TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Propane tanks interfere with WDH

I purchased an inexpensive round bar "Curt" brand, 1,000-pound WDH on ebay. It seems to be fine other than the fact that when I try to "cam" the brackets over to tighten the chains with the brackets that attach to the trailer A frame, my horizontal propane tanks seem to be right in the way. The WDH came with a lever to flip the cams. On each side this lever hits the tank a few degrees before the cam flips.

To use it when I brought my "new to me" '02 2720SL TM home last weekend, I backed off on the tension one link at a time until I could push the cams over by hand w/o the tool. The trailer was empty and it towed very well even though the fron opf my ttruck was raised a half inch. I am sure when I load the trailer and my truck up, I will need a lot more tension on the springs to keep the front of my truck down.

I was thinking I could put a jack under the spring bar and raise it until I can flip the cam by hand then let it down. I have a scissor jack for the truck that should work. (Reminds me... I need to think about how I will change a tire on trailer too!) But it seems like there must be an easier way.

Another idea is to make a lever that is angled at the end and won't roll sideways when I lift on it. I am thinking I would be able to flip it without the tank interfering with the tool if I engineered it right.

So my real question, before I go off to reinvent the lever, is has anyone had the same problem and how are you dealing with it?

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Jim
Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Wdh

Jim,

Many of us just use the tongue jack and jack the TV and TM up a few extra inches until the WDH bars/chain can be easily attached. No tool required.

An electric tongue jack makes this even easier but I'm still doing it the hard way. I've never even tried the tool that came with my WDH.

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Jim-NY

Default That easy?

Thanks Ray!

I am a little embarrassed now that I see the answer was so obvious. I don't plan to get an electric hitch jack right away. I need the exercise

Jim
Old 06-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim -

I'm trying to visualize what the snap-up brackets and the tool look like. Can you, perhaps, post a link or a photo? Is the snap-up tool anything elaborate? On my Reese hitch, it is nothing more than a length of straight pipe. And no part of the tool or the bracket comes anywhere near the propane tanks - everything is well forward of them.

Did you get the Curt model 17002? If so, it appears that it can be equipped with either 14" or 16" bars. Which ones do you have? Is it possible you have long bars, where short ones would be more appropriate?

Could the brackets on the A-frame be moved forward an inch or so to provide more clearance? Assuming you have 6 or 7 chain links involved in the lift, a small adjustment shouldn't hurt anything.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Jim-NY

Bill,

I bought the WDH on ebay before I saw the TM that I bought. I had sent a surrogate who lives near the seller to look the TM over and then I negotiated the price over the phone. I didn’t think the physical fit for the WDH on the trailer would be an issue, so I bought it before I went to get the trailer. It is Curt model # 17002 and the spring bars are about 30 inches long! I could not attach the brackets directly above the chain connectors on the bars because of the arms that swing out to support the living room slide out. The tool is a piece of pipe with a slight bend in it. This 1,000-pound WDH might have been overkill, but I expect it will work once I find a good method to easily hook it up.

I have the TM set up in my yard so I can test it out and learn before I take it anyplace. For example, my first shower in it this morning was a learning experience. I found some posts here tonight on ways folks attach their showerhead so they can shower with both hands. In a few days I will be hitching it up again to take it to a dump station. (Never having been there or done that, I have a feeling it will be another learning experience.) I will have time to try some WDH connection methods before I drive there. If I am still having problems, I will take photos and figure out how to post them.

I really appreciate the quality of your posts. I have read many of them over the last month or so. Thank you for being such a dedicated contributor!

Jim