TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Adding AC to side of TM

In March, I wrote
Quote:
I'm not clear on where you would set up a portable air conditioner, since the back of the unit has to be vented outside. With some effort, I guess it could be mounted against one of the louvered windows on one end, with some temporary (cardboard?) ducting to ensure that the hot air is exhausted outside.
Aha! Some of these things come with a preformed plastic ducting kit that will fit in a window. Anybody used one?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
Windbreaker

Default Re:Adding AC to side of TM

Yea, about 10 years ago I put one of those in an old hunting camp trailer. Worked great. Had forgotten all about that, guess I am getting old.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #13
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Has anyone tried running the overhead vent on low while using their side AC? I did some research several years back in preperation for DIYing central AC in a house we owned at the time and learned that you have to get rid of the hot air if you want cool air to replace it. Central house AC returns the hot air to the AC unit for cooling if properly installed of course and RV roof AC does the same because of it's location. The TM side mounted AC apparently needs help however and someone out there must have figured out how to do it. A small aftermarket roof exhaust fan installed at each end might do an even better job. A large paddle fan mounted on the kitchen ceiling should stir the air as well :-).

Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:09 AM   #14
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

I always use the fantastic vent when running my side mounted AC. And I use the outside air mode rather than the recirc. Seems to do a decent job. Add a small pedestal fan to the door side counter and even the back bed can get "some" cooling, if yer lucky enough to be close to the wardrobe. Also found it's easier to move air aft if the wardrobe is removed and left behind!

Denny_A
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Thanks Denny, that's good to know. It's just the wife and me these days and I've toyed with the idea of removing and storing the upper bathroom walls and replacing them with a pull around curtain to save weight. that would also allow the curtain to be pulled back when the bathroom is not in use and provide more room for air circulation from a side AC. I've already removed the bathroom door because it always seemed to be in the way and had planned to replace it with a shower curtain. Since you can't see in unless you are standing right in front of it we have just left it open.

Also, do you know what the factory side AC BTU rating is? I have been thinking a 5000 BTU window unit would be large enough but it doesn't sound like that is true. We passed on factory air because of it's weight plus my wife hated the noise the roof air in our 5th wheel made. Also, our travel is mostly fall/winter/spring. There have been a couple of times when it would have been nice to have however. We do have dark reflective film on all our TM's windows.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #16
smookie

Default Side AC VS Roof AC

We had two Trailmanors with cabinet AC and our new one has the roof AC. Except for the noise, the roof AC is 100% better. I want to try the suggestion of insulating the metal inside the cover to cut down some of the sound.

We've even figured out a way to prop open the bathroom flaps at the ceiling with two wooden clothespins so the AC gets in there too. Just take the clothespins and clip them to the bottom edge of the flap. Prop the other ends against the top of the wall. Voila! It doesn't look bad from the other side either.

With the cabinet AC, we would aim the air towards the front or back and it didn't circulate without an extra fan. There are only 3 choices of where the air aims - forward or right or left.

The roof AC has very effective deflectors that shoot the cool air all the way to the extremes of the space.

smookie
Old 08-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #17
eapple516

Wink Side Air Conditioner

We have a side air conditioner on our 2619 and we live in Florida where is is hot/warm, humid all year and we have not had any problem with keeping nice and cool....we do have two circulating fans that move the cold around better, but we actually prefer the side mounted one to the roof mounted one....