TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
chipper229

Default Installing a non-TM hitch receiver

Have been trying to figure out best way to install a (bike) hitch receiver on my 3124KB and am thinking a welded receiver would be better (and probably cheaper) than the bolt on from TM. Anyone out there have a factory welded hitch receiver (or even pics of the bolt on from TM)? Would appreciate advice and pics on best place/manner to attach to rear frame.
Thanks
Joe
3124KB
2015 Toyota Highlander
equalizer WDH, Tekonsha P2 controller
Trailer Valet XL
Equalizer WDH, bike rack hitch receiver
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chipper229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I do not have a regular TM rec. hitch I bought mine off craigslist and I welded it into the frame of the TM it also brings it up higher so no ground scraping
in this post #27

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ke+rack&page=3

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Gees, chipper, after you opened yourself up ("Would appreciate advice..."), I am surprised there are not lots of comments! ;-)

But, from postings on other forums, in addition to this one, most people who carry bikes on the back strongly recommend doing lateral stabilization, in addition to securing bikes to the hitch. The side-to-side motion of the bikes as you go down the highway has been said to stress the hitch and rack, leading to failure.

Take that as you will, but it makes sense to me. I have seen bike racks swaying side-to-side on an SUV, not even a trailer. Can imagine it would be much worse behind a trailer. Also, some have said insurance won't pay for bikes damaged when mounted on the back of a trailer. Again, others have stated this, so you should check with your agent for verification.

Good luck, and build it very sturdily!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

My rack has no sway what so ever, it does have a bolt that goes through and gets torqued to 75 ft pounds. If you do get sway on the bike rack this little job should take care of that. But then again, I am not using the thin wall oem bumper material as stated in our pm. I have no worries and if you do yours you should not have any problems either.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Well, I went out to take a picture of my hitch only to discover that there is not much to see. My 06 has the newer style bumper. Viewing from the back, the hitch is snug up against the bottom of the bumper. From the underside, there is a skirt that I hope hides some additional reinforcement/attachment. From what is visible, it looks like there is attachment at the ends of the hitch.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
chipper229

Default Installing a non-TM hitch receiver

Had a local welding shop weld my Ultra-Fab 35-946403 Trailer Hitch Receiver (Amazon) on today. Had to cut a piece from the aluminum pan and a nibble from the white plastic bumper, but overall I'm very pleased. Really like Craigrrr's suggestion for the hitch lock and promptly ordered one. My rack is easy to slide on the receiver and then torques down, but not as tight as I'd like. The lock seems to correct that based on lots of high reviews.
If you decide to go with the ultrafab, here are some tips: it extends from 41-77 or so inches (extensions not shown in my pic, but can see on Amazon). Extensions will need an additional piece of stock welded on to insert up through the edges of the storage pan to be welded on the frame. Unit has a 2" drop, so I had the shop flip it upside down to improve ground clearance. When they trim the pan for the 2" receiver to extend through, consider having them trim the rear of the receiver before installation so it doesn't interfere with putting things in and out of storage. The installation seems very secure and strong. Planning our first TM shakedown cruise next month, will let you know how the bikes made the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	13897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	13898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	13899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	13900  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper229 View Post
Had a local welding shop weld my Ultra-Fab 35-946403 Trailer Hitch Receiver (Amazon) on today. Had to cut a piece from the aluminum pan and a nibble from the white plastic bumper, but overall I'm very pleased. Really like Craigrrr's suggestion for the hitch lock and promptly ordered one. My rack is easy to slide on the receiver and then torques down, but not as tight as I'd like. The lock seems to correct that based on lots of high reviews.
If you decide to go with the ultrafab, here are some tips: it extends from 41-77 or so inches (extensions not shown in my pic, but can see on Amazon). Extensions will need an additional piece of stock welded on to insert up through the edges of the storage pan to be welded on the frame. Unit has a 2" drop, so I had the shop flip it upside down to improve ground clearance. When they trim the pan for the 2" receiver to extend through, consider having them trim the rear of the receiver before installation so it doesn't interfere with putting things in and out of storage. The installation seems very secure and strong. Planning our first TM shakedown cruise next month, will let you know how the bikes made the trip.
Hi ya chipper229, hi ya
So...can you open the rear shell without removing the bike rack and receiver, or can you simply slide it out a ways to gain the clearance needed?
Froggy
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
chipper229

Hey Tom, yes I can open the shell without removing the receiver. I have a Thule double bike rack with integrated lock that swivels down 45 degrees with a flip of a sturdy switch. I'll have to remove the bikes, but can leave the bike rack locked to the hitch receiver (and swiveled back up to the 90 degree position) at the campsite and lock the bikes to the rack. The bikes won't be in their bike rack cradles, don't believe there's enough clearance for that with the TM open, but they can be locked to the rack with wheels on the ground and protected from the elements by the rear shell overhang. We're just thrilled we can take our bikes along with us!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

looks good chipper

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE