TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Drawbar drop for F-150?

I will soon have a new tow vehicle-a 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew short bed. What is the standard drop for a non-lifted Trailmanor 2922KD?
Do you measure from the ground?
My current tow vehicle has air shocks that will automatically level. The new truck does not. I think the current drawbar has a 2" drop. I plan to try the current one, but if anyone knows that a different drawbar drop is needed for the F-150, please let me know.
Thanks
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

With the TM tongue level measure from the tongue to ground and that will tell the drop or rise needed. It will also depend how much the back of the truck settles with the TM tongue on the ball. You want the TM tongue as level as possible. Note without a wdh you may exceed the tongue weight limit of the truck hitch. Take a look at the thread on sitting up a WDH, the procedure there will be the same wither or not you use one to determine ball height.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you measure the height to get it level with no weight on the ball, then as ScrubJay says, the measurement wil be wrong as soon as you put weight on the ball and the truck settles. And if you put weight in the bed of the truck, or passengers in the back seat, it will increase the error.

The amount of settling depends on how soft ("comfy") the suspension is in your truck, of course, so there is no standard measurement.

Most weight-distributing hitches have an adjustable-height ball, so you'll be able to level it by actually hitching up the TM, putting some dummy weight like cement blocks in the truck bed, and choosing the ball height.

Actually, the Eco-Boost SuperCrew Short Bed has a pretty decent towing capacity, as long as you ordered the factory tow package. It depends largely on the rear axle ratio, but it is possible that as long as you load reasonably, you could get away without a WDH. All other comments still apply.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the replies. Bill it does have the max tow package with the 3.73 rear axle ratio, off road package and LT 18" tires. Overkill, I know, but this gives me future flexibility. I'm at the age where I don't want (or may not be able) to buy another tow vehicle
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
clown9644

The one thing everyone forgets--Your truck's tow hitch has a 500 pound limit unless you use a weight distribution hitch. Honest, lay on your back and read the label. With wdh it is way over the limit but without it you are pushing your luck. Average TM is closer to 700 lbs at the hitch.

This appears to be normal hitch limit, not a Ford thing.

Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

It depends on how you load the trailer, of course, but TrailManors tend to have 400 to 600 pound hitch weights. A 500# hitch weight will put more than 700# on the rear axle (it takes 200+ pounds off of the front axle). The Weight Distributing Hitch, helpful for all and mandatory for most of us, solves both problems.

Most installations provide heavier hitch weight ratings when you use a Weight Distributing Hitch, as well.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I went out for the first time this last weekend. The 2 inch drop I had for my old 2003 Envoy worked just fine, the unit stayed nice and level.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
T and C
TrailManor Master

Hi Marco,

I have a 2010 F-150 crew cab short bed. The motor is not the V-6 Eco Boost but otherwise the truck is very similar if not identical to yours.

I tow my 3023 with a draw bar with almost no drop at all. Just the thickness of the flat part with the hole in it for the ball. So the ball ends up actually above the level of the part that goes in the receiver. I had air bags installed as soon as I got the truck and I just level things up by adding air to the bags, and off I go.

I do not use a weight distributing hitch at all. So far I have towed over 20,000 miles with no problems.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote