TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
raygor

Default 2720sd owner has Explorer tow vehicle?

We just bought a 2720sd but unfortunately own a v6 4.0L 2002 Ford Explorer with a class 2 hitch. The question is if I get a class 3 hitch added and maybe a tranny cooler could I tow my camper. This if if I travel Midwest ( no mountains) light packing, no water.
raygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What year is your Explorer? That is very important, since Ford changed the entire design in (I think) 2010. The 2009 V-6 was rated 3500 pounds, which will be barely adequate in the circumstances you mention. In 2012/2013, the V-6 is rated 5000 pounds ("properly equipped with the optional Class 3 towing package"), and the I-4 is rated only 2000 pounds. A rating of 2000 pounds is completely inadequate. A rating of 5000 pounds would be great, but the Class 2 hitch says you do not have the towing package. And the towing package includes much more than the hitch. So I would be quite concerned.

Assuming you decide to try to retrofit more towing capacity into your vehicle, you should start with the knowledge that there is no "maybe" about a tranny cooler. It is a must, no matter where you tow.

You will certainly have to add an electric brake controller, and a seven-pin connector (and associated wiring harness) at the rear bumper. I wouldn't worry about a larger alternator, but I'm not sure what to do about the rear suspension components, which will probably be overloaded.

You will certainly need a weight-distributing hitch.

Finally, you are probably aware that all trailer manufacturers list "dry weight" in their specs. There are valid reasons for this practice, but it is also misleading because it doesn't reflect actual loaded ready-to-camp weight. Most folks on this board have found that no matter how light they try to pack, the ready-to-camp TM weighs at least 3600-3800 pounds, and most go over 4000 pounds. Hitch weight of a TM tends to be around 14% of total weight, or 500-550 pounds.

I hate to be discouraging, but from what you have told us, I am not very confident that this is a good way to go. Maybe if you plan to stay within 100 miles of home, and tow slowly and gently ... I don't really recommend this, but it will give you a taste of TM camping, and might cause you to consider a more capable tow vehicle. The upper midwest would be a great place to find out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
moaboy

I tow with an Odyssey or Venza rated at 3500# just fine.
Do a search and you will find a number of members who tow with an Explorer with that capacity and up.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is not the classic "Is 3500 pounds enough?" question. The question was "What is the towing capacity of his vehicle?" Now that the OP has edited his post to show that it is a 2002 Explorer, and that it does not have the factory towing package, we can look up the towing capacity on the Ford web site, and find that it is 3500 pounds. But other Explorers do indeed have a 2000 pound capacity.

Since the vehicle does not have the factory tow package, the OP must add a Class III hitch, brake controller, wiring harness, 7-pin connector, WDH, and transmission cooler. At that point, the 3500-pound question becomes appropriate.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
raygor

Thanks for the input. I think to be safe I'd feel better if I get a Ford Explorer V8. Don't want to tow right on the limit.
raygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Scott O

You are a wise man...welcome to the forum.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Welcome to the forum. It is always good to check your options out. When we had our 2720SL on the CAT scales in NM there was 3680# on the axle. That is 40# above the rating according to TM and 180# above the rating according to Dexter.
Now for the conditions: we had a two week supply of food in the camper, one propane bottle full the other at 3/4 full. No water, two size 27 batteries. Some cool weather clothing, bedding and the recirc toilet was at 3 gallons. Also 34# for two solar panels
The WDH was connected with the springs to give level travel.

It is very hard the way we travel to get the SL down to 3500# and I imagine the SD is very much the same.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Mrfixit

I tow a 2720SL with a 2002 V6 Explorer. We don't currently travel far, and mostly within 2 hours of home near Charlotte. At the scales my weights were 400lbs tongue and 3080 axle. We travel very lightly. I've upgraded my class II with a class III hitch, added a brake controller and WDH. Also added a large tranny cooler. I know I don't have the towing gear since the vehicle came from the factory with a class II hitch, but always tow with OD off and map out my trip for the flattest route. Also never travel over 65mph and try to maintain 60mph. I have the lift kit with 15" tires. I have done what I need to for the way I use and tow the TM, knowing that I'll upgrade my TV in the future. I have had no problems in about 5000 miles with this camper.
BTW, the Gen 3 Explorer ('02-'05 I think) has the 7-wire harness installed even if it has no towing package. Up front, the harness end is behind the glove box. The Ford adapter from Prodigy hooked right to it. The other end terminates near the right rear tail light. Just needed to extend the wires to the 7-way rv plug.
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
BigBear

Default Also had a 2003 explorer with a class 2 hitch.

I also had a similar vintage 2003 explorer with a class 2 hitch which I upgraded to a class 3 hitch, which I had for about 6 years and drove mainly in Canada in colder climates with my former 2720sl. I did not add a transmission cooler and had no problems towing in steep mountains. However, handling is not ideal and I was basically limited to a maximum speed of about 60 mph, especially around curves. Above this speed it did not handle well. Once I upgraded to an SUV with a 5000 lb tow capacity and built in class 3 hitch I had no problem passing and going around curves at 65 to 70 mph. In that way I would say it is not a desireable vehicle although I was able to get by with it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
moaboy

Bill,
If you read his post his fundamental question is " could I tow my camper?"
He qualifies his questions with "if I do this..." but the overriding question becomes if properly equipped can my rig do it? And I responded from the perspective as someone who happily and successfully uses a 3500# rated tv.