TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
rarin2go

Default Fresh Water Tank

Should the fresh water tank be emptied before putting TM in garage.It may
be a month between trips,maybe a little longer.Does it hurt the seals to
leave it empty.I've heard different comments.We are new owners of a
2008 2720SL. It had water in fresh water tamk when delivered.
rarin2go
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I usually keep our water tank full while it's here at home but empty it before we leave on a camping trip (and don't travel with it full).

If the TM is going to sit for a while, I put in a few drops of liquid chlorine bleach via the large inlet and then fill it up.

I usually remember to empty the hot water heater so that the anode rod doesn't corrode away.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
If the TM is going to sit for a while, I put in a few drops of liquid chlorine bleach via the large inlet and then fill it up.

I am not too sure that long term chlorine in the plastic tank is a good idea or not. I read somewhere that it might not be good for plastic. That said, I do disinfect my water system each year with Chlorox, but I rinse thoroughly afterward to remove the residual chlorine.

I hafta leave my water system empty through winter because the TM is left outside.

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
PopBeavers

I always kept mine empty, but I think I will start storing it full:

1. I leave in earthquake country. 40 gallons of drinking water might come in handy some day.

2. my city water has chlorine in it, not enough to sanitize, but perhaps enough to keep stuff from growing.

3. a tank full of water is a tank with no air. some bad stuff that might be tempted to grow in a warm moist environment might not grow in a flood.

I always leave home full of water, because on rare occasions I have reached a destination that had a problem with their water.

Though I keep the tank full, I do not keep the water heater full.

I sanitize once a year, in the spring, done already.

I do not need to winterize.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I don't put in a lot of chlorine, just a few drops. Our well water is not chlorinated.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Water tanks

We've always stored our RV's with empty tanks (they might freeze in this area), and then we just use the water normally during the season. We've never had a problem with the water getting "stale" in the fresh water tank, but we'd just flush it out or use a little bleach if it did.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I am not too sure that long term chlorine in the plastic tank is a good idea or not. I read somewhere that it might not be good for plastic. That said, I do disinfect my water system each year with Chlorox, but I rinse thoroughly afterward to remove the residual chlorine.

I hafta leave my water system empty through winter because the TM is left outside.

Chap
In rereading my post and going back and rereading B&Ds also, I now see that they only use a couple of drops of chlorine. I was thinking the 1/4 cup per 15 gallons that is used in sterilizing the system, which might hurt the plastic, but surely a couple of drops or so would probably be benefitial........I might do that also if I weren't on a public system that probably has chlorine in the water already.

Chap
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
NYJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
In rereading my post and going back and rereading B&Ds also, I now see that they only use a couple of drops of chlorine. I was thinking the 1/4 cup per 15 gallons that is used in sterilizing the system, which might hurt the plastic, but surely a couple of drops or so would probably be benefitial........I might do that also if I weren't on a public system that probably has chlorine in the water already.

Chap
Doesn't the chlorine bleach come from the store in a plastic bottle? I'd be surprised if there was an incompatibiltiy of some sort.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJeff View Post
Doesn't the chlorine bleach come from the store in a plastic bottle? I'd be surprised if there was an incompatibiltiy of some sort.
Good point, Jeff. And what do people dump into their plastic lined swimming pools....chlorine.

I don't know where I read that too much chlorine is not good for RV plumbing, but I retract my above posts.....unless I can find documentation.

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I live in SoCal, so I, like Wayne, don't have to worry about freezing. But I've gotten in the habit of storing my tank empty under the expectation that any residual water would evaporate shortly thereafter, primarily through the vent hole. There's not an easy way to check if that is actually happening, though. We usually go out about once a month, and always leave the house with a full tank of water. We too are in earthquake country, so Wayne's thought about having some water in reserve isn't a bad idea. If an earthquake hits, and you don't have water, you are obviously too late to get any, especially if you need to quickly evacuate.

My immediate thought is that I don't really like the idea of water sitting in the tank for that long, as stuff might grow. But then I just think about all the gallon bottles of distilled and spring water in the grocery store that sit for months at a time. Clearly, that water has not been sterilzed, nor is it bottled in a sterile facility, and you never see stuff growing in the store, or even if you leave a few jugs sitting around the house (which I've done before without giving it a second thought). It's probably filtered, but the stuff coming to your house is purified too.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote