TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
simplepark

Default Which TM Model to Buy?

My wife and I have decided to purchase a TM this spring during one of the RV shows in our area. Now the question is which one? We have three children under age 10 and a small dog. We are the proud owners of a brand new 2006 Honda Pilot and we received hitch money for Christmas. With five people camping together in a TM, I am pretty sure we will need one that sleeps six. I realize is also depends on costs, but we are willing to spend a little more if we can justify it through specific reasons, which is why I started this thread. We are leaning toward the 2720 based on basic necessity, but we'd love to hear opinions of why other models are enjoyed and what items of particular mention should I consider. We are in the northwest so lots of mountains, rain and cooler weather. Thanks for all of your opinions and comments!

TM: Not sure which one yet
TV: 2006 Honda Pilot - V6 - no hitch yet.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Debian Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepark
We are leaning toward the 2720 based on basic necessity
Based on your TV I think that is your only option. And... being you live out west some would say you are pushing it with a 2720 being a Pilot is only rated to pull 3500 (4500 4WD) Big long hills will put a good load on the motor/tranny.

I HATE to be only of those "Do a search guys" but there are a few pilot discussions. Here is one
Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
BrigCA61

Right along with Debian Dog here... I would also agree that this combination is very iffy... especially with the vehicle being loaded fully with 5 passengers. Mountain towing would be out of the question. You'd be limited to flat land towing and small hills (which is what we primarily do and our TV is rated for 5000lbs) until a more powerful tow vehicle can be afforded. I don't want to discourage you but it's best to know what you're up against.

On the brighter side, if you can buy something more powerful to tow with in a year or so, you can still enjoy low elevation camping which is great for getting used to towing the trailer and getting used to camping in it. We are fully enjoying our experience and do plan to buy a different tow vehicle within the next year.

Good luck in your adventure!

Brigitte
Old 02-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
PopBeavers

You may not need as much bunk space as you think. We got the 2720 a year ago because it will sleep six. My two kids are 23 and 25, but they still go camping with us because my 23 year old son races mountain bikes and his older sister is an avid fan.

She sleeps in her back packing tent because she doesn't like stereophonic snoring. Our son gets the front bunk and sleeps right through it. We like the extra storage and larger bed of the 2720 versus 2719.

With your kids approaching 10 I would think it is already practical in at least some situations for them the sleep outside in their own tent. If it suddenly starts to rain they can always come inside. We frequently eat breakfast inside and the rest of the meals outside at the picnic table.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Freedom

We have a 2619, but have always wished we had gotten a 2720 with the bigger bed in the back. That would also let your kids sleep lengthwise (across the bed) and not have to set up the dinette each night. That is, as long as they're small. It also makes it easier for one of them to get up at night (or in the morning) without disturbing the others. Of course, if they're like our grand children, they LIKE to disturb the others! LOL
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
BrigCA61

Texas Camper is 100% right!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
CAmark
Site Sponsor

A month ago I was in a simiilar state as you, though the kids are grown and gone so it is just the two of us to accomodate. I have an '04 Pilot and went to an RV show in town. After gathering brochures and talking with several "light weight" trailer dealers I went home to do my own research. I did much of this on the Pilot as a TV since, depending on who you ask, the Pilot is either "no-way" or "marginal" or "adequate" or "no problem" as a TV. Denny A and others (thank you all) have quite extensive discussions in these forums that were helpful to me. The Pilot's factory tow package is essential for this work - this includes extra trans and power steering cooling as well as a class 3 hitch. Loading with care will be called for but I anticipate we will be well equipped for our needs.

We are currently waiting delivery of our 2720SL so obviously I have concluded that we will be able to make the Honda work for us without problem; though please understand that this is still educated speculation at this time. Do your homework, make your own decision, and be comfortable with it.

My remaining question is that Honda recommends against a WDH. I cannot get a satisfactory answer as to why this is; I assume it is due to the frame having to carry some of the load and it is not designed with this in mind. That said, I have seen several posts here (again Denny A with a Honda van?) that talk of WDH use on other mini-SUV or mini-van with good results.
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We towed our 2619 over all the hills and passes between Seattle and Cape Cod in the fall of 2002 with our 2002 Odyssey and ran with the big dogs all the way. The Honda V-6 has plenty of power and will not be a problem if you are willing to let it rev in lower gears on the climbs and avoid the really high country in Colorado and elsewhere. IMO getting down a mountain in one piece warrants far more concern and attention than getting up there with a GCWR-maxed-out short-wheelbase TV. Make sure your TM's brakes work properly (some have had problems - including us), you have a good, properly adjusted brake controller and you've read all the accounts here by people who have had their trailer try to take control on a descent.

On the WDH: There is a Pilot owner's website and if there have been any problem with using a WDH you should find out about them there. My take after reading the Honda/Acura fluff about using a WDH is that they are concerned people will use a WDH that is too strong for their tongue load, cinch it down too tight and overload the front suspension.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Glenn in TN

We towed our 2619 for several years with a 97 Dodge Caravan. It had the 3.3 l. engine and automatic. I was afraid the transmission would be too lightweight, but it was still good when we got rid of it in the summer of 2004 with @140K on it. The only time I saw a heavy load in it was on a trip to Arkansas. Their hiways are smoothed off hills with asphault. Some pulls up those hills were hard, especially since my wife is going to do the speed limit no matter what (and she has to drive in the hills)! We did have a class 3 hitch and a very tall hitch mount, but no WDH or sway bar, although our hitch installer and TM dealers said we would need. Our Escursion we have now doesn't have those either, but I doubt comes close to needing.

We can sleep 6 easily, but care needs to be taken with the table bed. The very corners of the table will not take a direct step from even a lightweight child without breaking off. Ours has been broke for years. I've noticed that our seat cushions are not very good to sit on for a long period of time. We spend most of our time outdoors (as campers should)!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Glenn in TN

We took the trip to the Smokie Mountains right after we bought it. Later that same summer we went to the North Shore area of Lake Superior. The only "pull" we had was on a trip to Lake Norfork in Ark. On interstates or state highways, we never felt like we needed anything else.

Of course it didn't pull near as well as the Excursion.