TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
TnP-2027

Default New TM Owner Check-In

Not sure if this is the best place for new owners to check in?

We are super excited about our new TM!

We just bought a 2009 2720. It has the little sofa up front, so not sure what flavor of 2720 that makes it in 2009 models?
TnP-2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
TnP-2027

I posted too soon, I was going to add more details.

This is our first TM. We are upgrading from a little Rockwood pop-up - 1982 vintage. The pop-up is tiny. We were facing the reality that it was too small for my wife and I, our 13 y.o., and 2 dogs.

We were wondering what to do on our trip up to the Black Hills of SD when we saw a TM for sale at the campground we were staying in!

We talked to the owners and got interested in the idea of a hard-sided fold-up/pop-up/high-low camper.

After they showed us how to fold it up and set it back up we decided to go for it! We gave a down payment and we go back to SD to pick it up at the end of the month!
Old 07-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
TnP-2027

Moderators - please move if I am posting in the wrong section!

We are trying to get our truck ready to pick up the TM.

1999 Lexus LX-470 (basically a 100 series Land Cruiser). It is rated to tow 6500 lbs.

The TM website says tongue weight is ~400 lbs for the 2720, but the current owners said the tongue weight is 700 lbs?!?

Either way, I was going to try to find air bags for the rear coils. The LX 470 has a self-leveling suspension so I don't want it to freak out when we hook up. It had no problem with the pop-up, but that thing is pretty light.

I also need to add a brake controller and a 7-pin connector. I was thinking about the Tekonsha P3: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...eID=1999203485

And this connector: https://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html

Any advice from the veterans?
Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and the TrailManor. If I might suggest, join. It’s the best $12 you can spend. You only have 30 days of unlimited access then it gets really limited. Will you be getting the blue owners book when you pick the camper up?
If available it will help you with using the camper.
I took pictures of all the appliance description/info tags so I know what version/model of appliance. That makes it easier to get info or parts if needed.
Again welcome to the forum.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
TnP-2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Welcome to the forum and the TrailManor. If I might suggest, join. It’s the best $12 you can spend. You only have 30 days of unlimited access then it gets really limited. Will you be getting the blue owners book when you pick the camper up?
If available it will help you with using the camper.
I took pictures of all the appliance description/info tags so I know what version/model of appliance. That makes it easier to get info or parts if needed.
Again welcome to the forum.
Got it! The $12 sounds like a good investment!
We did see a big blue binder that the current owners said they would pass on to us. It had the toilet manual, manual for the microwave, etc.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
TnP-2027

One more question - the current owners said the awning bit it in a recent storm.

Does anyone know the replacement model from Fiamma?
Wondering if the F35Pro is it?

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/fiammas...832290489.html
Old 07-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default The Self- Leveling feature is nice, but it's NOT genuine "weight distribution ".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnP-2027 View Post
Moderators - please move if I am posting in the wrong section!

We are trying to get our truck ready to pick up the TM.

1999 Lexus LX-470 (basically a 100 series Land Cruiser). It is rated to tow 6500 lbs.

The TM website says tongue weight is ~400 lbs for the 2720, but the current owners said the tongue weight is 700 lbs?!?

Either way, I was going to try to find air bags for the rear coils. The LX 470 has a self-leveling suspension so I don't want it to freak out when we hook up. It had no problem with the pop-up, but that thing is pretty light.

I also need to add a brake controller and a 7-pin connector. I was thinking about the Tekonsha P3: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...eID=1999203485

And this connector: https://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html

Any advice from the veterans?
Tekonsha P3 will be great.

TM trailers do tow a lot better more with-than-advertised tongue weight. But 700 lbs seems a bit high to me - you could somewhat "adjust" for this by packing heavy things further from the tongue , closer to the middle (or rear) of the TM while getting ready for a trip. I have a super-heavyweight 2619, and I tow with only 550-600 lbs on the hitch.

A slightly more complicated issue is involved in the question of the Lexus "self-leveling" feature versus a weight distribution hitch. Because the Lexus has a big V8 up front, and weighs a lot, you could get by without adding a weight distribution hitch. BUT- and especially with such heavy tongue weight on the hitch, you will be more safe by using a WDH. Without a WDH, too much of the "weight" from the hitch rides on the rear axle of the Lexus, and too little is present on the front axle.

The Lexus feature levels the Tow Vehicle by adjusting the hydraulic pressure within the struts. It does not actually MOVE that weight from the rear axle to the front axle - the rear axle remains with substantial extra weight. In steering and braking, nearly all of the work is being done by the tires of the front axle. In order to do a really good job, the extra hitch weight should be distributed among all 4 Lexus tires - moving weight from the rear axle to the front axle. A WDH creates torque around the hitch, actually moving the weight into better balance.

My own "upper-trim" 4Runner includes a lesser version of your dynamic balancing feature, and my 4Runner is a much smaller vehicle. But, if you did a careful emergency stop (in a straight line) with and without a WDH attachment, you would have much better stopping distance with WDH. The best models of WDH hitches also include sway control, an additional valuable feature for emergency maneuvers.

To summarize: You can get by without one in normal driving, but you will be towing with much higher safety by using a WDH with the Lexus and TM. Congratulations on your new Trailer, and welcome to TrailManor Owner's Forum!
Old 07-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
TnP-2027

Thank you all, I appreciate the knowledge - looks like I have some reading to do!

To complicate things, I think I am fairly tied to the receiver I have. I say "think" b/c I know very little about WDH. We have replaced the factory rear bumper with a bumper for off-roading that has the receiver built in. It mounts to the frame rails.

I will do some reading and get back with y'all.

Thank you for the warm greetings and the info!
Old 07-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #9
Texastrailerguy

Default Welcome aboard

Welcome to family of Trailmanors. We just got back from Rapid City, S.D.. Spent a week up there. Went to Mt.Rushmore, rode the 1880 train, went thru Bear Country USA and laid around the campground alot. Myself,the wife and 2 kids(8 and 6 years old). There is alot to do. Alot we missed. Our 2007 2720's roof looks like a golf ball with all the dimples. We had 3 rain storms and 2 big hail storms, some of the hail about the size of tennis balls. We had no leaks except were the vents covers got broke. Gonna fix it all and get ready for the next little ride out with the kids.
Listen to Bill. He is wise. It took me a while to understand just how much he knows. If he doesn't know, he will tell you.
Texastrailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
TnP-2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Welcome aboard! You are going to love it here. And this is a great place to put your introductory posts.

As for hitch weight/ tongue weight. The dry (unloaded) hitch weight is somewhere well north of 300 pounds, as I'm sure you know. Once you have added factory options like air conditioner and awning, and then added all your own stuff, that weight increases, often well beyond 400 pounds. But I don't think 700 pounds is what you will experience. About $10 for a quick stop at a CAT scale will give you a real answer.

Please don't buy air bags until you read a couple of the tutorials in the Trail Manor Technical Library. The entrance to the library is at
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...splay.php?f=42
and there is a lot of good stuff in it, especially for a new owner.

I'm thinking particularly about these tutorials:
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=2616
and
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=2922

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Tekonsha P3 will be great.

TM trailers do tow a lot better more with-than-advertised tongue weight. But 700 lbs seems a bit high to me - you could somewhat "adjust" for this by packing heavy things further from the tongue , closer to the middle (or rear) of the TM while getting ready for a trip. I have a super-heavyweight 2619, and I tow with only 550-600 lbs on the hitch.

A slightly more complicated issue is involved in the question of the Lexus "self-leveling" feature versus a weight distribution hitch. Because the Lexus has a big V8 up front, and weighs a lot, you could get by without adding a weight distribution hitch. BUT- and especially with such heavy tongue weight on the hitch, you will be more safe by using a WDH. Without a WDH, too much of the "weight" from the hitch rides on the rear axle of the Lexus, and too little is present on the front axle.

The Lexus feature levels the Tow Vehicle by adjusting the hydraulic pressure within the struts. It does not actually MOVE that weight from the rear axle to the front axle - the rear axle remains with substantial extra weight. In steering and braking, nearly all of the work is being done by the tires of the front axle. In order to do a really good job, the extra hitch weight should be distributed among all 4 Lexus tires - moving weight from the rear axle to the front axle. A WDH creates torque around the hitch, actually moving the weight into better balance.

My own "upper-trim" 4Runner includes a lesser version of your dynamic balancing feature, and my 4Runner is a much smaller vehicle. But, if you did a careful emergency stop (in a straight line) with and without a WDH attachment, you would have much better stopping distance with WDH. The best models of WDH hitches also include sway control, an additional valuable feature for emergency maneuvers.

To summarize: You can get by without one in normal driving, but you will be towing with much higher safety by using a WDH with the Lexus and TM. Congratulations on your new Trailer, and welcome to TrailManor Owner's Forum!
Thanks guys.

I appreciate the links - very useful information.

I am going to see what I can do w/ my tow vehicle here, but the TM up in SD...