TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
tslon

Default Rust on new models

Just visited a dealer to see the Trailmanor models. At first, I was a little concerned on the quality until I realized it was because the materials are light weight. On further inspection on the exterior (and interior), I noticed rust on all bolts, pins, nuts and anything with a thread (really anything metal). I also saw over torqued bolts that crushed plates that flaked paint and caused rust. Nothing like looking at a white paint job with rust everywhere!

In a cluster with other brands of trailers, the Trailmanors where the only ones with this condition. Is this normal? They had three models (26,27,30) and all where in the same condition. Not sure if they were 2003 or 2004 but were all new.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Rust on new models

I've never seen anything like it. Not even in older models. Was this at a TM dealership or just some dealership? They were passing them as new? Where is this place located?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
tslon

Yes at a Trailmanor dealer in Delaware! Yes they were not used. Bathrooms were still wrapped in plastic. I was very interested in TM until I saw this. I am worried that I would have to replace all hardware within the first year as I am very particular in how my vehicles look.

The interior of the 26 looked like it was falling apart that is why I was concerned with the quality but the other two did not seem to have this problem. All three did have sloppy construction of over spilled glue and lacking finished carpentry work (loose edging and over glued spots on appliances and trim). Is this just pre sales cleanup? For the price, I don't expect to deal with these issues for at least a year or so.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
Cateye
Cateye

Please send me your e-mail address to: [email protected]
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[quote author=Texas_Camper link=board=23;threadid=1501;start=msg10598#msg1059 8 date=1067875568]PS, if this is not the dealer, please tell us who it is..
Thanks[/quote]And at the same time, suggest that you expect $2000 off the listed price as a consideration for the condition ... That'll get some attention.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #6
FishinFool

I have a 2003 model 2619 that I purchased earlier this year and absolutely love. I live on the Texas gulf coast and actually expect bolts, stabilizers to rust but I have noticed they are rusting a little quicker than I thought they would.

I am very diligent about spraying off the camper after being at state parks near the beaches. The trailer is stored in the garage.

Any suggestions on sprays to put on these metal parts to slow the rusting process down?

Thanks much!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Windbreaker

WD40 for moving parts, clearcoat for none moving parts. Both are sprays and go on easy. Any one who lives in high humidity, near salt or parks near swimming pools should use these products. Why don't I take my own advice? ???
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
tslon

The dealer was J & S Trailer Sales in Laurel, DE.

I'm not sure that the dealer is to blame except for maybe keeping them up a little. I just wanted to know if that is common with the Trailmanors. I see from the posts that the lack of quality I saw was not common but all the rust seems to be. Is it that the Trailmanors have more exposed metal parts because of their unique design? Would they not use a different metal or at least treat it better.

I like the question from fishinfool. Is there a way to treat the metal. What do the rest of you do that don't have the rust problems. Does this seem to be a 2003 model problem?
Old 11-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
arknoah

I have noticed rust on the screw heads in our trailer as well, but no other issues or problems with the unit. In fact, I believe they are well made. Ours has a problem with the molding because our dealer had to find a short, and while he put it back together pretty well, and did the silicon seal thing, you can still see that this was not the original work.

You may also wish to look at the frame to see if there is rust on them. Part of that will be result of road salt, and other things that occur for all of us. You can deal with most if not all of that with a wire brush and paint, which I just see as part of the maintenance of the unit.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
tslon

Out of curiosity what year is your Trailmanor?