TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
ATHiker

Default Trailmanor vs Casita

I'm curious if any Trailmanor owners considered Casitas. They both are tow vehicle friendly and have excellent value retention.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Dchisenh

Good morning ATHiker!

It's funny you mention both TMs and Casitas because that was the choice I had whittled my options down to as well. Obviously, you hit the nail on the head why, ease of towing and retention of value. They're both marketed towards folks who want a camper but cannot afford a traditional-sized one, but they have their clear differences. Now, just a disclaimer, I haven't physically been inside a Casita myself, but I have done quite a bit of research on them.

A Casita has an advantage in that it is more 'sealed' within its fiberglass shell, where a TM uses flaps and seals. It also comes with a small black tank as opposed to the recirculating Thetford in a TM.

I consider their ease of towing, resale value, insulation ability, and supportive fan base a draw.

Now, this is where the TM takes the cake: Floor space. Even the smallest TM opens up into a bigger footprint than the largest Casita. Combine that with the dedicated bed, larger bathroom, actual counter space to prepare food, and greater floor plan options...the TM wins hands down in my book!

I'd suggest that you do some looking around and find a few Casitas and a few TMs to look at and decide which one you would rather spend more time in and which suits your needs the best.

Good luck in your search!

-Dan

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
w/tow package, Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and
Pro Series RB3 Weight Distribution System
Round Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW
Dchisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

We looked at a number of smaller trailers. Casita, Scamp, MPG, R-Pod, Alpine, and Chalet were all considered. We were impressed with a number of models but I don't think any had free standing shower. You had to use the entire bathroom as a shower stall. We just didn't like that idea for a number of reasons. I think it came down to them feeling too small for extended periods of time. They would be great for a weekend or maybe a week.

We were getting this because we have retired and wanted to be able to travel for whatever period of time it took us to get homesick. It seems like that has turned out to be about 6 weeks. The TM feels like a home away from home. When we are traveling we spend most of our time out of the trailer. We like to hike, sight see, socialize with neighbors and just enjoy new places. It is large enough that we never feel cramped after dark or if the weather forces us in. There have been times where a lot of the day or a few days have been spent inside. Like when we went razor clamming in the winter. It is our second home at the beach, mountains, desert, and river.

There were a few drawbacks to the TM. I had to do something about the chemical smell of the toilet as DW has a nose on her like a bloodhound. The water was a bit of a pain when boondocking. And having to crawl over someone to get out of the bed is not ideal. The first two were fixed with modifications and the last is just something we live with. You can see my modification in my pictures & albums.

We have had it 3 years now and feel the 2720 SL TM is perfect for us and have no regrets having made the decision to buy it. The couch and chair setup in the front is ideal for 2 people. It makes the trailer feel very roomy. It works for 4 just add a camp chair, but it is a bit tight for sleeping. Not only that but there is this wonderful forum with great participants that makes any questions you might have easy to answer. Oh, and the TM will store in our garage.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
ChillEDog

I looked at Casitas, the factory is near where I live. They're quite attractively designed, but they are small. I have a TM 2619, and when we go camping, and there are Casitas around, I say to myself, I'm glad I did not get one of those ! Of course, I'm 6'3". I even find my 2619 cramped. It seemed a lot roomier at purchase time !
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

We went camping for several days last week. Two sites over from ours was a Casita 17. Nice camper. We've seen several that got our attention. The Casita owners were friendly and invited us in to look. Over the 5 days and nights we were camping near each other, it appeared that they spent a lot of time outside due to limited space. Our TM was great and allowed us to live in it for days. They had guests come by and visit and there was no space available inside. They towed it with the same vehicle as we. If I were to downsize, I might consider the Casita.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We were interested in buying a Casita too. We were serious enough to visit the factory. I actually really liked them. Two things ruled it out for us:

1) Casita doesn't have dealers, so they have a program where owners can show their campers to prospective buyers. We did this, and unfortunately one of the owners had let their camper get mildewy. HUGE turnoff to DW.

2) Casitas won't fit in a standard garage.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote