TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
jollyroger

More leaks in a 2010 Elkmont,
We are having a similar experience with severe leaks in an Elkmont that was manufactured in Oct. The first time we used it was in March 2010. We were in Florida when we were overwhelmed with leakage. We took the trailor back to the factory in Tenn. They were very accomodating and repaired the extensive damage. We hope that the leaks are stopped but we have not had vacation time to try it out again.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Beak12

Default Toliet Leaks

We have had our Elkmont sence Apr and we had a few problems that were fixed as soon as we found them. But this weekend we found a new one. When we fill the toilet to flush it real good for storage. We found if we use the shower hose to fill it all the way to the top the toilet leaks at the base and then drips on the ground. We have not talked to TM about it as yet. I know they we address the issue but has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
lemon4sure

Wow, I sure wish I had seen this forum prior to purchasing my 2010 Elkmont Bunk House. We picked up our new trailer on May 20th and on May 22 discovered it leaks like crazy. Water literally running down the walls. Windows leaking, vent is leaking, outside storage bins leaking, roof leaks on both sides of the trailer. Carpet saturated, cabinets warping due to the water....it's a mess! TrailManor offered to repair the leaks-sorry, not good enough. We had to threaten litigation to get a new trailer- shouldn't have to do that, but it was the only way to get their attention. TrailManor is building us a new trailer- so hopefully this won't happen again. I really thought this was an isolated incident, however after reading this thread, I'm very doubtful. I do expect a quality product for the $$ we put out for this trailer...no excuses. I'll give them a chance to make good on it, but if we have any leakage on the next trailer, we will never purchase or recommend a TrailManor product to anyone and get our money back.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
brulaz

I just don't understand why they are having so many problems with leakage in the new Elkmonts. Isn't the roof using the same technology & materials as their other trailers?

John, with respect to your toilet problem, is that a re-circulating or standard toilet? We've never filled ours up that far on our standard toilet, just held the foot pedal down for a long time which flushes and drains at the same time. So far no leaks there.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I just don't understand why they are having so many problems with leakage in the new Elkmonts. Isn't the roof using the same technology & materials as their other trailers?

John, with respect to your toilet problem, is that a re-circulating or standard toilet? We've never filled ours up that far on our standard toilet, just held the foot pedal down for a long time which flushes and drains at the same time. So far no leaks there.
It's a standard toilet- because of the newer style design of the drain lines (one hook up for the black water and another one for the gray water) you have to move the drain hose. In all my previous RV's there was only one and two valves (one for black and one for grey) I did not worry about having enough flow to clean out the drain hose I just used the full gray water tank to flush the line after draining the black tank. That is why I filled the toilet all the way to the top.

PS: When I had a 2720SL with the re-circulating toilet I would also fill it until I had water half way up the bowl and then open the drain under the toilet. Never had a leak.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
It's a standard toilet- because of the newer style design of the drain lines (one hook up for the black water and another one for the gray water) you have to move the drain hose. In all my previous RV's there was only one and two valves (one for black and one for grey) I did not worry about having enough flow to clean out the drain hose I just used the full gray water tank to flush the line after draining the black tank. That is why I filled the toilet all the way to the top.

PS: When I had a 2720SL with the re-circulating toilet I would also fill it until I had water half way up the bowl and then open the drain under the toilet. Never had a leak.
John,

It really isn't a good thing to fill the black water tank so full that it backs-up into the toilet. However, it still shouldn't leak into the camper. If it is just leaking from the top of the tank onto the ground, that's a little more acceptable. If fact, there may be a vent hose on the top of the tank and that could be where the water is coming from.

Brulaz.......Please get that taken care of on your trailer right away.....
Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
oneleaf

We picked up our Elkmont 24 last August (09) and did about 10 days camping in California. We winterized it and covered it and then had to get the sagging chassis straightened and strengthened. That done it was put away again until being readied for a trip in May. We discovered evidence of leaking now dried to a fine yellow powder and blackened woodwork. We had electrical issues with the new additional batteries supplied and installed by TM dealer, plumbing disasters in the sink and at the shower taps and after we had fixed all that it rained and we found the interior leaks which meant another trip to have the sealing done (apparently it was missing from around all the exterior fittings and there was considerable shrinkage on the roof seam. We also found that the front compartment extrusion has been installed upside down. The bathroom mirror is beginning to lose the silvering from its back and edges and the interior caulking as well as the exterior is very poor. Some of the problems have been fixed, but it has cost us a delayed start to our vacations, 800 miles of travel (taking the rig to be fixed and going back for it later) and our trust in the company and product. We still cannot be sure that all the problems have shown themselves. It sure has taken the sheen off the pride of ownership. Now we are thinking of selling it and defecting to another brand of trailer.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
brulaz

Quote:
and there was considerable shrinkage on the roof seam.
Had time today to get up and check our Elkmont roof yet again. And there is some new separation between the factory caulk and the plastic strips. Must be new as I checked it over pretty good a month or two ago when I fixed yet another leak.

You would think that by now I'd replaced all the factory caulk. But no; I'm now seeing separation with the caulk that lies between the aluminum edge pieces and the adjacent plastic strips. This caulk is tough to get out as it still adheres well to the aluminum; it's just on the plastic strip side that it has separated.

After this little chore most of the factory caulk will be gone. I'm still using G.E. Silicon II, as the stuff I put on last March, and then again in May, is holding up ok. And I always carry a caulking gun with me while we're camping.

Bottom line is, be prepared to completely re-caulk your new Elkmont. And do NOT put it in storage with the factory caulk if there's any chance of rain.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Beak12

Brulez,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Elkmont. And it's too bad you live so far away from a Elkmont dealer. How far are you from Mentor RV, I have heard good things about them. Perhaps they can help you.

I have had a few thing wrong with my Elkmont but they were addressed within the first couple of weeks. (it helps that I only live 100 miles from my Dealer Custom RV) As of this week we have put about 5,250 miles on this trailer. And no leaks. And have been in some good rain storms. I had to come up with a way to keep the electric line (electric jacks) from hanging so low that they would scrape going in some camp sites and gas station driveways. Using a light weight bungee cord seems to have done the trick.

Aain sorry to hear about you on going troubles.

John

PS: This is my 8th RV of sorts. MY last one was a Wennabago Itasca Suncruser 37' That I got new. We spent 9 Months living in her doing the south and lower East Coast. I got so I looked for a dealer and then picked a campground close enough to get repairs made. So sometimes you can't when for losing. LOL
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #20
brulaz

You're a lucky man, John.

Actually, I'm not sure whether this new caulk separation would lead to much leakage or not. If the water doesn't puddle and rise over the separated seam there may not be much of a problem. But if you do get leakage, and you're not there to wipe it up immediately, the damage can be very high.

My trailer has a build date of December 2009. Maybe the caulk was applied when it was too cold? Or maybe they forgot to clean the plastic strips on mine? Who knows.

I've resolved all other major problems to our satisfaction; this is the only ongoing nuisance. A few minor things have broken, and I'm firing off a letter to the factory tomorrow asking for replacements. So far they've been good at sending me parts.

Mentor RV is in Ohio I believe. Probably 600km away. Too far for stuff I can do myself.

Not sure if we've done 5250 miles yet, but we're getting there. Texas to Ontario, Ontario to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and return. A couple of shorter trips. We'll be leaving for British Columbia in mid-August.

Despite our problems, we still have no regrets about the purchase. As I've said before, we love the interior layout, low weight construction and easy towing with little sway (for a full-height trailer as the axle is far back on the frame). And then there's this forum which is a great help.