TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default To plug or not to plug ?

Getting the answers to questions would be infinitely more difficult without the knowledgeable and good-hearted folks in this forum. I'm very grateful for your help. I've been deliberating about plugging a hole in a piece of metal trim along the roof edge of our new 2720sl (just beyond the end of the awning). A similar hole exists on the opposite side of the trailer in the same location. I've hestitated because I'm not sure if the holes function as drainage or vapor vents. Did someone with a Makita just get carried away and should I plug the holes with suitable screws and silicone, or do they serve a purpose ? I've attached a photo for your review and a pic of my Aussie buddy, Deacon. Eric
Ps Only 5 more days until our 1st excursion in our new TM.
We're heading to the Prescott National Forest (Lynx Lake) and will be camping at about 5K ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Hole 1.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deacon on Log.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1532  
Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
pbuck1

Eric,
See this link:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=drainage

-Paul
Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
idaho-steve

Eric, For what it is worth, I have no such holes on either side of my '02 2720SL. In fact, my awning is positioned more to the edge so that it would cover such a hole. A call to the factory might be the best bet since the holes may serve some function since they are on both sides. Let us know. Heck, maybe I should be adding some holes :-) Steve
Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like Steve, I don't recall having them on my 2002 2720SL, but I do have them on my '06. Drainage sounds right to me, although I can't for the life of me figure out what is being drained, and why it needs draining. Vince's explanation (in the thread that Paul referenced) sounds reasonable, so I guess I won't mess with it. More to the point, the fact that they appear on so many TMs suggest that they were put there on purpose, and should NOT be plugged.

On the other hand, if you decide to plug them, let us know the outcome. We're all curious!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Goodyear Travels

Thank you all for the advice and especially Paul's referenced thread. I'll leave the holes alone and go after a few seams on the underside of the trailer with the silicone.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 has the same holes, but they are drilled slightly higher, right at the curve between the top and the side.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Simon3xUD

Talking Great choice

Quote:
I've attached a photo for your review and a pic of my Aussie buddy, Deacon.
Hooray! Another TMing Aussie . Panda, Dia, and Ally all offer a wiggly welcome to Deacon . I'm sure Deacon will love his new TM as much as my "kids" love theirs!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
camp2canoe

Default Holes

When we bought our 2619, the technican who did our "walk through" pointed out the holes referred to, insisted that the holes should NEVER be plugged and told me that they were drilled to equalize pressure. I just sort of took this as an article of faith without much thought. Now I'm wondering what pressure they might equalize? - Camp2Canoe
Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

How about calling up the dealer and asking? I'd LOVE to know the explanation for that one. The only pressure differential I can imagine is from the wind pushing on the front of the trailer as you drive, the suction behind the trailer, or the Bernoulli pressure difference from the wind slipping along the side of the trailer. I'm not sure why one would want to "equalize" any of those pressures - and I'm REALLY not sure how they would be equalized by holes in that location.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
CAmark
Site Sponsor

I recall this being addressed here within the last year...and finally found it again...note that the Factory has weighed in here already...http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ht=awning+hole
mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote