TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
PopBeavers

FWIW, we considered the other hard sided TT's. However, I have a son (23) and daughter (25) that go with us some of the time. Especially when son is racing mountain bikes. We need to sleep more than just the two of us.

The TM 2720 with swing away tongue was the largest trailer we could find that would fit in the garage.

I have no desire to convert a table into my bed late at night and then convert it back to a table in the morning. I want a permanent fixed bed, even if I have to use a step to get up into it.

If it weren't for the swing away tongue we would have gotten the 2619. We like the larger bed and extra storage that the 2720 provides.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #22
mntlblok

I'll drag DW over this week to see if there's anything about the 2619 that seems to come up short for her, but I suspect that she'll find it to be plenty roomy and will figure out ways to store stuff without the dresser and hanging cabinet. The minivan will then also have much more room for such things. She was cracking up watching the internet video of the setup, but, at least she was quick to pick up on the fact that it was "wimmen's work".

You've convinced me to scratch the Hi-Lo off my list. The smaller things would have a porta potty, I guess. I have no idea how satisfactory that would be. An empty drink vessel worked fine for me in the Walmart parking lot at a recent tennis tournament sojourn. :-) The lack of blinds or curtains in the minivan was aggravating, what with the street lights.

Checked out the little Fun Finder X TT's on that trip up in Myrtle Beach, which was what really got me looking seriously at this option. I was all set to go with a Roadtrek 170 if I could have found a reasonably priced used one. Could have parked it in the driveway without violating covenants.

I *love* the idea of not having to cart suitcases and all our other gear (photography equipment {including underwater housings and strobes}, laptop, coolers, tennis gear, scuba gear, etc.) into motel rooms. I love the idea of being able to stop just about any time you want without looking for a motel with a vacancy (and a rate that doesn't tick you off).

I don't have a good feel for how quiet the "quiet" generators are, but my impression from these fora is that you hardly hear them from even just ten feet away. Am I way off here??

BTW, may one generally sleep in Interstate Highway rest areas with a quiet generator going? The name Onan comes to mind, but I believe I also remember a name something like "Generic" that was a tad less expensive. Any recommendations? But, if the things can be used without aggravating others, they would be well worth their costs to me.

As long as I'm wandering off subject, I see that they come in gasoline and LP versions (as well as diesel). Is LP the same thing as propane? Any reasons not to go with LP rather than the potentially smelly gasoline versions? I also don't have a feel for how long fuel lasts in either type. How small a version could keep a 2619 cool all night in summer heat?

And, while I would only plan to be "sleeping", as opposed to "camping" at Walmart, my impression, again from forum reading, is that Walmart encourages RV's, and I wonder if they would really care whether you had your lawn chairs and BBQ out.

I believe you can have little window-style air conditioners in at least "some" of the little "A-shaped" contraptions. My sense was that they could be run off of propane if there were no "hook-ups". Even just a little bit of cooling would make a *lot* of difference. Anyway, you guys have convinced me that I can handle a 2619, so you can stop worrying about my poor DW.

Thanks to all for all the fine advice.

Kevin
Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
I don't think there's room in a 2619 for a 3 drawer dresser, but the other options seem OK. Some don't care for the hanging cabinet (cupboard), but we wouldn't be wilthout it. With the Hi-Lo 1706, you don't get a permanent bed, in the 2619 you get 2. The 1706 wieghs just about the same as the 2619. While the TM has a full bath with solid wood walls, the top half of the HI-Lo walls are fabric. Does the Chalet have a bathroom? That's a prime consideration for the ladies. Several considerations for a TT over a motel are: You have your own bed, today, thats comforting to know who slept there last night. RV parks are plentiful and cheaper than motels. You can set up a TT just about as quick as you can unload the vehicle at a motel. I think Wal-Mart would frown on a generator running, but again, some may allow it, just don't set out your lawn chairs and BBQ.
Speaking of sleeping in the minivan when it was so hot, Can you get an a/c in the Chalet????
All of these questions need to be addressed before you spend a lot of money on anything.
Good luck with your search.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #23
mntlblok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok
I don't have a good feel for how quiet the "quiet" generators are, but my impression from these fora is that you hardly hear them from even just ten feet away. Am I way off here?
http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/ge...ise/index.html

Some info I found on generator noise and AC options.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #24
Bill & Lisa

The hanging cabinet is definately an option as the sink area is pretty much the same on all the models. There are some differenceces due to where the inside seam between the walls falls but all models can be fitted with the hanging cabinet. The 3 drawer dresser is a nightstand type standalone. Problem withthe 2619 is where do you store it while traveling....well you probably can stow it between the couches or in front of the refridge....the real problem is where do you put it when you are set up! there does not appear to be a convient place to put it where it will not block something esle.

Bill
Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #25
mntlblok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W.
You might want to look into used TMs. You might just get lucky. I was going to buy new. I was leaning towards a 2720SL, because the wife liked it. I was looking around on the Internet and found a used 3124KS for about $18,000. It had a couple minor problems, but I have them taken care of. When we looked, we saw the 2619, 2720, 2720SL, 2720SD and 3023. Now that we have the 3124KS, my wife is glad we did not buy the smaller one.
I'm definitely exploring the used market, but it doesn't seem all that robust.

I keep reading that, at least the 2619 - and maybe the 2720 - can be pulled by minivans. My research on minivans (which I prefer to drive as my primary vehicle) suggests that most of them have a tow rating of 3500, with a few up at 3800 - with the Dodge Grand Caravan falling in the latter category. I also like the "Stow and Go" fold down seating and the relatively small price tag on the Dodge. What do you guys think about towing various loaded down TM's with this Dodge?

Also, on the subject of towing, I'm looking at the WDH models discussed by RockyMtnRay, and it has me wondering about whether I'm handy enough to hook one of those things up. I assume that they would have to be installed for each trip out of the garage if one needs the space gained by the "swing hitch". Is that right? Is it something that isn't left attached to either the TV or the TT when not traveling? TIA

Kevin
Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #26
mntlblok

Default Ph.D. in WDH

Quote:
Actually, it's simpler to do than to describe here.
[/url]
Whew! That's great news! I was afraid I was going to have to sign up for some kind of graduate level course after reading the description.

And, now that I think about it, there's probably not any real reason to stick with a minivan any longer, what with the kids getting all grown up. Guess it's time to start exploring other TV options. BTW, am I the only one who is concerned that the abbreviation "TV" has other connotations?

Thanks. It actually does help, a lot.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #27
mntlblok

Default Handy video

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...ideo.php#movie
Old 05-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #28
mntlblok

Default Electric brakes, wiring, receiver, ball

Looks like a "receiver" is separate from a WDH, and apparently can be specific to the TV? And then there's the ball. Where does that fit in with buying the connections? Apparently that has to be ordered separately from the WDH. Looks like I'm not nearly ready to try to purchase a TM.

Also, do TM's typically have electric brakes? If so, it looks like I have to come up with a way to "attach" them to my minivan.

And, speaking of wiring, does some special wiring need to be done to my TV before hooking up a trailer?

Am I just too helpless and hopeless to buy a travel trailer??

Kevin
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #29
mntlblok

Quote:
You're doing just fine, keep asking and learning...
ps... I bought my used TM from an RV dealer and they sold me the WD hitch, brake controller, and installed it. Everything works just fine...
Heck, I almost took off this weekend to go buy a TM four hours away, and woulda gotten there with no way to bring it home.

But, it now looks like this trailer hitch and WDH thing and "towing packages" and electric breaks is going to make me have to re-think sticking with my old minivan. Probably time to get a new vehicle.

But, read about the Ford Freestar today and it's low center of gravity, and, especially with the larger engine, that the 3500 tow rating that most all minivans have is probably *way* off the mark. It said that the first minivan listed 3500 and all the rest have just copied it - despite some having significantly larger engines and significantly different transmissions and gear ratios.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #30
mntlblok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok

But, read about the Ford Freestar today
http://www.rvlifemag.com/file343/hitchhints343.html

Kevin