TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #21
SireMike

I began to wonder about TM quality control after seeing a few new ones at the Tampa RV show last winter.

I saw a 3326 with screwed up trim, entrance assist handle ripped out of the back of the dinette, etc.

I would look it over closely before I signed over the Class B.

Actually when I had my TM I was thinking of using a class b as a TV for my TM.

The smaller TMs should tow behind a Class B ok and you have comfort while you are in transit and at the campground.

This seemed to be more efficient than upgrading to a Class A later down the road.

mike
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #22
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireMike View Post
I began to wonder about TM quality control after seeing a few new ones at the Tampa RV show last winter....The smaller TMs should tow behind a Class B ok and you have comfort while you are in transit and at the campground.
mike
Thanks, Mike. Their story is that the SunCoast dealer in Charlotte closed and they received about 7 or 8 TMs rather suddenly as a result. They haven't fully detailed them yet, etc. I don't know - seems to me you detail them before taking them to an RV show or at least when you have a highly active potential customer like us. Hopefully he'll find me a new-from-the-factory one.

Towing the TM with my Sprinter is well within limits (capacity wise) but we're trying to pare down to two motor vehicles only, and have limited storage at the house. That would be a sweet combination though .

Any other experience with the Tampa dealer?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
tm3023bob

Default It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.

I read this awhile back, I don't know if it applies to TM's: "It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money -that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything. Because the thing that you bought was incapable of doing the thing it, was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot (without risk) –it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #24
Rich_in_Tampa

Well, the deal looks like it will proceed. I'll be getting a 2008 3124KS, trading in my Sprinter RV and actually getting a check back from the dealer. He's including a WDH, brake controller and receiver hitch for the TM. We decided to buy the television and microwave on our own. It will be out of the factory in a week or so, ready for pickup in a couple of weeks.

Now I've got to find a tow vehicle. 4Runner is leading the pack for the time being. Looking forward to the new toy immensely.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #25
bfezel

Rich,

I would say that the 4Runner would do an excellent job for you. I pull my 3124KS with a 2002 Tundra and you can hardly tell it is behind you sometimes. I have the V-8 and I expect the running gear is very similar to the 4Runner. I do use a Reese WDH with 1,000 lb bars.

Bill
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezel View Post
I would say that the 4Runner would do an excellent job for you. I pull my 3124KS with a 2002 Tundra and you can hardly tell it is behind you sometimes. I have the V-8 and I expect the running gear is very similar to the 4Runner. I do use a Reese WDH with 1,000 lb bars.
Thanks, Bill - that's reassuring. Do you (and anyone else) agree that the V8 would be worth the moderate extra cost?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #27
SireMike

I have a 2004 V8 4runner that we used to tow our 2004 3124 KS.

A V8 is a must if you have intentions to go places where there are hills. A packed 3124 is going to be in the 4000# plus range.

My gas mileage was around 13/14 when I was towing. I usually drove in 4th between 60/65 mph.

In my opinion more power is alot better than not enough.

Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireMike View Post
I have a 2004 V8 4runner that we used to tow our 2004 3124 KS.

A V8 is a must if you have intentions to go places where there are hills. A packed 3124 is going to be in the 4000# plus range.
Thanks, Mike. That scenario pretty much matches mine. Not sure how the 2007 4R engines comopare to the 2004 model, but I'll go with the V8 as you mention. I gather you like the vehicle (the 4Runner) in general (when not towing)?