TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Squeezing out more horsepower

My wife and I are getting ready to go camping for the first time in our new 2720SL. We picked up our TM in Tucson and while our V6 Tacoma pulled the trailer very well across the desert to our home in Goodyear -- I had some concern about how it will pull at altitude. So I installed a K & N Air Intake System (about $250) and a Redline Power Chip that attaches to the mass air flow sensor. I found the chip on Ebay for $29.95 and saw that virtually all the reviews were very positive. I installed both in about 2 hours. I believe I'm still in compliance with emission standards in all 50 states and I have a sticker afixed under the hood that is supposed to satisfy inspection station personnel. The bottom line is that I've noticed a significant increase in power and acceleration (I would guess about 15HP). I think my Tacoma will do just fine now in Arizona but Colorado may still be a challenge (I may do a "cat-back" muffler switch). If your TV is a bit under-powered maybe one or both of these modifications can help. Oh, my "check engine" lite has not come on has a result of the modifications. And -- I also installed an Equal-i-zer hitch to my swing tongue. This also required a few modifications not covered in the installation instructions. I'll share them as a thread if anyone is interested. TM folks have expanable RV's and expanable minds and hearts. Maybe the leaders of the world could find more concensus if we could put them all in TM's and place them beside a mountain lake ? I know -- "dream on".