TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
D2Eben

Default Dry Camping with the Thetford toilet

I just purchased a 2021 2720QD with a Thetford toilet and want to know what kind of mobile dump tank i can get for dry camping.
D2Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
Onyrlef

Just key in rv portable dump tank or anything thereabouts and any of the online sellers will offer you a number of different brands and capacities ( Amazon, etrailer, even Wal Mart). I do fine with a 25 gal.as long as I don't let the gray water tank max out before dumping, but I'm not a boondocker. Just remember those things get heavy, ( a full 25 gal. weighs over 150lbs). Some have front as well as rear wheels and pull like a wagon. You may however consider a larger capacity for dry camping. One of the boondockers on here can probably give better advice on capacity.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:27 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I've been looking at totes as well. One thing to consider is the weight of the tote itself:

16 gallons - 11.5" x 17" x 37" - 24 pounds
25 gallons - 11.5" x 24" x 37" - 36 pounds
32 gallons - 11.5" x 24" x 45" - 35 pounds
42 gallons - 14.0" x 24" x 45" - 38 pounds

Apparently these weights are without the pneumatic tire upgrade which adds another 10-12 lbs. That would put the 42 gallon tote at 50 lbs! Personally, I don't want to lift or heft around a 50 lb empty tank.

Now consider the following: The grey water tank only holds 30 gallons, plus another 10 gallons or so from the Thetford. If you used the 16 gallon tote, you could empty the toilet and rinse with some grey water. You would then need about 3 trips to completely empty the tanks.

If you got the 25 gallon, you could probably empty everything in 2 trips.

Now, if you have a slide model TM, the freshwater tank only holds 20 gallons, plus about 10 for the toilet. That means once you use up your fresh water, you only have to empty 30 gallons.

The Barker totes without the pneumatic wheels will be lighter, and I imagine would work just fine towing from your tow vehicle. But you would still have to lug your tote to your tow vehicle.

I'm still trying to figure out what is best. That 42 gallon tank is HUGE! I don't know where I'd store that thing in the winter.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
Onyrlef

And I should have said the full 25 gal tote is upwards of 200 lbs. What's equally important I'd imagine is how the boondockers manage to get one of those things on the TV for the trip back to civilization.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When you use the term "dry camping", do you mean "there is at least a pit toilet within a couple hundred yards where I could dump the load"?

Or do you mean true boondocking, as in "I'm out in the wilderness with absolutely no facilities"? In that case, you have to get the full tank to a dump station somewhere, perhaps miles away - or take it home. And then muscle it to the dump point, which may be raised above ground level.

If you mean the former, then a smaller tank will be a lot easier to deal with, and I would highly recommend it, even though you have to make more trips. For a few years, I used a 6-gallon Barker tote. Even when full, I could tow it by hand, on the ground, and man-handle it up to the needed height at the dump location. I stored the empty tank on the spare tire rack, next to the spare tire. Some folks bungeed it to the trailer A-frame, and some to the rear bumper. Easy.

If you mean the latter, then you will probably need a ramp and a rope-and-pulley to get it into your truck. Unless you have help, you are not going to be able to dead-lift any more than about 10 gallons (100 pounds or so) from the ground into the truck. And don't forget that once you have moved the full tank to the dump location, you may not find a ground-level receptacle. You may have to lift the tank 18 inches to get it high enough to dump, and then hold it there while it empties. Very hard!

Especially if you decide to go big, you might consider getting a 12-volt macerator pump and a motorcycle battery or 12-volt extension cord. This would allow you to load and unload the tank while it is in the truck bed, without much effort or help. Assuming you have a truck. I'm not sure I would want to load a wet tank of sewage into a mini-van or closed-cabin SUV. And I know my wife would not be enthusiastic.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
D2Eben

Default Thanks for your responses

You all have provided just the input I was looking for. I will look online and at local RV supply places for portable tank options.

I will let you know what I find and buy and how it works for us.

Dennis
D2Eben is offline   Reply With Quote