TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
ib4classics

Default Tow hitch ball size

As a new member about to purchase our first TM I was wondering what size the connector ball needs to be?
I currently have an Eaze Lift WDH with a 2 5/8 ball for our current trailer.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Mine is a 2".

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Scott O

2" seems to be standard. You should be able to swap yours if you need to. Easy job...all you need is a great big wrench!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
camp2canoe

A big wrench AND a little Loctite. Having dropped a U Haul trailer in Indiana many years ago, I either use Loctite or bugger up the threads on the hitch ball as a little extra security. The ball I lost, for what it may be worth, was the type where the interior of the ball was threaded to accept the bolt. I now use the more common one piece ball/threaded shaft combination that fastens with a nut. - camp2canoe
Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
ib4classics

I agree on the big wrench. With my older Eaze Lift I think it will have to be a huge socket, no room on the sides for a wrench.
I am lucky though, in the past, for saftey reasons I have had a couple of spot welds placed on the nut/hitch connection to avoid loss/theft, didnn't do it this time though.
Thanks to all for the quick response.
We will communicate more next week when we select one of two units we are looking at.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
larsdennert

I thought the threads on the ball were one-use binding like the ubolts for leaf springs.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
ib4classics

I just purchased a 2" ball for the one time trip home after picking up the 06 TM.
The 6000lb rated ball has a 1" shaft, very thick lock washer and a large nut. I used my impact wrench to put it toghether.
Tomorrow I hope to set up my eazlift wdh that I had to leave with the 2 5/8 ball attached because I still have to move my old trailer to prepare it for sale.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
PopBeavers

One of my two tow balls is built so that I insert a cotter pin to prevent the nut from backing off.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
djkeltn

Default watch the "bolt shaft" size

Be a bit careful.
I downsized from a larger trailer to my new TM, and I originally had a 2 5/8 installed. When the dealer installed the 2 in for the new TM, he put in a spacer because the shaft size was too small on the 2 in for my WDH.

After several uses I noticed the whole 2 in ball "wobbled" and was a bit loose. I tightened it again and after 200 miles it wobbled again. I was afraid I would lose the whole TM so I took it to the TM dealer and they tightened it and said "problem solved".

It was not solved, and it loosened up again...

So off to another dealer (not the TM dealer). He knew immediately what the problem was, the spacer was a bit too tall and it would not allow us to tighten the bolt down all the way. So he replaced it with a new 2 in with a large shaft and tightened… No problem now! Beware of the dealer that uses what he has on hand and not the right part!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
larsdennert

2" balls come in 3/4 and 1" shafts too. The capacities are 3500 for the small one and 5000 or 6000 for the larger.