TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
klv5920

Red face Towing speed

I am curious, just how fast do any of you drive while towing? I know the TMs are easy towing but is it wise to drive the speed limit or with the flow of traffic? Sometimes traffic on the interstates is way higher than it should be. And I know it depends on the road, weather condtions, traffic etc. I asked the seller we bought our 3023 TM from and he said 70 to 75 mph! My son-in-law, who helped us pick up the TM and who also pulls a larger camper in a Suburban was driving the speed limit and faster on the interstate. Holy Cow! Is that reasonable?
I understand that the larger the TV the more control but even so, is there an average speed or is it a matter of feel, traffic, etc?? And also common sense and what makes you feel comfortable?? I don't expect to be driving slow enough to get run over but the thought of zooming down the highway at top speed with over 3000# behind me is a little scarey!
So, just would like input from many, a traveling speed you feel comfortable and safe with during towing.
Thanks
KLV
Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you have Goodyear Marathon tires, they are only rated up to 60 MPH. So going faster than that with those tires puts you at risk for premature tire failure.

There are other trailer tires out there that have much higher speed ratings. I had Kumhos before that were rated for over 100 MPH, so you can get around the tire rating.

However, as you mentioned, speed increases your stopping distance and decreases your safety margin. Regardless of the speed limit, including those areas in Texas that are 80 MPH (and soon to be 85), I don't tow above 60 MPH with the trailer. Not only is it safer, but it saves ALOT of gas. Going much faster than that, you might as well dump fuel out the window. On our first long trip with the TM years ago (before my current wisdom), we did long stretches at 70 MPH, and fuel economy tanked 30-40%.

That translates into alot more of a hit than you might think. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means you are paying for 67% more fuel. Our TV gets about 12 MPG (worst case) towing the TM. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means we only get 7.2 MPG. Traveling 500 miles, that means I would buy 42 gallons vs. 70 gallons, and at $4/gallon, that's a savings of ~$110 ($280 vs. $168). If it takes you 9 hrs to drive that 500 miles....well, you're SAVING over $12/hour!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
If you have Goodyear Marathon tires, they are only rated up to 60 MPH. So going faster than that with those tires puts you at risk for premature tire failure.

There are other trailer tires out there that have much higher speed ratings. I had Kumhos before that were rated for over 100 MPH, so you can get around the tire rating.

However, as you mentioned, speed increases your stopping distance and decreases your safety margin. Regardless of the speed limit, including those areas in Texas that are 80 MPH (and soon to be 85), I don't tow above 60 MPH with the trailer. Not only is it safer, but it saves ALOT of gas. Going much faster than that, you might as well dump fuel out the window. On our first long trip with the TM years ago (before my current wisdom), we did long stretches at 70 MPH, and fuel economy tanked 30-40%.

That translates into alot more of a hit than you might think. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means you are paying for 67% more fuel. Our TV gets about 12 MPG (worst case) towing the TM. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means we only get 7.2 MPG. Traveling 500 miles, that means I would buy 42 gallons vs. 70 gallons, and at $4/gallon, that's a savings of ~$110 ($280 vs. $168). If it takes you 9 hrs to drive that 500 miles....well, you're SAVING over $12/hour!

Dave
This is from Goodyear for the Marathons.

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

I think the Marathons (225/75/15) are D rated up to 65psi, so at max pressure you should be able to travel at 75mph (depending on the wheel's rating), or at least 65mph at lower pressure.

Koz
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default towing speed

Besides the tire limitation on speed there are also state speed limits on towing trailers, many times these aren't posted. There are several threads that discuss this.
here is a link that is one example:
http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Here is a second link with more info
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

For us we tow between 55 and 62 mph and try to avoid the interstates

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
This is from Goodyear for the Marathons.

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

I think the Marathons (225/75/15) are D rated up to 65psi, so at max pressure you should be able to travel at 75mph (depending on the wheel's rating), or at least 65mph at lower pressure.

Koz
Yes, but Goodyear also says:
"Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer. The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer."

My Elkmont says 65psi which is what I keep my tires at. And so my speed should be <= 65 mph according to Goodyear at that psi.

But I pretty much drive at what speed I find comfortable, economical, legal and safe, which at my age is around 60mph when hauling the Elkmont.

My reaction times are nowhere near what they used to be.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Bigbit

In California, the posted max speed for vehicles towing trailers is 55 MPH, and that's what I do. That being said, I can assure you that many vehicles hauling boats, TTs' and 5th wheels zoom by me doing 65, 70 or faster. Crazy...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
In California, the posted max speed for vehicles towing trailers is 55 MPH, and that's what I do. That being said, I can assure you that many vehicles hauling boats, TTs' and 5th wheels zoom by me doing 65, 70 or faster. Crazy...
Exactly. I have personally need a travel trailer and its TV flip before my eyes during a sudden stop and swerve maneuver, and he wasn't even going very fast -- maybe 50 MPH. We stopped to help, and they weren't seriously injured, but at 70 MPH, I'm confident it would have been a different outcome.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Pitbull

Just for information, "E" rated tires can be used with the alloy wheels.

Koz
Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Dave
Are these ST tires or LT tires?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
Signs of California freeways used to say something like

Trucks, autos with trailers speed limit 55.

So people with motorhomes, especially out of state, concluded that a motorhome is not an auto, therefor the sign does not apply to them.

California is in the process of changing the signs to state that anything towing anything speed limit is 55.

I have been know to hit 60+ mph when I was not paying close attention.

Usually I just set cruise control to 58. Then I don't have to keep an eye on the speedometer.