TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #1

Default Where To Put Everyone's Personal Belongings?

Hi everyone,

We just returned from our longest trip in our 3023 -- 6 days to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.  I believe it was our 3rd trip, and all went well except the toilet smell (I've looked up the recipes some of you have used and will try them) and the difficulty in managing all the STUFF we brought!

First of all, there were 6 of us (myself, hubby, our 3 kids and a cousin).  My husband and I hung our clothes in the wardrobe and used the drawers, but I felt like I was constantly moving the kids' stuff around (suitcases and backpacks w/their books, dolls, can't live without stuff).  At night, when we needed the beds, everything ended up on the chairs and stovetop, and it was difficult to maneuver.  Especially since we were using the pull-out couch as a bed as well as the 2 end beds.  In addition, I felt like there was no place to put the dry food and towels.

So, I'd love your suggestions.  I've done a search of the site and have seen the hanging towel rack (am planning to get one of those).  I am also planning on adding some slide out basket/drawers so I can get to the lower cupboards, and will order the over-sink cabinet.  

I'm wondering if anyone has built a removable shelf to go over the entire width of the end of each bed (the side where there is no window).  I'm thinking that I could build a shelf about 18" deep that would sit approx. midway between the ceiling and the bed, and the ends of the shelf would be supported by a vertical board one each side (fastened at a 90 degree angle w/L-brackets) that would sit between the edge of the mattress and the bed frame.  Thus, you could load duffle bags and backpacks on them, and leave them up while you slept (your feet could be under them).  When you need to fold up the trailer, you could simply lift them off and put them upside down on the floor and load your gear on top of them.  Or, perhaps a wire-rack type thing???  A woman I met on the trip said when her kids were young they each got a big plastic box that they had to keep all their stuff in - this could work to w/this set up.

Does this make sense? It seems to me the only good option when traveling with this many people -- we will be going for a month-long trip this summer and I can't bear the thought of not having a better system of organizing each person's belongings.  

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

~Teresa