TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
othermum

Default Keeping A Pet Cool

Someone may use our TM 2720 for a few weeks at a RV campground near their work. I'm worried about leaving their dog alone and the ac going out. A recent hurricane didn't damage anything on the camper and our TX temps aren't too bad now, but I just don't want to endanger the dog while the person using the camper is at work. The dog isn't destructive, so I'm not worried about the camper. Anyone have any experience camping with dogs?

mum
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Experience with my dog says that the most important thing by far is to park the TM in the shade! Even on a cool day, solar loading can heat up the interior far more than you would expect.

Next step - leave the ceiling vent open. You don't have to turn on the fan and blow all your cool air outside, but leaving it open will allow hot air build up to escape. And crack a couple windows on the north or east side of the camper, since these will be on the less sunny side during the afternoon hours.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
camp2canoe

All of my travel has been in the midwest so this might not be true in other parts of the country, but we almost never use the AC. When we're out canoeing we leave all the windows and both roof vents partially open and the ceiling fan on low speed. Our lab, Kali, is always on the forward bed when we're gone and the TM has never been too warm for her - shade or no. (We sometimes pull the curtains on the west side of the TM if the day is very warm.) - camp@canoe
Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
BrigCA61

There was a good article on this very subject in Woodall's eNewsletter this month. It mentioned several temperature alert devices available... but, they are costly. We have been concerned about the same thing and usually don't leave the dogs in the trailer if there is a possiblity of ac/heating failing and their lives become endangered.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
nonichris

We have purchased some 12V fans, and there is one that is quite powerful...it is available on Amazon and is square viewed from the front about 18 inches wide and 4 deep. We don't leave our dogs alone in the RV for any extended period during the daytime, just because of the possible problems with heat, but if we did we would use that fan and the other suggestions mentioned here. Parking in the shade would be very important and then checking on the dog frequently would be next...no possibility of taking the dog with the person and keeping it under the desk at work? That would be safest for the dog....
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I have observed my TM being 20 degrees warmer than the outside air. As long as the outside temperature is less than 80 degrees then the inside temperature should be less than 100 degrees.

A linoleum floor allows the dog to dissipate heat through the thin fur on their belly. A carpeted floor likely will not allow that to be helpful.

It takes awhile for the TM to get that hot. So being gone for a couple of hours is rather safe, because you can chill down the TM with the a/c before leaving. Being gone all day is risky in the event the a/c shuts down for any reason.