TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Glow Step Revolution steps

I received an offer of Torklift GlowStep Revolution steps in exchange for a review. I had to have mine installed by an RV service dealer, though, as the TM original step box is welded to the frame. Since I don't have a torch or welding equipment, I needed professional help.

That said, they did a great job, and I am very pleased with the GlowStep(s)! I deployed them at the service shop, and there was a ground angle away from my trailer. The steps extended down to the ground without a large step from the trailer or onto the ground. Due to the height of my trailer, I have a 3-step configuration. I think this will work great off-road, which is where we do most of our camping. Having to raise the curb-side tire to get the trailer level in many sites, the additional step of adjustment will be crucial.

When I got home, my gravel parking pad has a bit of an indent for the tire, so the door sits closer to the ground. I opened the steps, and the top step was almost flush with the trailer floor, which is not a problem. The other two steps deployed, and the stabilizer feet hit the ground just fine. Another perfect deployment.

The step deployment system has three settings, or stops. The highest and second stops are good, but the third stop puts the steps so far below the trailer floor that we will never use it. It is about a 12" drop from the floor to the step when on the lowest stop. Still, we have two levels of adjustment, and the steps extend to various extents, so we should be able to make every ground-pitch work.

The stabilizer legs on the bottom step adjust, also, so if you have a slope front-to-rear or rear-to-front, you can extend one stabilizer leg further than the other, and have the steps secured on the ground.

I had step carpet wraps on my old steps, so I put them onto the new steps. Due to the size of the carpet, it covered the "Glow" part of the steps. To keep the integrity of the Glow design, I folded-over the sides of the carpet to expose the Glow stickers. The stickers can now be seen. I'll know in 3 weeks if they are visible after dark, as I have a 2-night trip planned. Should keep the DW happy to be able to see some guidance at night.

The adjustability of the step deployment is a big factor. I will say that, because of the varied terrain of boondocking, these steps are even more useful. I carried an adjustable-height step pad, which we used every trip. Sometimes it was at its lowest height, sometimes its highest. I no longer need it! I can't foresee any need for more adjustment than what the Glow Step offers. Until I get out into more varied terrain, I won't know what the full range of use is, but it will be interesting to find out.

A bit pricey? Yes, but so was my second battery. And my solar array. And my tongue jack. And my other modifications. I believe this will make our camping even more enjoyable, as it will be easier to get in and out of the trailer, with much more stability. No more rocking the trailer every time I come in and out.

One installation factor that is likely only specific to TrailManors - the handle on the front side of the steps is right where the stirrup is for latching the rear shell. I had to bend the handle back. Now, it is not a problem.

I would give the Glow Step Revolution two thumbs up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoodDeploy.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	12620   Click image for larger version

Name:	HandleAgainstStirrup.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	12621   Click image for larger version

Name:	HandleBentStirrup.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	692.1 KB
ID:	12622  
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default GlowStep update

I used the GlowStep Revolution for two days and two nights last weekend. I found a shortcoming that may be of concern to other people, including my wife.

My original 2417KD steps were 24" wide, and were not problem to step onto when exiting the TM. However, the GlowSteps are 21½" wide, which, while it doesn't seem like 1¼" would make a noticeable difference, we (hunting buddy) both noticed it when exiting the TM.

Just want to be sure to let all know, before anyone bought a set, and then discovered the same difference.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote