TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
trailbiker

Default Refrigerator won't stay lit

When i try to light my refrigerator the flame indicator starts to move toward green, but it won't stay lit. The flame indicator never goes fully into the green and if i let go off the button it goes back to white. Last time we used it it lit but wasn't cooling as well as it has in the past. Works fine on electric. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking for the problem?
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Dave,

I had a similar issue four years ago and replaced the interrupter and the thermocouple. Neither replacement solved the problem. But replacing the burner was the fix. My burner was so rusted a few of the vents were closed off. Rather than trying to clean it up I chose to replace the burner. The burner part number is Norcold 621953 Burner/Orifice Kit.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
trailbiker

I checked the burner tonight. I had Holly light the burner and hold down the button you hold until the flame indicator goes to green. The burner lit and and the flame looked good. It continued to burn, but the flame indicator never got fully into the green. As soon as she let go of the button the flame went out. I'm not sure how to check that sensor
Old 08-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

First, take a look at the burner, checking for rust as Commodor47 described. When lit, the flame should be a nice quiet blue. If the flame roars, or if it is yellow, there is too much or too little air. Either can be caused by soot or rust.

Re the senor, the important thing is that it must be fully immersed in the flame. If the sensor is off to the side, it won't get hot enough to keep the gas valve open, and the flame will go out. The manual for the refrig (in your blue binder) has pictures.

One other thing to think about. Several years ago, there was a recall on the Norcold refrigerator for a problem such as you describe. The recall involved replacing a single wire - it had a push-on spade connector that wasn't tight enough. Although Norcold would send you a replacement wire, you had to wait for it to arrive, and then install it yourself. For most of us, it was easier not to wait for the new wire, but just to squeeze the connector a little tighter, as follows.

Disconnect AC power from the trailer, and disconnect the battery. Pull the refrig out from the counter a couple inches. Take a look at the back of the GAS/ELEC/BATTERY switch. You will see a number of wires with push-on connectors. One by one, pull each wire off, squeeze the connector just a bit with pliers (be gentle!), and then put it back where it came from. If the problem is due to a loose connector, this will cure it.

You can do a Forum search on the term "Norcold recall" to uncover several previous discussions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
trailbiker

Thanks Bill, You are absolutely on target ! I went back out and saw that the sensor had worked its way out. After i re-inserted it the flame meter went all the green in record speed. I think it had been working it way out for a while.