TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Camping in Bear Country

In the California Sierra mountains they make a big deal in the National Parks about protecting your food from the black bears.  The bears aren't very hazardous to humans but they will break into a vehicle if they can.  I've had them rip thru my screen tent when I forgot to throw out the trash that night.  And I've seen them where they will tear open an unattended camper because of the flimsy doors. The parks insist on food and even toothpaste be kept in bear-proof lockers at the campsites. Now that means you have to put refrigerated things in a cooler with ice instead of your convenient refrigerator if you leave to go on a hike.  Does anyone have a better solution or do you just ignore the warnings.  One person suggested using mothballs to disguise the smells.  :-/
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #2
Wrench

Default Re: Camping in Bear Country

I wouldn't try to fool the bears. They have a much stronger sense of smell than you or I do. We're planning a trip to Yosemite in April and have already found out the size of the food storage lockers provided at the campsite (45"x33"x18&quot . It will hold a large ice chest and two of the tall Rubbermaid tubs. As much of a hassle as it is, we'll keep the food in the lockers.

A thermoelectric cooler will be in the minivan during the day, as will my new 105AH WestMarine AGM battery (gloat). The plan is to recharge the battery as we drive around during the day, and connect it to the trailer at night to supplement the coach battery. We'll keep the fridge on gas all the time for routine use, but we'll clean it out at night in favor of the protection of the storage locker.

Many a camper has been harrassed by bears. I wouldn't risk it.
Eric
Old 03-27-2003, 11:24 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There was a thread on this topic last November.  Do a search on the phrase "bear box" and it should come up.  It quickly metamorphosed into a good thread on thermoelectric coolers, and I heartily agree with Eric's recommendation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Chris_Bauer

Out of high school I accepted a job in Sequoia Natl Park working for GSA.  I learned quickly about bears and the dangers we humans can cause to ourselves.  

If you have ever seen the pictures or heard the stories of cars, coolers, motorhomes, being ripped into, I saw them (gee, am I getting that old to say that now ;D).  Bears are much bigger up close then far away and they are quick learners.  They can recognize potato chip bags, plastic supermarket bags, etc. and know exactly what to look for.

Many times, traps were set and we sent the bears many miles up into the mountains only to have them reappear within weeks.  

Use the metal boxes provided by the parks.  It's a good thing!!!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Looking for "bear box"

Thanks for all of your responses.

Searching for "bear box" only produced this thread.  What else might it be under?

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:26 AM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

When you do your search put in a larger value than 7  in the field:

Max Age since last post:

140 worked for me. The post was last November
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote