TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #21
Buck Mills

Default It's a tough decision

I was almost certain of the 3124SD and I may still go that route. Going to look at them this weekend. I currently have a Chalet XL1910 which is almost 20 ft to tow. Was thinking the 3124 is only 4 feet more. But then I think about those places I go where the 20 ft was questionable.

Buck
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
larsdennert

I looked long and hard at the Chalet 19xx models because I really like them too but my conclusion in the end was that I would be towing the same size closed box of about 20' long and 5' tall with the Chalet or the TM.

I think the Chalet is less work to set up as there are only two electric walls and two fold up vs two shells, slide the beds, the door, and velcro flaps. It's not much extra work compared to all the other packing involved in a trip and all the other stuff you do while trailing like hookups and leveling. I liked the tremendous space under the Queen bed on the Chalet as well as being able to crawl in to grab something out of the fridge without full set up. It's lighter too but that turned out not to be a concern or trouble for our truck.

What's better on the TM? Wow the space! Two dedicated beds and another dinnette conversion. More spacious bath with a holding tank for the toilet vs a cassette. Lot's of windows standard though you can add some cool ones to the Chalet too. A dinnette that's not cramped in a corner where two diners need to be kids. We have two kids and the Chalet would have been good if it was just the two of us.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #23
Buck Mills

Default In my case it's just me though

But does a single guy with maybe a pet need the 3124??
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #24
ng2951

One of the problems with the TM is storage. In all fairness, all of these folding TT have the same problem, and the TM at least compensates by have more room than most other folding TTs.

What a 3124 really has over the smaller TMs is room. The 3124 and and the 3326 have a lot storage under the bed and some of the cabinets around the trailer. The extra living room space of the KS is really nice too.

Another nice feature is the king size bed. Though you may sleep alone, the king bed allows either to leave the bed without waking the other.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #25
larsdennert

Does anyone need a 50' class A? Replace "need" with "want" and decide what will make you happy.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
P and B

We have the 3124KS and tow with a Mercedes ML320. We don't have any problems with it heating up etc. but you won't break any land speed records going up mountains. On really steep inclines I can do 40 mph but no faster. Don't really care though. Just put my blinkers on and sit in the slow lanes with all of my trucker friends. Most of the time I'm doing the speed limit or keeping up with traffic. Don't like to drive 70 in tow so I try to stay around 60 to 65, which I have no problem doing. Weight Distributing hitch is a must and not being a "tow guy", I have to say that the work very well. So much so, in fact, that I often forget I'm towing something.

My wife and I like the extra room and the king sized bed is nice as someone already pointed out. I doubt the extra 320lbs difference in weight of the TM itself makes too much difference with just two people in the TV. Length, well, that's something to consider.

Phil
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #27
Bill & Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Mills View Post
But does a single guy with maybe a pet need the 3124??
Agree with another response on "need" vs. "want". A lot would depend on how much time you plan on spending in the unit. If you are going on an extended vacation 3-4 weeks, the 3124 gives you alot more storage space for your 'esentials". Also, you may be alone now, but that could change and a 3124 would still meet your combined needs - better and the 2720 anyway.....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #28
Queeniereads

Some of the decision may depend on how much time you plan to spend in the TM. WE like the longer one becuase we hope to be gone for weeks or months at a time eventually. As to towing, we towed our 3124KS with a tow-equipped Mercury Mountaineer and felt that we were too short wheel-based. We had had a very serious accident towing a longer TT several years ago. So, we bit the bullet and just bought a GMC 2500 and our TM will now come out of mothballs. Watch the wheel-base length -- at least as dangerous as towing weight. Queen