TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Oldkayaker

Default Factory/Dealer failure to communicate

I am interested in purchasing a TrailManor 2417KS Sport Trailer and need a few questions answered. Neither the nearest dealer, 332 miles from my home, nor the factory have responded to my requests for information. I chose the 2417 because my homeowners’ association rules require my camper to fit in my garage. I chose the Sport because my wife requires I leave room for her car. I don’t know how I find myself associated with such selfish people but such is life. I emailed the questions to a couple of other dealers late last night and am hopeful they will respond. If not I will reluctantly remove TrailManor from my shopping list. If they won’t communicate with a prospective buyer you have to wonder how they would treat an owner with a warranty issue! Any assistance the members of this forum can provide will be deeply appreciated. Earl
http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/?page_id=76 has this information:
Outside Height (closed) 79.5”
Outside Height: Measurement includes optional low profile roof air and HDTV antenna (both approximately the same height). Subtract 6″ if trailer is not equipped with these options.
http://www.trailmanordealers.com/2417-sport-series/ has this information:
Outside Height (closed) 67.5”
Outside Height – Closed: Add 6″ for roof vent or 14 1/4″ for low profile roof air.
Overall height closed with low profile AC according to customer portal = 79.5”
Overall height closed with low profile AC according to dealer portal = 67.5 + 14.25 = 81.75”
Overall height closed with low profile AC according to Todd at the factory = 79.5 + 12.5 = 92”
What is the correct overall height closed with low profile AC?
What are the specs for the rear bike receiver?
What are the specs for the AM/FM Radio w/CD Player i.e. make/model/number and location of speakers/remote included?
Where can I find a price list?
Edit: I just received an email from one of the dealers stating they are new to TrailManor and have three due for delivery this month after which they will be able to answer my questions.
Edit rev.2: Just got a call from Todd at TrailManor informing me he measured the trailer and that the customer portal figure of 79.5" overall height closed with low profile AC is correct. Now all I have left to do is decide which options I can't live without and place an order with the only dealer who responded to my message even though it is over 500 miles from home.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Your number sound about right. "Overall height closed with low profile AC according to customer portal = 79.5” . I have a 2720 with a lift kit and the full size AC with 14" tires and I'm around 91. I know the low profile AC is much shorter so I don't think the 92" number is correct. I think that number is with the full-size AC????? Per the web site it's 79.5 with the low profile AC http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/?page_id=76

The TM factory can at time be hard to reach, but most of the time they are very responsive, very informative and nice people. They do run a very lean shop, so i'm thinking its vacation time. The times I called, I had very good success. I call and left a message with Ed Lytle. He called back within one business day.

An option you might want to consider is a 2619 with a swing hitch and low profile air. I think the configuration is nicer. I think the length is about the same as the 2417 when you swing the hitch. It 19 feet when towing, but right around 17 feet when the tongue is back.

Height concerns: The normal garage door header is designed around 92-96 inches high. My header is 93.5', You should measure the header opening, many times the door is not adjusted correctly and can be rise higher and should by design be higher. As a test, if you push it up, will it rise higher then the header? If that is your case, some people will just use a 2x4 to hold the door up when putting the camper in the garage, Several years ago before I bought the TM, I adjusted the torsion springs on my door so I have a full opening when I replaced the cables. DYI adjusted is not recommend if you have not done it before. A door repair shop will do it for around $100.

Rear hitch. I'm sure other will chime in. I don't have one, but from what I have seen it looks like they do not extend past the rear bumper when the bike carrier is removed.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I hope you have a double garage door since a TM is tight on width to get into a single 8 foot (usually a 91" wide with framing) opening.
Can gain about 5" if you remove the awning and side markers.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Oldkayaker

I have to have the Sport model, 6" narrower than the non-sport, so my wife doesn't have to exit her car through the sunroof. I could be wrong but I think the Sport width is only available in the 2417 models.

My garage header is only 82 3/4" high. I need to know the actual height of the 2417KS Sport because I can't get the AC if Todd's figure is correct.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Undersatnd, you need a happy camping partner.

I would check with ED. When I was at the factory, I meet a Todd, If it's the same Todd, he was the plant manager. Very nice guy. He knows all about how they are built. But I would not think of him as the person to go to for the numbers. The web site has it as 79.5, but confirm it with Ed.

PS: it looks like all the 2417 both sport and none sport modes have the same widths at 7'5"
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Oldkayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Undersatnd, you need a happy camping partner.

I would check with ED. When I was at the factory, I meet a Todd, If it's the same Todd, he was the plant manager. Very nice guy. He knows all about how they are built. But I would not think of him as the person to go to for the numbers. The web site has it as 79.5, but confirm it with Ed.

PS: it looks like all the 2417 both sport and none sport modes have the same widths at 7'5"
Please read my probably too wordy post again. The website for customers, the website for dealers and Todd all have different net overall height figures for the trailer with low profile AC installed. Hopefully someone somewhere has the trailer and a tape measure and can post the actual figure. According to the customer website all TrailManors are 7'11" wide except the 2417 Sport Series which are 7'5". http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/?page_id=76
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Does this help at all?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Oldkayaker

Thanks Bill, good info but the height question has been answered. I'm new to this forum and don't yet know member's preference. I edited my original post but some might prefer I add to the existing replies. My edit was: Edit rev.2: Just got a call from Todd at TrailManor informing me he measured the trailer and that the customer portal figure of 79.5" overall height closed with low profile AC is correct. Now all I have left to do is decide which options I can't live without and place an order with the only dealer who responded to my message even though it is over 500 miles from home. Earl
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Oldkayaker,

First welcome to the forum. Since you know the 2417 Sport is the size for you, and I will assume most places you will be camping at will have power connections to run some of the required options you might want, beside the a/c.
A swing tongue will allow you to fit into the garage easier, Cuts off a couple of feet, which may allow you to walk between the front of the camper and garage door whilst it is closed.
Microwave, is that something the little woman must have, or not?
Extra cabinets? I use all my storage and then some inside, but I don't have any extra hanging cabinets, so if its two people and all the stuff you will use can fit in those spaces, you may not need/require those. You and the dw wil decide.
Electric tongue jack, I bought mine after buying the TM to save some costs, but if you're not mechanicaly inclined..you can decide.
Battery power. Again if you'll always camp at places with power for the a/c, a solar panel may not be needed, but I dry camp. So having a solar panel is a must to recharge my battery, verses using a generator or the tv.
Radio, installed mine after purchase. I have no clue as to what version or maker the factory installs. I bought a good brand and followed the instructions. The TM is prewired for the a radio, so that part is already done.
Stove cover, personally I never saw a need for it, but it's your call.

Forgive my rattling on. Again welcome to the forum and best of luck on your desision.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Oldkayaker

Thanks for the welcome. Since starting this thread I have discovered another oddity. The listings on various dealer's sites have differences in what is standard and what is optional. For example the bath with shower, outside shower and fantastic vent are options on the company website but standard on at least one dealer site. I intend to configure a camper just the way I want it and request an itemized quote as that seems to be the only way to determine the cost of optional equipment. As of now I want the items mentioned above plus AC, swing hitch, alloy wheels and rear bike receiver. I remain undecided about getting the awning and solar panels now or installing them myself later. My wife still works and has no interest in the outdoors other than telling me when to mow the lawn. Hard to believe but she has not once looked inside my ALiner which I bought new in '07. I'm not really a camper, I just need a base camp when kayaking. The ALiner Scout was the stripped model with no sink, stove, refrigerator or toilet. Over the years I have removed literally everything the factory installed. It once had something like TrailManor's dinette setup front and rear with a single cabinet on the right center and a double cabinet left center. It had three ac outlets and two 12v lights but no 12v outlets. It now has a full width storage box/bed across the back which hides an aluminum truck box bolted to the floor. Another box/bed is located left center and hides a 100 qt cooler which is to protect food from extreme heat or cold. The original single cabinet now has casters and is on the left where it hides the porta-potti. On the right is an REI double sink camp kitchen with a Dromedary water bag and a 10 gallon bluebottle gray water tank. I use doorstops to level the sink for proper drainage. The front now has a three drawer Black & Decker garage organizer on each side. I also added wire shelving overhead to give me an attic. Electrically I added three 12v outlets, a 1600 watt inverter, a second battery, solar panels and a fluorescent light. Historically I have mostly camped without electricity but health issues now make that more difficult. I have an implanted cardio device which communicates with an external monitor and it requires ac. My inverter handles the device, the fluorescent light and coffee pot easily but can't handle the heater or microwave. I had decided to add a propane bottle and heater due to the cost and weight of the small propane bottles but on second thought decided to investigate new campers. The one that got me yearning for something new was a Trigano Silver. I passed it on the highway in Italy and then sat next to it waiting in line at the border crossing into Switzerland. Sadly I soon discovered it is made in France and they don't export to the U.S. Google it, they have videos on youtube. Didn't mean to ramble on so I will shut up for now, Earl

Tags
2417 sports