TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
naturegal

Default Questions to ask over phone

Hi everyone
Can you tell me the questions I need to ask over the phone before making a long trip to inspect a TM 2720SL?
Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Try these threads:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=buying+tm

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=buying+tm

I used the search tool,

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Also be aware of significant model year changes though some may have been slipstreamed: 2002-2003 most wood framing relaced with aluminum sandwich. 2006-2007 14" tires replaced by 15" with lift.

Easy way to check early vs late is the spare tire was moved from the rear bumper to under the coach.

I also spend time under the unit checking for rust and corrosion particularly at welds and fasteners. Living in Orlando I've gotten used to no rust but was just looking at a friend's 2008 car who lives east of the Intercoastal for adding a trailer hitch and was surprised at what I saw. Salt air can be just as damaging as road salt.

Finally check the wiring that goes up the street side leg for fraying of the wiring. Since both 120vac and 12vdc are there shorts are not good.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

When we traveled 600 miles to see our camper we asked a lot of question via phone and email.

Ask if it was garage keep or stored outside. How many owners? How dirty the outside and inside is? This will give you an idea of the care and pride of the PO.

Fist we asked about the dents and dings on the camper shell outside, about inside condition; inside scrapes scratch condition walls and fabric and was there any sun fading of the curtains. We asked them to send photos of any concerns.

Then we asked if every thing was worked including the 3 way fridge in all modes, the water in both city and pump mode, hot water heater in propane and elec mode and the AC unit. We asked if the battery was good and if the converter was worked and the age of the tires. Our seller agreed to change the 2 tires with goodyear marathon tires before we arrived, because of the age and the distance we would travel back home when I questioned the tires age and I told him I would need new tires to bring it home.

We received about 20 photos. when we arrived the camper was what we expected.

The price of the camper your looking at could be a very good deal if in great condition, but if in poor condition it's not that great of a deal.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
naturegal

Thanks everyone
I feel a lot more comfortable about the questions I need to ask. I can't wait to get one but am trying to be patient until the right one comes along.

I'm trying to keep a rein on my impatient DH because hunting season is right around the corner and he really wants to have one by then.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Take your time. If at anytime you get that funny feeling that you are hearing BS or their dancing around the question. Don't wast your time to drive to see it.

Our experience is you have to be dealing with an honest straight forward person to risk a long trip. The person we bought our camper from seem to be very sincerer to make sure we would not wast our time driving to see it. At one point we call me to let me know he forgot that it was missing some plastic caps. Over all he did a very good job of describing the camper. Outside was a little more dirty then we expected, but inside was much nicer then we expected.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
rumbleweed

If you decide to go see it, ask to have the fridge started a day before as it takes some time for the fridge to get cold.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
moaboy

Look at structural issues. There will usually be small dings and dents, that is cosmetic. Look at electrical, plumbing, water issues as threads on here suggest.
Negotiate according to the condition. More issues = less money. If the structure is sound, most everything else can be addressed in a manageable fashion.