TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #11
Crusty

Thanks for the advice. Joining today.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would get the cassette toilet.

We had the thetford cassette toilet in our last camper and loved it. To empty you open the outside access door. Pull out the cassette, which by design is sealed when it's removed and will not leak. You take it to any public toilet and dump it. It would hold about 4 day of use for the 2 of use if we used it all the time. Since we mainly used it at night it would hold about 10 days of use.

I don't mine the re-circulating, but would prefer the cassette for ease of use, not needing to wait at a dump station, and being able to simply dump at my house.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

+1 from me on the cassette over recirculating brown water.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
MT Camper

Default Cassette over recirculating

I also had the cassette toilet in my previous camper and would pick it over the recirculating toilet due to easy use and dumping. I don't like the idea of the USED water circulating again and again. I much prefer unused water to flush with and we dry camp always and had no problems using the cassette. But for now I use what we have and that is the recirculating toilet.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #15
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I dry camp a lot.

I replaced the recirculating toilet with a porta-potty Curve. It is similar in operation to a cassette but you have to haul the pootainer through the trailer.

A cassette toilet means you don't have to move the trailer to dump and you don't need to use a dump station if you don't want to. I would go with the cassette.

Aircon is essential if you need it but it draws a lot of power.

I would get the awning. Really nice to have.

40 gallon fresh water capacity. I have 20 and I could use more.

Solar is great (I live in a sunny place) but I don't know what they charge for it these days.

Dual 6 volt batteries are very nice.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
cbossc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwright View Post
Dual 6 volt batteries are very nice.
Why dual 6 volt over 12 volt?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
davlin
TrailManor Master

As it often seems to happen, this thread has descended into "like" and "don't like" votes about the Thetford. I have detected a trend.

Those that don't like the Thetford appear to do a lot of dry camping. Dry camping involves some sort of trip to a dump station. This might be the entire trailer or a tote-along of some sort (lots of threads in this forum about those). Under these circumstances, there is no real disadvantage to a cassette type toilet.

If you mostly camp with full hook-ups, however, giving up the opportunity to connect the sewer line and dump as needed is really not a desirable option, hence the "like" vote for the Thetford. There is of course, the "Sealand" option, and users should look at those threads as well.

In the end, I'm convinced that most of the objections to the Thetford are really conceptual. The thought of recirculating waste just turns some folks off.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

We have the Thetford and have not had any issues. Even if we went to a cassette we would still have to do the dump station to drain the grey water.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I will second the comment to get solar. However, I had TM wire for solar, including the controller, but left the panel off. I got my panel from WindyNation, a 100w panel. Certainly saved money, as the panel was about $120, if I recall. TM wants about $1,000 for the entire system. We didn't break-out what the controller and wiring cost, but with the net price, I was happy going that route.

Also a second on the cassette toilet. That is all I have had in both of my TM, but I am much happier not having to go to a dump station to empty. I can take it and dump every few days, if I want. To me, it is a good setup.

Two 6-volt batteries have more power, and last longer, than a single 12v. But, they take up more room. Tradeoffs. I have one 12v, with a solar panel, and I have plenty of power for us for at least a week. Have not run low on power on any trip. But, I have LED bulbs inside. Until I run low on power, I won't change my setup.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIKERZ View Post
We have the Thetford and have not had any issues. Even if we went to a cassette we would still have to do the dump station to drain the grey water.
Good point, Hikerz. And one that makes me curious; for those of you who are using a cassette toilet, what ARE you doing with your gray water?
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote