TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
blue262

Default How old is too old?

I'm looking at a 2003 2720. I've wanted a TM for years but couldn't afford a new one. I've looked at used and thought this is probably how I will have to do it. But I couldn't decide on a cut off age. I've owned pop-ups and a ten year old pop up is pretty much toast. My experience with campers is pretty much the same, 10 years and too many problems are lurking ahead.

So now I'm considering a 10 year old TM and thinking do these go against my 10 year rule or they are an exception?

I would like to hear owner comments about how well TM's age and what is too old?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I don't mean to over-simplify things, but I would say condition is more important than age. And that has to do with where it has been stored, where it has lived most its life, and how often it's been used. Ideally, a 20-year old unit stored in the garage of the desert southwest and used only 6 times before the husband died is the cream of the crop. Would I want a 5-7 year old unit used every weekend, stored outside in the Florida humidity during the week? I seriously doubt it.

My TM is 13 years old, and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. Does it have parts that are worn? Certainly. But I bet it looks just as good as units half its age, or even younger. I know I haven't had some of the problems that other folks here with younger units have described.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

x2

I looked at a 2006 2720 last weekend (for kn1ghtus), and the only signs of wear were two mars - one on a wall, and one on the bathroom door. The one on the wall can be painted, and the one on the bathroom wall can be covered by some decorative print. (Oh, yes, the Caution sticker for the awning was peeling back on the corners.)

It all depends on what its life has been. Many people look younger than their years, while many also look older. Look at the unit as a trailer, and not as a 10-yr old trailer.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We spent Memorial Day weekend in our 16 year old TM. It's got some wear & tear on it, but everything works great and we so enjoyed staying in it. I would have no qualms towing it across the country at this point.

It's still really solid and we have had to do some repairs on it, but it's been well worth it. This summer I'm going to replace the vent in the front of the trailer but not much else is needed at this point.

It really depends on how much it's been used/abused, maintained, and kept either garaged or covered.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I bought an 8 year old unit that had been out only 7 times. Stored under a cover in a mostly dry climate. It was in really nice shape.

We did have some maintenance issues but nothing serious. Rubber parts tend to dry out. Tires were original and needed replacing. The propane regulator blew. Caulking had dried out and the roof developed a leak.

We bought it for 1/3 of what it sold for new. That's $20,000 with of payments we don't have to make. It's well worth a few weekends working on the thing or a couple of trips to the repair shop.

Just get something in good shape with "low miles".
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

My TM is 2002. It is in good shape. We use it several times per year. I have had no issues or breakdowns or made any repairs. Whether to buy new or old is based on your budget and also on how the unit was stored, maintained, and made. These trailers are well made for what they offer, how they travel, and material used. All mechanical vehicles require periodic maintence. Do some and it shows, do none and it shows, do a lot and these vehicles can last a lifetime.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Tampajohn

With this forum, I can fix almost anything, but I would try to stay with an 04 or newer. Several upgrades that make them hold up better. One is very little wood in the 04 and newer models. Others are the rounded wheel wells. Think if you look around you can find a thread with all the upgrades from year to year. 15 inch tires are a plus also, but again you have to get one of the newer models. I think I am heading to TM this summer to have a spacebar put in to accomodate the larger tires. Just my very humble opinion. John
Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Ours is a 2001 and going strong. As other posters said, it depends on how it was kept and maintained. Ours has always been garaged except when in use.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
blue262

Default Lots of seals and staples

I had a chance today to really look over this 2003 TM. My biggest concern is what looks like miles of linear feet of plastic vinyl and rubber seals everywhere. This along with thousands of little staples holding it all together (some of which were rusty).

How hard is it to replace this stuff if and when it fails? Is this something that would be done by TM or could a handy, industrious guy do this?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue262 View Post
I had a chance today to really look over this 2003 TM. My biggest concern is what looks like miles of linear feet of plastic vinyl and rubber seals everywhere. This along with thousands of little staples holding it all together (some of which were rusty).

How hard is it to replace this stuff if and when it fails? Is this something that would be done by TM or could a handy, industrious guy do this?
That to me is normal look of an older TM. The staples were not coated or stainless from the factory. The linear strips are available from the TM factory. Order by the foot and are inexpensive. The seals are also available. Most of the time, you can clean them with a soft scrub product with bleach. It can be done by a reasonable DIY. Tedious work but can save a lot of money than paying someone else to do it. Issue is locating a shop that understands the TM inside and out?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote