TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Brifla

Default Adding a bathroom?

Hello, I'm new to the site. After much research I've decided that the TM is the only camper for me, so I'm shopping some used ones in my region. I've come across several that did not come with a bathroom and am wondering if there's a possibility to add the bathroom option through the factory on a used TM or if any of you techies have some suggestions or ideas for adding some facilities to the camper. Has anyone already done some form of conversion to add a bathroom to a TM that didn't originally come with one? Would some of the plumbing already be run in every TM? Most of the time we would be using the campsite bathroom but I'd like to know if there are any options for installing any sort of shower and toilet facilities in the camper (beyond a porta potti). I'm an engineer so may be able handle easy to moderate work given instructions. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Thats a new one on me, wasn't aware any TM's were made without a bathroom.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Brifla

I know of 3 right now for sale without the bathroom setup. I think they are all the 2619 series.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

The Thetford recirculating toilet costs like $600 alone if I recall. Not knowing what is in place on the 2619 model that is currently occupying that spot, and the work involved, I have to wonder; does this fall into the category of "more trouble (and cost) than it is worth?"
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Once in a while on this board, there is a completely new question. I've been here more than 10 years, and this is the first time I've seen this one.

Several years ago, TrailManor did make a few of the Sport models. It was basically a 2619 with no interior (kitchen, bathroom, etc). I never understood why they did it, or who the target audience was, and I think the Sport was discontinued shortly. Perhaps this is what you are seeing, though I don't know why you would see several together. Anyone know if there another, later, 2619-like model with no interior? Brifla, do you know the model year of the units you are seeing? The RVIA label (on the outside somewhere) will give you the model name and year. And you can use the Search tool to find a short discussion about the Sport. Is there a kitchen in what you are seeing?

Perhaps you are describing the new 2417 Sport. This appears to be a fully-equipped trailer except that it has a cassette-toilet "option" - from which I infer that there is no bathroom as is found in the larger TMs. I can't offer any guidance on this newer model.

As Britanny Dogs says, adding a bathroom to a Sport might be more time/money than it is worth. There is no plumbing, there is no wiring, there is probably no gray tank and probably no fresh water tank - though it would be worthwhile to check the model description for that model. No toilet, no shower, no sink for kitchen or bathroom. If you are handy, all of this could be added, I guess. Then you have to consider collapsible walls around the bathroom (assuming you need walls).

I'm not one who would try to retrofit it, and I consider myself "handy". You could ask the factory about getting the parts and materials, but even if they would make them available, I don't think you'll like the price.

Just my guess

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm not one who would try to retrofit it, and I consider myself "handy". You could ask the factory about getting the parts and materials, but even if they would make them available, I don't think you'll like the price.
Like Bill, I also consider myself handy, and I agree with him -- I would not attempt this. Too much work, money, and no reward compared to simply buying what you want to start with.

My question is - why would you want to do this? Any time savings you'd achieve by buying one of these locally would be eaten up by just reading about the work you'd have to do. And the money you'd save on gas will be eaten up by your first part (like a gray water tank, toilet, tub, whatever). I live in LA, and I drove to Tennessee to buy mine. You don't have to drive that far though -- just make it a weekend trip.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Brifla

LOL, thanks guys! I believe they are 2005 and 2006 2619 Sport models scattered between Florida and East Texas. The setup appears to offer a dinette/bed in the place of the bathroom, allowing for sleeping 8 on 4 total beds. I'm guessing that people who need the extra sleeping space but plan on using the campground bathroom were the target buyers. I realize that it may be more trouble than it's worth to add a full bath but was just curious if anyone on the board had done some modifications to provide some level of facilities. These campers do have a fresh water holding tank and a sink so they are similar to the popup I grew up with. My budget is fairly limited for a used camper and these units are priced significantly lower but obviously you're giving up something significant. Thanks again for your input!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
moaboy

I agree trying to put in a " bathroom" would be expensive and problematic.
However, you could make your situation more convenient by adding a portable potti sold by a number of retailers including Sears. I think some call it a "canister" model. The toilet is on top and a sealed container is on the bottom.
Some models you can add water from a separate tank to " flush" it.
I had one in a vw pop top camper and it worked very well.
Good luck.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
LOL, thanks guys! I believe they are 2005 and 2006 2619 Sport models scattered between Florida and East Texas. The setup appears to offer a dinette/bed in the place of the bathroom, allowing for sleeping 8 on 4 total beds. I'm guessing that people who need the extra sleeping space but plan on using the campground bathroom were the target buyers. I realize that it may be more trouble than it's worth to add a full bath but was just curious if anyone on the board had done some modifications to provide some level of facilities. These campers do have a fresh water holding tank and a sink so they are similar to the popup I grew up with. My budget is fairly limited for a used camper and these units are priced significantly lower but obviously you're giving up something significant. Thanks again for your input!
When we had our pop-up's we used a five gallon bucket and a lug able lou lid from Bass Pro. Plastic liners are optional.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote