TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlene&ed View Post
That sounds like a simple, cost effective idea to use an electric winch to pull your TM into your garage, particularly for folks like me with a driveway which slopes down from the garage.
Appreciate if you can reply with any information on how you installed your winch in the garage, like how did you securely mount it and any other tips or advice. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Had a friend with the proper equipment molly-bolt it into the concrete on the floor of my garage, nearest the back wall. That thing won't budge for anything! Works well enough, a little slow, but I'll live. The only thing is that it's 12V, so I have a 12V car battery jump-box that I hook to the wires, and that seems to work well.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
SmokeyJoe335

I have a 2008 2720SL and I live in a condo. I rent a garage on the condo property and menuvering is kind of tight. I purchased a POWERMOVER AC6 and I could not move my trailer around without it. The entrance to my garage has a 10% grade and there is no way I can push the TM. I am alone and although the AC6 is pricy, it works great for me. SmokeyJoe335
SmokeyJoe335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
Goodyear Travels

I just had the good fortune to purchase a Power Caster II for $350 on Craig's List from an individual who lives within 50 miles. I've wanted one for quite some time but $1200 + $200 shipping for new was way above my means.

This trailer mover can handle 6500 lbs and about 800 lbs tongue weight so a 2720sl should be nothing for it. I used my electric grinder to cut the sides off the very heavy, steel bracket designed to bolt to trailers with 2 inch box steel frames. It was unnecessarily massive for my tastes. It was, however, an alternative to linking to the rather weak shaft of the trailer's front wheel.

So, I'm taking my swing arm to my local welder to have what's left of the bracket (basically just a cylinder to catch in the cup of the PC'er) permanently welded to the underside of the swingarm -- for strength, simplicity, and improved appearance.

I'll post pics of the modification along with shots of the PC moving the trailer up my inclined driveway. In the past -- I heated the clutch on my Tacoma by repeatedly "feathering" it -- to move the trailer within inches of the garage side wall. After 35 trips -- the fly wheel had burn marks and needed to be resurfaced (along with a new clutch and pressure plate). It was pretty much -- unavoidable.

You have to be watchful, dedicated, or just lucky (like me) if you want to catch one of these on Craig's List. I guess I was the 1st caller and he had 6 more calls within the next 12 hours -- several offering more than his initial asking price to entice him to turn me away. Thankfully, he was old-school -- a man of his word.

But PC's (or similar devices) are an investment that can prevent injury and make the parking process almost "fun".

One of our members is offering a PC for sale. Someone should grab it.

Pic's in a week or two. Eric
Old 11-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
happybeebob

Goodyear Travels:
Buy of the Century there.Would love to get a deal like that.