TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
B&J from Texas

Default Bears

I have searched as best I can to find out how TM perform in bear country. I'm either not knowing where to look or it hasn't been asked.

In Grizzly country, they have bear lockers for food storage. I've seen what the state parks show when people leave a candy bar in the car and bears tear in. I just have visions of being wakened from a sound sleep with a bear clawing in because it smells food through the gaps with Velcro or the slide for the bed.

What has been real experience with this?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J from Texas View Post
I have searched as best I can to find out how TM perform in bear country. I'm either not knowing where to look or it hasn't been asked.

In Grizzly country, they have bear lockers for food storage. I've seen what the state parks show when people leave a candy bar in the car and bears tear in. I just have visions of being wakened from a sound sleep with a bear clawing in because it smells food through the gaps with Velcro or the slide for the bed.

What has been real experience with this?
I have never heard of a bear breaking into an RV. I would not doubt that it could or has happened, but I never heard about it.

If one tried to come into mine while I was in there, he would get a little surprise.
Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Redhawk

I don't know about grizz, but around here I have seen the Black bears help themselves to food left outside in the coolers, but not inside a camper. If you are camping in a RV park, they usually go for the trash cans if starving, but mostly stay away from all the people and goings ons. Make a lot of noise and they usually move on pretty quickly. Beleive me, there's more bears in town than there are in the mountains....so it seems.

This one was in the back yard this week helping himself to the bird feeder, he moved on as soon as I tapped on the window.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
TM_Matt

My first major trip w the TM was to Yellowstone. I saw quite a few grizzlies! I even saw a black bear. Follow instructions and you should be alright. There were plenty of tent campers at YS, too. There are risks. I wouldn't let a few bears stop me from enjoying life.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

B&J -

We have camped in Yellowstone, and in the high Sierras. In both places, entry was forbidden to tents and to campers with canvas sides, but entry was readily granted to a TrailManor. In Yellowstone, the rules were "no food in the camper, and no food or coolers in the tow vehicles". In the Sierras, bear boxes were provided for each site, and the rangers were VERY insistent that all campers use them, checking every site at least twice as each evening progressed. Did they work? I don't know, but in the week we were there, there were no reported bear incidents in the campground.

My guess is that if a grizzly wants to get into your camper or tow vehicle, he will. A hardside camper makes it harder for him, but not impossible. That is part of the experience of being outside. So make it a point to make your site less attractive than your neighbor's site.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

When I belonged to the group: Outbackers.com someone posted a pic of a keystone outback that that been broken into by at least one bear.

I have googled around tonight and found some reports of campers broken into. I got more hits with travel trailer then camper or rv.

Examples:

http://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news/....html?mode=jqm

http://www.tricitynews.com/news/126616193.html

Last August we camped at the WMA in the Ocala National Forest. We always look for bear sign as we drive in ...they love to claw the electric poles etc. We also saw sign on the trails where we compete in 3d traditional archery. Track, scat, logs turned over for grubs etc.
We saw more sign then usual...we slept in out TM and never heard a thing...and we have a very quiet generator. I cooked the first night..we had no problem...the next night...more people had been on site longer...Not only did families cook but their were outdoor food vendors with dining areas at the WMA that served 3 meals a day. We had left the forest to go to a fish house. I was amazed at the mess the bears made throughout the camping areas of the WMA...this includes the bunks houses too.

We never heard a thing that night. We were fine...and had no problem. Now I wonder about not hearing anything...

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
moaboy

Bears just add to the "ambiance" of a place, don't you think?

That's my thinking I guess until I have a bad experience...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
clown9644

Bear says he would never tear your place ;up! Honest he is a good little dog.

Dave
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Bears don't bother me when I go backpacking. But I don't go backpacking in grizzly country. And, I don't store my food in the tent. Not even tooth paste or chap-stick goes in the tent.

I have never been closer to a bear than 30 feet from momma and her two cubs. Four of us were hiking along the trail.

Deer are interesting when backpacking. I have been surrounded by 20+ deer, the closest less than 15 feet away.

When backpacking in California, I am more concerned with rattle snakes.

Safety is relative. I nearly killed myself in a solo snow skiing accident February 2011. One more neck injury and I am likely dead. So, falling down a flight of stairs in the city could be more dangerous than a wild animal in the woods.

Life is for living, enjoy the ride.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
namklg

Like all have said, follow the park instructions on food and you should be safe. We have camped in Colter Bay Campground in the Tetons with both a pop-up and our TrailManor. With the pop-up, we moved all the toothpaste, smelly stuff, food and dishes each night into the truck cab.
With the TM, we did not have to move food each night into the truck cab. We never emptied the refrigerator.
We did have a mama bear and her cubs about 100 feet from us in the pop-up during the dinner hour. But, nothing happened that night to food sources.

One thing to remember is that most cars have a remote key fob with an alarm. Have that near you in bed and if something starts to happen, push the panic button! You will have lots of help in a short time.

Tags
bears, safety, security