TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Al-n-Sue

I think it is just a designation on the title. I know for cars that is how it works. I recently tried to buy a car at a dealer that had been wrecked and repaired and my credit union wouldn't finance it! Probably not an issue if you pay cash.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Of course, a salvage title will definitely affect resale value, as evidenced by the low-priced auctions on eBay for TM's with salvage titles. But perhaps your TM will be old enough by the time you want to sell it that the depreciated value of the salvage designation will be minimal. And presumably you are getting a bit of a friend discount, so that offsets any loss anyway.

You might also check with your insurance agent to check to make sure a salvage vehicle is insurable. I can't think of a reason why an insurance company would refuse your money, but who knows.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

If the insurance company has determined that the vehicle (including trailers) is a total loss (cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle), they may dispose of the vehicle or they may pay off the bank and re-register the vehicle with a "Salvage" title (that's a whole new title) and allow the owner to keep the vehicle or send it to auction (which is rare).

In most States, a salvage title does not have the name of the manufacturer or the date of manufacture on it. Under the name of manufacturer, it just says, "Salvage".

If the title is in the owner's name (no loan) there is no loan payment to be made, there is no transfer of title and the owner will just be paid off by the insurance company and allowed to keep the vehicle (in most cases). It is then up to the owner to notify DMV. Hardly anyone does that.

If the trailer was repaired at the TrailManor factory, I would think that the owner had very good insurance and the damage was determined to be less than the resale value of the trailer (which at the time was probably about ~$12K-$15K).

As far as insurance goes......... As I understand it, most insurance companies will not insure a vehicle, for comprehensive coverage, that has a salvage title. Public liability and property damage is covered by the TV's insurance as long as it is hooked up to the TV. Sometimes, you can have it put on to your Home-Owner's Insurance as a rider, to protect it from theft, storm damage etc. Check your insurance policy. If you are involved in a collision that is someone else's fault, your insurance may include the damage to your trailer in any claim (check with your agent). However, if you back into a building and do damage to the trailer, don't expect the insurance company to repair the trailer, however, they should be liable for repairs to the building.

If the trailer does have a salvage title but has been repaired, be sure to carefully document the condition of the trailer and the value of the trailer. If someone rear ends your trailer (for instance), the insurance company for the responsible party may claim that the trailer has "$0" value because it has a salvage title. It is up to you to prove that the trailer has value. The salvage title is proof for the other side that the trailer has no value.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Barb & Tim

One other thing... we thought we could put it in our garage but we re-measured (we were so worried about the width we forgot about the depth!) and it won't fit so we will need to find a storage facility. Anyone have any tips on what to look for? I read a thread on here where someone got their TM stolen from a facility that had looked pretty reputable.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If your garage is only short by a few feet (2-3 maybe?), you might consider either getting a TM with a swing tongue, or buying your friend's TM and having a swing tongue installed. Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but I believe both the factory in TN and the largest dealer in CO (The Car Show) both install them.

I don't know the details, but they are here on the forum if you search for them. But by spending a few hundred bucks for a swing tongue might allow you to store it in the garage, saving alot of hassle in the end, and probably alot of money over a few years too, and eliminate the worry about your TM getting stolen/vandalized in storage.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Some states (such as Maine, for example) are non-title states for trailers under a certain weight (3000 pounds in Maine). My TM has no title, though I am told I could get one if I paid an extra fee. If you are in such a state, or plan to be in one, that might simplify the title issue.

I Googled "Maine trailer title" and the law came right up. I imagine you could do the same with any state.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
Barb & Tim

Well, we got to look at our friends repaired TM and it looks like they did a good job. They replaced the entire upper rear panel (the old one had crumpled), straightened out the frame, did some repair work on the lower, left rear end and replaced some of the cabinets (total about $9,000 in damage). Couldn't see any remaining signs of the original damage, it opened and closed smoothly, the tires showed no unusual wear patterns and it seemed to track straight out on the open freeway.

It's been kept outside with a cover on it. The inside looked very clean and didn't smell bad. THe outside had some mold on the window trim and looked a little "rough". We don't think he has had it opened for at least a year. He says all the appliances work. What kind of life does the TM 2619 have? Since it's a 2001, how many more years do you think we could use it without a lot of costly repairs? (I know that's hard to say, especially without pictures but any guesses???)

However, we noticed a couple other things while looking at it and were wondering how you folks address.

1. The door to the TM doesn't seemt to be very substantial. This is a concern for us because we were hoping to use it in remoted areas of the Northern Rockies and Cascades where there are bears. Any words on wisdom on the TM degree of bear proofness? These are the places that require tent campers and folks in soft sided trailers to put all food in locked metal (or extremely strong plastic) bearproof containers. We were hoping that we could keep our food, etc in the trailer without fear of the bears or the hassle and expense of additional bear proofing measures.

2. Also, there is a gap between the upper, front panel and the body of the trailer. We didn't measure it, but it looks like it is about 2-3" wide.
Our concern here is varmints (raccoons, chipmunks, mice, etc).

We have a friend who was camping out of his car in West Virginia and was storing his food in the back seat to protect it from the critters. He left one of the windows open about 2-3" to allow for ventilation. The next morning when he awoke he found the bags and boxes which had held his food, shredded and the remains of his food scattered all over the interrior of his car. At first we suspected vandalism (some of our other friends have a rather childish sence of humor), but we found raccoon prints (where the raccoon must have held the glazed donuts) on the inside of his car windows. Lesson learned by the rest of the group! Never leave your windows open in the forest (not even a little) with food in the car.

Do the gaps allow pests to get in?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb & Tim View Post
It's been kept outside with a cover on it. The inside looked very clean and didn't smell bad. THe outside had some mold on the window trim and looked a little "rough". We don't think he has had it opened for at least a year.

1. The door to the TM doesn't seemt to be very substantial. This is a concern for us because we were hoping to use it in remoted areas of the Northern Rockies and Cascades where there are bears. Any words on wisdom on the TM degree of bear proofness?
As far as the outside having some mold on it, that shouldn't be a concern. 1 whole side of the used Trailmanor that we bought was green from algae growth, and the rest was dirty from not being cleaned for a year or 2. It cleaned up great, and looked like 1 off of the factory floor after I got through with it.

Mold on the inside would be a concern.

The TM door is very substantial. It is just as strong as a conventional camper door, so I would not be concerned with bears. If a bear really wants into a camper, then they will get in regardless if you have a TM or a high dollar 5th wheeler.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Barb and Tim,
We are original owners of a 2001 2619. We've used it for an average of three weeks camping a year since purchase. I don't track miles but we've been to the Canadian border twice (from east Texas), to Arizona several times, and to West Virginia. Plus many trips to Colorado and within Texas.

The only appliance I've had to replace is the side mount air conditioner and that was somewhat of a challenge. You can find my posts about it on the forum. HarveyRv's help through the forum was invaluable in doing this repair. I would recommend that you join the forum when your trial membership expires, the info here is priceless.

I've fixed a lot of additional minor things myself but the only repair I've ever had to take it to the dealer for is a gas line problem in the oven. All the other appliances are still working well.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Barb and Tim -

In the high Sierras (Yosemite, as I recall), the use of bear boxes is required, and the rangers will check. The heavy steel bear boxes are provided, mounted in concrete, at each campsite. I think unopened cans of food in the TM is OK, and food in the TM refrig is OK. But no packages of crackers in the TM, no unwashed dishes, no coolers in the car unless their shape is disguised with a blanket. The same rule applies to cosmetics - bears apparently think they smell great. Stuff like that - it has been a few years. But as I recall, everyone used the bear boxes, and no one had any trouble, and the ranger we talked to had no worries about our TM. The rangers there, as well in bear campgrounds in Yellowstone, welcomed our TM as a hard-side, in areas where canvas pop-ups and tents were not allowed.

There should be no gap at the front of the trailer. I'm having trouble visualizing just where it is, but yes, I would think that any gap this size would invite squirrels in particular. Let me suggest that you either post a picture of the gap here, or take a look at another 2619 and figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2619, accident, rear-ended