TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Linda Dyer

Default RV market freefall effect on new buyer

We're looking at TM as perhaps the best insurance that we can buy a camper, use it, and possibly sell it without losing our shirts.

Still, the RV industry is experiencing a contraction. On eBay, TT bids are stopping at 1/3 to 1/2 of seller's expectations. TM auctions make for a small sample, but I see bids stopping at about 60-70% of expections: Better, but not much.

My friend in the RV biz says sales are down 41%. Dealers are closing, and manufacturers will start doing the same, perhaps before year end.

RVs with lots of specialty parts on board will lose resale worse than others if their manufacturer fails, which adds to our risk if we buy TM.

And finally, the NADA book value has little meaning in this setting, but I haven't seen sellers dropping their prices. Okay, so the units don't sell, but people trying to buy don't get what they want either.

So, I'm wondering what TM owners think about all this.
  • How do you think TM resale value will hold up in the coming months?
  • How robust is the manufacturer? Do you think they'll be here to service your rig and source spare parts?
  • If you were to sell your rig, how would you price it? NADA book? Book minus discount? How much discount?