TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

With 2 kids, (12 and 15, when we bought it) our 2720 would feel close in when we camped in the rain. I think you'd be more comfortable in a 3023. The kids will get bigger. Two of them would fit into the bed in the front and one could sleep on the sofa, and then you'd still have room to sit on the other seat to use the table or put your shoes on.

We'd all hang out in the front to watch a DVD at night, my daughter and I could sit up top in the front bed, son on the dinette, and DH had a special fold up chair that fit in the doorway. That worked, but when we were trying to cook dinner or get ready in the morning to go somewhere, it got a little cramped, especially using the dinette bed.

Now that they don't come with us much anymore, it seems huge.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb 4 things about the 2619 from 2005:

First, about the power converter. In 2005 it was (perhaps) an "American Enterprises" model, which didn't work very well, or a Magnetek/B-W Manufacturing/Parallax 6300 or 7300 - which didn't work very well either. During the late 2006/ early 2007 period, the 2006/2007 model years, TM "upgraded" to a WFCO "3-stage" converter.
Many owners with electrical expertise don't like the WFCO either, but it is very widely used in other brands of Trailers as well. And everything but the actual converter "main board" works pretty well - The circuit breakers, the DC Distribution Board, and etc. Because it's used by so many manufacturers, some high-quality upgrade kits are being made (Progressive Dynamics 4600 series, or PowerMax/Boondocker "Gen 4"). AFAIK, TM users of either upgrade kit are delighted. (I've got the PowerMax, most of the other upgrade people have chosen the PD.)
The WFCO, from a later model year is a little bit better to begin with, and it's upgrade kits are also seem to work better than the upgrade kits for the AE and Magnetek/Parallax.

Second, about the axle, wheels, and tires.
Current '2720' models come with 15" wheels and a relatively strong axle (IIRC, Dexter Torflex of either "5000 lbs" or "5200 lbs" capacity.) The 2005 definitely used a "3500 lb" axle with 14 inch wheels. A very common upgrade which TM owners perform is to increase the wheel size to 15", allowing for stronger load range "D" tires. This helps avoid blow-outs. But it can take considerable time, depending on whether the trailer already includes the "lift kit" for high ground clearance. (You would need that, in order to complete the upgrade to 15" wheels.)
HOWEVER, even with the more capable tires, a "standard" 2619 from those years is limited by the 3500 lb axle. Cargo carrying capacity is limited, especially if it also carries the weight of a rooftop air conditioner. Check the values provided by TM on the "street side" VIN sticker, or inside the door under the sink. Can you travel with that amount of in-the-trailer Cargo?

Third - does it have the FACTORY version of the "swing hitch"?
If so, then you will need to weld on a couple of strength enhancing plates (or hire somebody to do that for you.) Be sure to check carefully, whether it is already cracked- that weakness would make repair more complicated. The factory version of the "Swing Hitch" from 2005 had "issues", newer models don't.
If the swing hitch was installed by the dealer, then it probably has no issues. For example, Dinuba's welder, in Central California, designed and built a far superior "Swing Hitch". (I've got one of theirs; he's now retired form the business.) I think that the Car Show (in Colorado) also makes a great one. Custom RV was the first designer of such a hitch, before it became an option at the factory - but I don't know whether an old hitch, made by them, would have the same "issues" as the OEM Factory version did.

Fourth - does it have to be a 2619?
If this is mandatory for storage in your garage, then it is capable of sleeping 5. But it will be very cramped for meals - the small table really can't handle more than 4 people with comfort. Since all-aluminum TM Trailers last a really long time, make sure that this model works for you. I love mine, but we travel as only a couple - with a large dog.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
moaboy

The 25th Anniversary TM also launched a number of changes-upgrades. I believe it was first offered in 2008, maybe 2009. That is when they first offered the new paint scheme (old blue, new current brown deign), 15 inch mag wheels, tinted glass, different flooring, new interior fabrics and "marble" look counter tops to name just a few that I can remember. Later in calendar 2009 they incorporated these changes across all models, some of them standard, some as options.
I had been looking at TM's for a number of years and liked the new ones so much, that is when I jumped in and bought my 2009.5 2720.
One recent change I think is a particularly good one is the taller sink that is then flush with the rest of that section of kitchen counter. It comes with a folding kitchen faucet. So as time goes on they keep tweaking the models I think for the better.
All in all, newer is better for a number of reasons if one can afford to go that route.
But if one can only afford an older model, that works too. What's important is enjoying the outdoor experience.
PS I too have never had buyer's remorse, I just wish I could get out more often....
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

My brother just bought a 2013/2720 model and the counter being level is a great important difference but the new style fold down faucet I find has a lot to be desired. The down spout is very tiny and the one thing that DW noticed right away is that there is no spray handle and hose on the new setup which she says she would really miss. So gain some loose some.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Rickst29, I have the WFCO converter. Can you provide a little more information on the advantages of the upgrade to it and a link to where they are sold?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwantau View Post
My brother just bought a 2013/2720 model and the counter being level is a great important difference but the new style fold down faucet I find has a lot to be desired. The down spout is very tiny and the one thing that DW noticed right away is that there is no spray handle and hose on the new setup which she says she would really miss. So gain some loose some.
Before I found my 2010 model I was looking at the new 2013's and thought the one height sink was better. Now that I have the 2010 with the two level sink I think I like it better. I definitely like the faucet better.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
......................snip.......................

Third - does it have the FACTORY version of the "swing hitch"?
If so, then you will need to weld on a couple of strength enhancing plates (or hire somebody to do that for you.) Be sure to check carefully, whether it is already cracked- that weakness would make repair more complicated. The factory version of the "Swing Hitch" from 2005 had "issues", newer models don't.
If the swing hitch was installed by the dealer, then it probably has no issues. For example, Dinuba's welder, in Central California, designed and built a far superior "Swing Hitch". (I've got one of theirs; he's now retired form the business.) I think that the Car Show (in Colorado) also makes a great one. Custom RV was the first designer of such a hitch, before it became an option at the factory - but I don't know whether an old hitch, made by them, would have the same "issues" as the OEM Factory version did.
On our 2011 the factory swing hitch still had so many issues we had it removed. There were just to many cracks and weld failures.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
moaboy

I've not seen the level counter. Is the advantage that it level or the sink is higher or both? I understand the less than desirable faucet and no spray. Just have not experienced the redone sink/counter yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My wife cooks - she is much better at it that I am. So I help by cleaning up after meals. For me - and I am not particularly tall - washing dishes in the low sink is a back-breaking experience. Raising the sink by 4 inches would be very welcome, even if it means giving up the sprayer (oops, our 2006 does not have a sprayer!)

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I have the single level counter and it does feel better than the two level would. My only grip is with the faucet. It neck of the faucet must be stowed when closing the rig. I forgot to do this once and bent the neck! Stupid owner tricks....I was able to straighten it enough that it is still usable, but I'm sure I will have to replace it in the future. They are pricy to say the least.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote