TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Exclamation Urgent question about hauling a Trailmanor

After saving up and looking for a long time we have finally purchased a 2003 3124KB. It is located close to 1800 miles away from us so we are paying to have it shipped to our home using the uShip service. One of the shippers said that he can haul it on his 3 car/4 truck trailer. He has the lowest bid for the shipment. Not only that, but if he hauls it on his trailer, then the tires, wheels, bearings etc. will have that much less wear.

The question I have that the shipper asked is: "Is there a problem hauling the Trailmanor backward on the bed of the trailer?" Since the camper overlaps as it is closed, if it is hauled backwards then the air would be hitting into that seam.

I am hoping for advice from owners out there that are more familiar with how clamped down the Trailmanor is when it is closed than I am. Would hauling a Trailmanor backwards down the highway be problematic with the wind resistance? Would the wind possibly cause the trailer to pull up or put unbearable strain on the latching system?

Thanks for your reply. We need to make a decision on the shipper soon, so any input would be much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is really a question for the factory, but I can't see a problem as long as you have a rock shield over the rear window. Yes, if the travel occurs in a rainstorm, the wind will tend to blow the rain into the seam where the front and rear shells meet, and although the seal is good, it is probably not perfect against 70 mph air blast. On the other hand, there are actually two seals between the roofs, so I would think that whatever makes it past the outer seal will not make it past the second.

But as I say, I would query the factory. I have seen them trailer-haul three TMs at a time, but they were all facing forward.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
MisterP

If the trailer shells are locked down and the corner latches are secured properly, there should be no additional risk to the trailer. The only thought I have is if the trailer is facing backward, a heavy rain might weep into the seals where the shells meet, but I don't think it's a huge risk.

A bigger concern IMO is the main door is facing backward, and if not secured it could fly open and either get damaged or let water in. Ask the shipping company if they could seal all around the door with blue painters tape to keep it shut. It should not leave any sticky residue on the trailer.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
moaboy

I think it would work. Good idea about making sure door is well secured,but painters tape won't hold against mich tension though. If it is securely latched I would think you will be fine.
Good luck.
PS what route is the transit?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
....The question I have that the shipper asked is: "Is there a problem hauling the Trailmanor backward on the bed of the trailer?".....
Yes there is a problem! If your answer is "No problem" and there is damage then the shipper can say that you authorized the backward loading and therefore the damage is your fault. I would not use this shipper.

Quote:
....Since the camper overlaps as it is closed, if it is hauled backwards then the air would be hitting into that seam.....
If the roof shells bounce open even a little bit at 70 mph, the wind could easily rip the front shell off of the TM. All of the equipment on the roof of the TM is designed for forward towing. If one of the vent latches pop, then that vent will be torn off of the TM. The A/C has the condenser coil opening in the rear. Air pressure may be enough to break the cover from its bolts.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mike -

That is a truly excellent point about the air conditioner cover. I was concentrating elsewhere, and didn't even think of it. The roadside is littered with air conditioner covers - and all those, I assume, were lost while towing forward!

Same comment applies to the vent and fan covers, and possibly the TV antenna as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
MisterP

Mike's comments are true. Everything on the trailer is designed to move through the air in one direction. I too got a bit of tunnel vision thinking about the structural aspects of the trailer. But anything installed on the shells is at risk. My initial though was that accessories should withstand wind similar to a bad storm. But sustained highway speeds and vibration is a different environment.

There must be companies that can winch a trailer onto the carrier in a forward direction.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Beak12

If you can't get answers from the factory (they may be closed) You might want to caLL (Custom RV 714-630-8410) they receive trailers from the factory all the time on flat bed type rigs. I have seen pictures and they carry about 2 or 3 at a time. They are vary helpfull folks.

PS: The are closed on Sunday.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

Default It is done

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I did call the factory as well as post my question here. The guy at the factory thought there would be no problems. Based on that and the first few responses on here, I went ahead and booked the shipment yesterday. The company seemed very helpful, and they were actually a local company so that was good I thought.
Of course, per Murphy's Law, as soon as I booked the shipment a bunch of posts came on today warning against such a haul.
The shipper has agreed to secure all of the vents and covers as well as the doors and latches with tape, etc. So, hopefully, it rides OK down the road.
I will try to remember to post the results of the trip on here to let you all know how it goes and for future folks who might look all over the country for a Trailmanor!
To answer one other question the route is from near St. Louis, Missouri right through the heart of the country up to the Northwest corner of Montana near Glacier National Park.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Get shipper to put a long cinch strap around the front shell and frame right near the bag seal. Members have used this method when their shell tie downs (latches) fail. This would be a nice preventive measure and back-up system

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deliver, haul, transport