TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
sallyport

Default New TM prospective ownwe

We have a 2003 Highlander w/ 68k miles that can tow 35k max. It has the tow package on it. TM is very appealing. There is a new one 6 hours away that is 29k pounds and has what we need. It is the 2417 standard model. Its 2 of us and we will load no more than 150 pounds, if that. So we will be at at around 30k total.
We rented a 2800 pound Innsbruck to test towing and it was heavy and high profile. Questions are: will the low profile be easier to tow? is it still too heavy? will it feel different than Innsbruck on the hiway? Should we make the trip to look at it or are we out of our tow weight for safety? Thanks so much.

PS are the toilets a hassle?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

there is lots of thoughts on this,
but where are you towing, mountains? flats of the plains? also your exp. at towing, these need to be factored in also,
just my opinion but a tm should tow with more ease, will not have the wind drag, or the sway of a full size trailer.
also no issues with my thedford, like anything ,you take care of it, and it will do the same.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

Hi Sallyport,

Your Highlander, with tow package can tow 3500 lbs. You should plan on a 2417 being very close to that. I always recommend that you plan for greater weight than you think. For instance, if the fresh water tank (40 gallons) was full, that's an additional 300+ lbs. Propane adds weight, and it seems we always add more stuff that we don't even think about. I'm not saying that you can't tow with this combination, but I think you'll find that hills and head winds will be problematic for you. The low profile trailer will tow much nicer than the one you rented, but weight is weight, regardless of profile.

As for the Thetford recirculating toilets: I'm afraid you will find two completely different opinions on this subject from TM owners. My wife and I have owned two TM's, and have camped in a variety of environments, and have had absolutely no issues with them. We use them just like our toilets at home, but include the recommended deodorant/chemicals. Others have complained vigorously about odor problems.

Good luck in your search, and happy camping!

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
clown9644

Remember that the weights are DRY and not really what you will be towing. You may need to add water if dry camping which is heavy, you will have 2 propane tanks that will add another 40+ pounds, may or may not have additional items added that are not part of the weight, such as air conditioning, awning, etc. Ask the dealer for what is part of sticker weights and what was added afterwards. If all else call the factory and they can tell you.
The good part is that the TM does not have the wind resistance as it is at the same height as your Tow Vehicle in most cases so no wind brake behind you.

Please note that you will probably need a weight distribution hitch as the tongue weight may exceed your hitch's weight without one as well as it may lift your front up and/or exceed your tv rear axle weight. Do not listen to most sales people, they will tell you all is fine in most cases (there are exceptions). You have got to get all the specs for your tv and match them to what you are towing.

In my opinion you will be right on the upper limits of your vehicle if not over them.

And NO the commode is no big deal. People complain about an odor (I don't smell it), and other issues, none of which is that big a deal. I use mine for everything and dump about every 4th day or so.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
sallyport

Default Towing a TM..too much weight for 35k max??

Thanks for the replies.. To clarify..we are novice drivers, we will definitely get the weight dist. bars, and the 3000 pounds is with all the accessories and our stuff too. However, did not know about the 40 lb propane tanks. We would otherwise carry no water and fill up when we camp.. My gut feeling is its too much weight for too little tow power, but was intrigued due to low profile and less wind resistance We will be travelling all over but mainly in the southwest and up north to Wyo.. If someone knows something I don't please reply..still need to take drive for 5 hours to see one...or not. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
MisterP

I have owned two TMs, and the Thetford toilet odor was a big problem for us in both of them. So now we have a Porta Potti. Some owners have had no problems, but for those of us who have, it's a Real Big deal.

A 3500 lb rated tow vehicle is undersized for all but the smallest of Trailmanors. Empty weights stated by manufacturers and dealers are for stripped units without any accessories such as awnings, air conditioners, batteries and so forth. This forum has many posts that discuss "real" towing weights. Do some searching for more information.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb Ask Mr. Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyport View Post
Thanks for the replies.. To clarify..we are novice drivers, we will definitely get the weight dist. bars, and the 3000 pounds is with all the accessories and our stuff too. However, did not know about the 40 lb propane tanks. We would otherwise carry no water and fill up when we camp.. My gut feeling is its too much weight for too little tow power, but was intrigued due to low profile and less wind resistance We will be travelling all over but mainly in the southwest and up north to Wyo.. If someone knows something I don't please reply..still need to take drive for 5 hours to see one...or not. Thanks!
If you can get Mr. Adventure's attention, He has much experience towing with a Highlander! Also he can school you about weight distribution!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
sallyport

Talking Mr. Adventure. We need your imput and great experience

If you are around, please respond....Mr. Adventure with a Highlander.
Thank You
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
moaboy

I've towed a 2720 just fine with an Odyssey and now a Venza. Based on that experience your Hoghlander would work well in all but the most extreme of conditions. On one trip to Maine I had four adults, Honda 3000 generator, 40 gallons of water and additional freezer/refrig. It's the whole concept behind TM.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
lbmooney

Hi There, We own a TM 3023 and it is a breeze to tow. I don't think you will regret it for a moment! Go for it.

We are currently selling ours, but only because we don't have time to use it. Good luck.