TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Lock Boxes

Has anyone ever installed, or seen, a secure lockbox or safe in a TM? I would like to have one.

Matt at Custom RV told me that he had installed one. But since we were talking about other things I failed to ask him where he put it. I am interested in having one installed if it can reasonably be done.

It seems to me that the lightweight construction of the TM would make this difficult. Even if installed, it might be easy just to tear it out.

Anyone have one or seen one? Any thoughts on this?

Please tell me about it.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No experience. Don't recall that it has come up on this board. It will depend largely on how big a box. A letterbox the size of a cigar box or two would be different from a safe of any size. It will also depend on whether your primary goal is to hide it from smash-and-grab thieves, or to allow it to be found but very tough to get into.

If you are looking for something heavy, I imagine you would want it to be on the floor because of the weight. You could choose a location (and a box) that would allow you to bolt it through the floor and into the frame.

If frequent access is not planned, a smaller size box could be hidden under the tub, behind the converter.

A box a couple inches thick could be recessed into the floor in one of the cabinets, so it isn't readily visible even with the cabinet open.

Lots of ideas, depending on what you have in mind.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Has anyone ever installed, or seen, a secure lockbox or safe in a TM? I would like to have one.

Matt at Custom RV told me that he had installed one. But since we were talking about other things I failed to ask him where he put it. I am interested in having one installed if it can reasonably be done.

It seems to me that the lightweight construction of the TM would make this difficult. Even if installed, it might be easy just to tear it out.

Anyone have one or seen one? Any thoughts on this?

Please tell me about it.

Tom
I'm speaking conceptually, of course, because I don't go camping with anything very valuable (except for the Adventuremobile and the TrailManor, of course). As I think about it, we've never had anything stolen from a campsite, ever.

But if I wanted to do this, I'd find a place in a cabinet directly over a frame member where I could put 2 carriage bolts (1/4" is probably all you'd need) up through the frame, floor, and into the bottom of a lightweight safe (1/8" or so metal should do it). As you point out, Fort Knox isn't one of your choices in an RV, and your objective is presumably to require an inconvenient amount of time, tools, and noise from a burglar.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default lock box

For our trip to Alaska we put a fire proof lock box in the TV under the rear seat. That way it went where we did. A PITA to get at but more secure than in a pop-up.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
For our trip to Alaska we put a fire proof lock box in the TV under the rear seat. That way it went where we did. A PITA to get at but more secure than in a pop-up.
Scrubjay,

That under the back seat location is a good idea. My supercab f-150 could handle that. However, one of the main things I want to carry in it has to be in "a locked compartment not accessable from the passenger compartment" in my state.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

This is slightly off topic but one thing we have "somewhere" is a copy of all of our debit/credit cards, front and back, just in case. The back is as important as the front as that is where the phone numbers are.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Oh, that's funny! Can't duplicate that on a copy machine!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
MisterP

On my 3124 and my toy hauler I installed lock boxes. Both were bolted through the floor with fender washers and caulking on the TM and a backing plate on the Fleetwood. I have not put one in the 3326 yet, but I have a box installed in my Ford TV.

In the 3124 I installed a top load safe under the left bench seat just in front of the water tank. Close fit but I could open and close it for valuables. Did a lot of measuring under the trailer to miss wires, propane and frame, and it worked just fine. Used galvanized bolts that were coated with caulk, and then the bolt and nut under the trailer were sealed with caulk as well.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Scrubjay,

That under the back seat location is a good idea. My supercab f-150 could handle that. However, one of the main things I want to carry in it has to be in "a locked compartment not accessable from the passenger compartment" in my state.

Tom
I have considered buying a clock like this for the TM:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/200...-some-options/

My TM did not come with a clock like some of the older models did. The wall clock according to this site looks funny because it is so thick.

These clocks has been available at Sportsman's Guide but no longer seem to be available there. I did see that Amazon also carries them.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...tegory=&q=safe