TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
tshawah

Default Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

My husband and I - our hound dog and daughter are planning a 4 night 5 day excursion to the Smokies. My husband would like to stay in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. We also want to spend time hiking and enjoying the National Park. We've gone on several websites rating various campgrounds in the area. My husband narrowed it down to three - Creek Side, RiverBend and Camping in the Smokies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Natalie
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
CAmark
Site Sponsor

You'll get more replies but here is a thread you might be interested in ....http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8877

mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We goto Gatlinburg area frequently so we have stayed all over Hotels, Motels & now the TM which has been the best way to stay in Gatlinburg especially. My wife researches & ask allot of questions before we pick a park & so far she has done a good job. The three parks we have stayed at have all had their positives & negatives & we would stay at any one of them again although we really liked CreekSide due to our dog liking it so much because of the ducks. Also we like to be close to activities since we a City people.

Most Recent Park

This is my wifes review from 2009:

We stayed here at Smoker Holler from July 3 - 12th and loved our stay. It is located 9 miles off the Parkway from Pigeon Forge and is in Sevierville. It is only 4 miles from Townsend and you can be in Cades Cove in no time at all. This is a very quiet park with beautiful mountain views. We really enjoyed this park because we loved being able to go hiking in the mountains and didn't have the traffic of Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg just to get there. We have always stayed in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg and also visited those areas while staying here but found that we loved going to Townsend and Cades Cove on our trip. If we hadn't have stayed here we would have never visited all of these new areas. The owner is very nice and she will even walk over to your campsite to help you pull into your spot if you need it. She likes to make sure that she gives you the old fashioned service that you don't get anywhere else. We found her through our Camp Club USA membership and received 1/2 off for our stay. At $12.50 per night for my husband, myself, our son and our dog. You can't beat that at all. She welcomes you, your kids and pets. This was the only park that we have stayed at that has huge sites. The back ins and the pull through sites. It was nice not getting woke up in the morning when your neighbors are leaving. We didn't hear a thing! This is the quietest park! There is also a nice big pavilion to use for larger groups or just to go up there and sit under for shade or eat at the picnic tables. The work campers are super nice too and will let you know what to do in the area. It was a pleasure to meet everyone. Our son, who is 14, enjoyed staying here too. He liked riding his scooter on the paved road next to the park. This park is gravel and grass, but they are very level. There are many stores, gas stations and a laundry mat within a short driving distance. If you need to have a pool, concrete sites or noise then this is not the park for you. If you want a simple, quiet park with awesome mountain views then this is the park for you! We can't wait to stay here again!

Park #2

UPDATE: 08/2010
We have now stayed at Creekside 3 times & most likely will not stay again. My wife is working on 3rd review :-(

We stayed 10 days at CreekSide it was a really nice Park although parking was an issue. It was very nice having the ducks outside the window. We had planned another stay but had to cancel & then tried to reschedule but couldn't get in so we had to find a new park. Also not a big deal but even though they was full we still have a credit for one day we paid for in advance.

This is my wifes review from 2008:

This is a nice park & convenient to anything around. Plenty of grocery stores, gas stations & shopping. We always enjoy going to the Black Bear Dinner Show & Dollywood so it was nice not having to drive a long way there. We stayed on stream side for 10 days & love the ducks (approx. 40) that are quacking, love being fed & swimming in the stream. The park is pet friendly with a lot of room to carry your dog on a walk- of course you should clean up after your doggy. The only negative we found is the parking. We stayed in one that does not have enough room for a larger vehicle to park so thankfully we have a Land Rover that could be parked sideways. There are quite a few other spots that we would like to stay in next time that has enough room for parking. I don't know why everyone says that this park doesn't have room enough for their trailers because we didn't have a problem there. Ours is a 30' travel trailer & we fit fine. We really enjoyed our stay here because of the convenience & how nice the park is. The only other negative, I guess, is the owners are not really personable, but that is fine as long as they are not mean & they weren't. You never hear from them really so as long as you follow the rules of the park you will be left alone your entire stay. We will definitely stay here again. You can't beat the price ($18 - $30 with discount clubs). During the holidays we got the 10% discount for being a member of the Good Sam Club & other times we got 1/2 off because of being in the Camp Club USA travel club. We didn't use the bath house but we heard from others that it is very clean. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

Park #1

This is my wifes review from 2008:

We also have stayed in Gatlinburg at Twin Creek RV Resort:

This was a very clean park; safe & family oriented. We enjoyed this park for our first camping experience & it has set the bar high for any other park. The only negative would be that it is more expensive than others, but it is worth the extra cost. You receive 10% off with your Good Sam membership. The owners are very nice & the working campers too. It is 2 miles off of the main parkway in Gatlinburg & we walked to downtown Gatlinburg with no problems. There is a trolley stop at the campgrounds if you need it. A grocery store is conveniently located across the road from the campgrounds, just turn to the right when leaving the park & it is on the left. We stayed here for 7 days during the 4th of July & really enjoyed being here. The owners really care about their park & it shows. There is trash pick up all the way up until 2 pm...after that you need to make sure that you don't keep it outside since you are in “Bear” country, so it is advisable to put it in the dumpster. This park is safe; your children can play, you can walk at night & we didn't have any problems with anything going missing when we left things out. We stayed on the creekside which was so much better because of the view & not backing up to another camper. We had a blast sitting out by the campfire & just relaxing at the campgrounds. We love to drive up in the mountains to go hiking so this is a convenient location for doing that. They have Internet if you need it but we have our own also. It is nice to be able to check emails while you are gone or check on the “happenings” in the area so that you know what to do while you are there. Our son loved camping & our doggy enjoyed it too. This park is animal friendly. The owners live on the grounds which is a plus. We didn't use the facilities because we have our own bathroom in the travel trailer. I did wash clothes at the laundry & that was a nice area. We didn't have any negatives about staying at this park. We thoroughly enjoyed it & will return again!

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Jim&Joan

Default Nice

Great reports!
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Your Welcome :-)

Now that the economy is recovering our business is doing better this year so we plan on getting a few trips in to new places. My wife already has Defeated Creek on her Radar along with Santa Claus IN.

2008 3023

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
tshawah

Default Thank YOU!!!!

WOW!! Your wife's reviews were awesome. Thank you so much for all the info. I think she should start her own camping guide for us TM owners.
Natalie
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshawah View Post
WOW!! Your wife's reviews were awesome. Thank you so much for all the info. I think she should start her own camping guide for us TM owners.
Natalie
Well now she is Blushing She said Thanks for the compliment & she plans on writing more reviews this year since we haven't been able to go on many trips due to having to work very hard on bringing in business. As I said she has plans on a few trips this year.

She writes allot & I personally think she is very good at writing. She has single handedly written all text on our many web sites which I could never do.

2008 3023

Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Chief-e9

My wife and I stayed at Clabough's Campground in Pigeon Forge this weekend and really enjoyed it. We will probably always use this campground when in Pigeon Forge. We stayed on site C2 and thoroughly enjoyed. All their RV sites have full hookup to include sewer and we paid $33 a day. Had breakfast in their restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed. The campsite is just off the main drag of Pigeon Forge. They have their own website for more info.

As a side note we stayed at the KOA in Pigeon Forge last month that we had reserved in December but was not too pleased with the staff. The campground is clean, nice looking, has pool, etc. Plus, we'd stayed there before and was well satisfied. However, this time they assigned us to the only site that had a tree growing out of concrete pad thus prevented using our awning. When I asked why they didn't contact me to see if that was okay I was advised I should have let them know I had an awning and it was not their job to babysit. This came from the campground owners daughter who was working front desk. Also, their internet was down for the entire weekend and the wife's answer was since it's "free" we shouldn't be concerned. (I was attending a classic car buy/sell type show thus internet access was important to prices, etc. and was a primary reason I picked them).
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
girlbugspoppa

We stayed at Smoky Bear Campground last September, and really enjoyed it. It's a little out of town but not too bad a drive, on Hwy 321 east of Gatlinburg. Not too big, nice facilities (clean shower house, nice playground, small pool.) You can also go to www.rvparkreviews.com and get some good reviews of parks in that area. Mcgyvers wife (Mrs. Mcgyver?) has written some excellent reviews on that site.
'05 Ford F-150 Supercab
5.4 Ltr.
Prodigy Brake Controller
:cool: :cool:
girlbugspoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
ronanderson

Default Gatlenburg camping option

We discovered another camping option in the area. The tva has 2 campgrounds at Douglas Dam in Severville. Larger sites than most of the campgrounds we visited and $20 for water and sewer. From I40 take Hwy 66 to left on 139 and follow the signs.