TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Beak12

Default Good Sam and Thetford

Got my August issue of Good Sam's Highways and the Action Line section a member writes about having a smell in the Thetford toilet after it has been dumped and cleaned. Thetford had them replace the (vinyl skirt assembly inside the toilet) which solved the problem.
OK TM'ers my TM is new to me (last week ) 2004 2720, how does one change/replace this vinyl skirt? Thanks for any advice or directions to go to.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
wmtire

John, I went and read the article you referred to in the August issue of "Highways", page 42.

According to the article writer, Thetford advised the Tmanor owner to replace the vinyl skirt every 1 to 2 years, depending on usage.

I am really wondering about this, because it would seem that Thetford would give a replacement guideline for this in their owner's manual, if this was a common replacement routine, as the article implies.

Bill has the Thetford manual posted here, which does show the vinyl skirt (#10 in the exploded parts diagram). The diagram shows the skirt to have it's own part number, whereas the article said it was part of a kit until they contacted Thetford about it.

http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...Magic%20OM.pdf

When cross-checking against the Thetford site, it is now in an high cost assembly, just as the article writer complained about. It's kind of a contradiction.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/P...8/Default.aspx

Thetford also gives instructions in the manual for replacement/repair of more common routines....but nothing about the vinyl skirt replacement.

Hopefully, your question will get answered in short by the great members here in the forums. You've got me curious now.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
jpcoll01

Assuming you can buy it, 4 screws to take off the top of the toilet and you'll see where the replacement skirt goes, approx 7 minute job total. All you need is a big phillips head screwdriver (and some rubber gloves, but you don't have to have those, ha ha).
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoll01 View Post
Assuming you can buy it, 4 screws to take off the top of the toilet and you'll see where the replacement skirt goes, approx 7 minute job total. All you need is a big phillips head screwdriver (and some rubber gloves, but you don't have to have those, ha ha).

I neet some more advice on "Take off the top of the toilet" how much and just what is the top

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
freein05

You guys are quick to pick up on news! My wife read the article yesterday and had me read it. We cut it out and put in our TM binder for future reference.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
PaulineF
Site Sponsor

Default Update on part availability

I called Thetford yesterday morning (July 29, 2008) and tried to order the vinyl skirt. The person I spoke with was not able to identify a SKU number just for that part. She promised to research the question with her supervisors and call me back.

When I did not get a call back in 24 hours, I called Thetford again today (July 30, 2008) and spoke to a different customer service representative. I was put on hold briefly while she reseached the status. I was then told that "the vinyl skirt is still sold only as part of a vinyl assembly kit." The cost of the kit is $148. She explained that Thetford is working on making the vinyl skirt available separately and has received quite a few calls. She took my name and contact information and will notify me when the issue is resolved.

I suggest that if others are interested in the part, they should also contact Thetford (1-800-521-3032) to request the part. I would hope that with more owners contacting them about this component, the issue will be resolved faster.

We are not members of the Good Sam Club; however, if other TM Forum members are, I ask that they contact the Good Sam Action Line Department. I think they would want to know that the issue of this Pricey Component, as they called it in the column, is not yet resolved for others.

Pauline F
PaulineF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

In post #26 of this thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=7544&page=3

...I posted a link to a retailer that sells the vinyl skirt separately for about $15. Shipping is a little pricey though, but still way cheaper than $150. I also pasted the skirt Thetford item number there...maybe you'd get a different answer if you tried to order it by part number. FWIW.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Finally you all are getting the message. I had many posts about getting the skirt in hopes that some of you would call Thetford about it. I am hopping that this will work,

This is the copy of the e-mail I received from them. They also took my name and phones number but never called me back.

Good Morning,

I have forwarded your email on to my manager for further information. I will let you know as soon as I get a response.

Thanks,

Darlene
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Dave, the people at RV parts center can’t get it either.

e-mail back from order.

Hi,
Sorry we do not. It looks to be be obsolete.

Thanks,
Chris at CD RV Parts Center
www.rvpartscenter.com
951-353-2992
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Come to think of it, although certainly inconvenient, it would not be difficult to make your own "vinyl skirt" out of a piece of shower curtain. You can use just about anything for a weight, as long as it doesn't rust, such as a stainless bolt from your local hardware store. Then you just need a way to seal the vinyl together to make it cylindrical and to encapsulate the weight. Glue, heat gun, vacuum bag sealer (like the Foodsaver), soldering iron, etc.

Use a zip tie to fasten it to the bowl, and you're done.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote