TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
RCCBV1

Default Equalizer Hitch and Swing Tongue

When I purchased my TM I elected to have a Swing Tongue installed on it. This allows me to store it in the garage. I also decided to use the Equalizer Hitch because of some experience with a full size TT that decided it wanted to move in front of the tow vehicle on a muddy road. The trailer electric brakes corrected the problem, and allowed an oncoming vehicle to pass me. I did not have sway control at that time, but installed it right after this trip. No more tail wagging the dog. (I know, you shouldn’t need sway control with a TM, but I’m somewhat set in my ways.)

I found that the Equalizer Hitch spring arms could not be adjusted to the correct position, because of interference with the TM Swing Tongue hinge pin. (First Picture) I talked with Progress Mfg Inc. (Equalizer Hitch Manufacturer) and they suggested that I move the Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket on the driver side out to provide the necessary clearance. This is accomplished by installing a solid spacer between the TM frame and the Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket. (Second Picture) I purchased six additional Equalizer Hitch Inside Link Plates (from Progress Mfg Inc) and two new six inch bolts (local hardware), to create the solid spacer. The Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket on the passenger side remains attached directly to the frame. (Third Picture) These modifications have allowed me to distribute the TM hitch weight between both TV axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrid.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1504  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Carole

Default Equalizer & WDH

We feel strongly about using an Equalizer WDH on our 2619 TM. We jack-knifed
our rig on I-15 north of Salt Lake City, June 2005. We were not set up at that time with an "Equalizer WDH". No one was hurt, and no other cars were involved, but we feel so blessed to be alive today. An extra margin of safety is good to have, when needed! At the time of accident, we were towing with a Honda Pilot!

Carole

2004 2619 TM swing away hitch, dual Honda 2000 generators
2006 Nissan Titan
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You both seem to feel that the Equal-i-zer has something to do with keeping the trailer from jack-knifing. I'm not sure this is true. Are you sure you are not thinking of the Helmsley hitch, which does indeed advertise this, and appears to have a special geometry that would make it true? I have become convinced that some unscrupulous dealers do indeed compare the Equal-i-zer with the Helmsley.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
RCCBV1

In my case, the swaying of the TT started very gradually, but increased in magnitude. I selected the Equal-i-zer hitch to provide some additional control of trailer swaying. The standard WDH's don't, and the CAM anti sway will not fit on the swing tongue. The only reason for my posting was to give some information on how to install an Equal-i-zer Hitch on a TM with a swing tongue.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I just hope that some readers don't jump to the conclusion that they need a WDH. I was instructed by the factory to *NOT* use a WDH.

But the size of my TV is slightly above average.

From the TM website:
We recommend using a Class 3 hitch with load equalizing bars for most vehicles (not necessary on heavy trucks).

So, if you have a heavy truck DO NOT USE A WDH. All you need is a Class 3 hitch and you should be good to go.

If you do have a smaller TV then by all means get the proper hitch. You may need load equalizing bars, but there should be no need for sway bars. If you think you need sway bars then you might want to look at another cause of your problem.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
masterge

Well, I haven't picked up my 2720 yet. As a future new owner, I have tried to do a lot of research in this area and ask a lot of questions. It seems to be about a 50/50 pro/con split on using a WDH or not. My TV is a 2007 Avalalnche and I'm just going with the hitch unless someone can convinve me otherwise. What is a heavy truck? It is a full size pick up or van? My Av is heavy compared to what most folks seem to be using to tow their TMs. But if a heavy truck is a duelly like a Ford 350, I have a light truck. Anyhow, I'll start off towing with just the hitch and see how it goes.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
PopBeavers

We need a new thread on when a WDH hitch is necessary and when it should not be used.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
RCCBV1

Lets look at the original post. If you have a Swing Tongue, this is how you can install an Equal-i-zer hitch if you want to. It is not, should you have a WDH, nor is it an advertisement for Equal-i-zer. Each of us makes informed decisions on what we believe are the best combination for our tow package. So, the topic is Swing Tongue with an Equal-i-zer hitch.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question Is it a good idea, NOT to have the "curb" side spread the same?

Great solution!

But the hitch bar on the side WITH the spacer plates is now a lot further "outboard" of the hitch member than the hitch bar on the other side side.

I'm not sure which "side" is which, your swing hitch is quite different from my non-TM "Dinuba" version, and also looks quite different from pictures of previous swing hitches posted by others. I also have 2619, so maybe I'd guess wrong by using the propane gas line as a guide to which side is which. The hitch pin on one of the sides appears to be on the INSIDE of its A-frame members, I wonder if this is new?

But back on topic: Does this create unbalanced torque with-framein the TM hitch? (The side without spacer plates has the same vertical force, but being applied at much less "moment" of offset causes less of a downwards-on-the-outside "twist" of the TM "A" frame to torque upwards, compared to the arm on the Street side.)

This is only a guess. Maybe it's more important to keep the total "twist" on each member as low as possible, even if the two arms aren't balanced -- because twisting the A-frame arm "box" members is very bad for the factory swing hitch? That's another guess, leading to the exact opposite conclusion.

I hope that we get comments from smarter guys than I (e.g., PBuck1) about this.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
RCCBV1

This is the design I got from Equal-i-zer. When I talked to them about it, I expected to have the same on both sides, but Josh at Equal-i-zer said it was not required.