TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Need Help with Roof Leak - New TM 2720SL

I need some help from TrailManor and/or other TM owners, and I welcome your suggestions.

We bought our 2006 TM 2720SL, in February. When the Spring rains started, I noticed water on the left side of the couch, below the antenna assembly. There were a couple drops of water on the assembly, and about two tablespoons of water on the couch.

I contracted TrailManor Customer Service, and was told that rain might be leaking in around the main seal when the TM was closed. They suggested that I raise front of the closed TM slightly, to cause water to run off the back of the unit. That's obviously not the problem or the solution I need, since I have confirmed that the leak is around the antenna - regardless of whether the unit is open or closed.

The dealer and I talked about this problem, last weekend, and he suggested that the problem might be a loose boot or insufficient caulking at the base of the antenna - on the outside of the TM. Yesterday, I bought some caulk (based on recommendations of members of this group) and looked under the boot at the base of the antenna. The hole was only half caulked, there was a gap across half of the hole. I filled the hole to the top, with caulk, and replaced the boot, making sure it was tight at the cable end and also at the antenna base end. Also, I made sure that the antenna was stowed properly (straight back from the base) with both pointers on the inside unit aligned with each other. Note: I have NOT tried putting the antenna up and seeing what happens. Also, I don't want to have to tow the unit to the factory in Tennessee, if this is something I can fix myself, with their approval. I THOUGHT I'd solved the problem - until it rained last night!

We had a heavy rainstorm overnight, and, this morning, I found that the leak is still there. Several more tablespoons of water leaked in.

That's the background, and I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem and fixed it. I noticed from the posting that several people have fixed leaks from improperly caulked roof seams. I've looked closely and the roof caulking looks OK. The leak has consistently been as described above, with water drops on the antenna crank handle.

Other than this problem, we love our TrailManor and are looking forward to enjoying many years of RVing with it.

Thanks - in advance - for taking the time to read this posting and offer help. I will also send a copy of this posting to TrailManor Customer Service.

Virginia Deacon
2006 TM 2720 SL
2000 Ford Explorer XLT (6-cylinder SOHC)
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Roof leak

Virginia,

Last Fall when camping in October, I developed the same leak at the antenna area. Ed Lytle sent me the caulking that they use at the factory to fix my leaks. I had leaks around the two roof vents, and the antenna was leaking and then dripping on the crank. The leaks around the vents was just because of being 4 years old. The caulking at the antenna area seemed to be good but, I recaulked around the entire base area. I then made sure that I put caulking all over each screw that attached the base to the roof. It worked so I don't know if it were leaking around the base or around the screws. Whatever I did, it worked and that's all that counts.

I made sure that I cleaned off the old caulking and then used mineral spirits to take off any oil or dirt & grease.

I would call Ed Lytle at the factory to see if he would send you a tube of the caulking since you have a brand new unit. The best way is to have the trailer down so you can get to the antenna easily.

Hope my suggestion works.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Bob,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was wondering if the factory folks might have missed a spot, on the base (the screws were all caulked). "Happy Trails" to you and yours.

Virginia Deacon
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon
I need some help from TrailManor and/or other TM owners, and I welcome your suggestions.

We bought our 2006 TM 2720SL, in February. When the Spring rains started, I noticed water on the left side of the couch, below the antenna assembly. There were a couple drops of water on the assembly, and about two tablespoons of water on the couch.

I contracted TrailManor Customer Service, and was told that rain might be leaking in around the main seal when the TM was closed. They suggested that I raise front of the closed TM slightly, to cause water to run off the back of the unit. That's obviously not the problem or the solution I need, since I have confirmed that the leak is around the antenna - regardless of whether the unit is open or closed.

The dealer and I talked about this problem, last weekend, and he suggested that the problem might be a loose boot or insufficient caulking at the base of the antenna - on the outside of the TM. Yesterday, I bought some caulk (based on recommendations of members of this group) and looked under the boot at the base of the antenna. The hole was only half caulked, there was a gap across half of the hole. I filled the hole to the top, with caulk, and replaced the boot, making sure it was tight at the cable end and also at the antenna base end. Also, I made sure that the antenna was stowed properly (straight back from the base) with both pointers on the inside unit aligned with each other. Note: I have NOT tried putting the antenna up and seeing what happens. Also, I don't want to have to tow the unit to the factory in Tennessee, if this is something I can fix myself, with their approval. I THOUGHT I'd solved the problem - until it rained last night!

We had a heavy rainstorm overnight, and, this morning, I found that the leak is still there. Several more tablespoons of water leaked in.

That's the background, and I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem and fixed it. I noticed from the posting that several people have fixed leaks from improperly caulked roof seams. I've looked closely and the roof caulking looks OK. The leak has consistently been as described above, with water drops on the antenna crank handle.

Other than this problem, we love our TrailManor and are looking forward to enjoying many years of RVing with it.

Thanks - in advance - for taking the time to read this posting and offer help. I will also send a copy of this posting to TrailManor Customer Service.

Virginia Deacon
2006 TM 2720 SL
2000 Ford Explorer XLT (6-cylinder SOHC)
Hello Virginia,

I had a leak on my 2002 2720 when when I first got it and my leak was similar in that I saw water on the ceiling and near the antenna mount, on the table, and dripping from the front cabinets. My dealership said that it was not uncommon for minor leaks to develop. They found that my leak was a failure of the center seam on the front shell. They fixed it by applying a bead of approved caulk down each side of the trim strip that covers the seam. That fixed it, so I did the same to the rear strip, and in the 4 years we have had our trailer, that was the only leak incident that we had. Is it possible that yours is doing the same? Check that strip on the roof and see if there is a gap between it and the roof.

Larry
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Caulking that they use at the factory??? Do you know the brand name of the caulk?????????
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
jimair1548

Default water leak

We have had a leak in the area you are talking about and found that the rubber cap on the antenna lead had come loose. The antenna lead goes down into metal mounting bracket at roof level and the rubber boot seals it at that point. Rotating the antenna can cause the boot to pop loose sometimes. I just put a little sealer on the boot, slipped it back in place, and it has been fine. Hope this helps....Jim
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Anytime a wires needs to penetrate a wall it should always go up to the hoe in the wall. If you have a wire coming down from a roof it should loop a few inches below the hole in the wall and then come up to penetrate the wall. This way any water that flows down the wire will drip off the bottom and not flow into the wall.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Roof Leak is Fixed

TrailManor Service representative (Ed Lytle) sent me a tube of their sealant. See my post under Factory Sealant for more info on sealant.

I was going to remove the antenna, clean it, and re-caulk. Decided I could make things worse, so removed and re-caulked the screws in the base, the hole where the antenna wire goes, the top and bottom of the boot, and touched up the caulk around the outside of the base.

I flooded the roof and antenna assembly, after a couple days, and there is no longer any leak.

Virginia Deacon
2006 TrailManor 2720SL
2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 w/SOHC V6 and Equal-I-zer hitch
Old 05-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Doug W.

I bought a used 2005 3124KS. I also had a leak. The caulk looked good, so I took the antenna apart and found the o-ring was missing on the elevator shaft assembly. That fixed about 95% of the leak. I would still get an occational drip during long rain showers. Less that 3 or 4 hours would be dry, but after that it would drip once every two or three minutes.

I mentioned it at the RV place where I was getting some accessories. The old guy behind the counter said most dealers try to patch the caulk and that does not work. He said to remove all the old caulk and then re-apply it. I happen to bring the TM in once, so he recommend a caulk and sold me a tube.

Sure enough, when I was removing the old caulk, you could tell there had been at least two attempts to repair the leak. There were two screws that look to be caulked well, but they were rusting. After removing and re-applying the caulk everything has been dry. I am waiting for one of those all day rains to say the issue is totally resolved.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #10
101kreasons

Yup, I have a 2009 2027 and loving it. Yup get some silcone unless I really screwed up and someone out there lets me know. Leaked at the awning and Ed fixed it at the factory. Later it leaked in the front just under the cabinent. Ed helped out on the phone with where it might be leaking. He was right - the front light was loose. I got some silcone outdoor sealer at Wal-mart and hit every where there's a screw. I also filled the hole for the wires. Seems that screwing into the alumin walls to install lights isn't easy and they get overscrewed and then get loose. Overscrewing also deforms the light housing and the seal is too thin. No leaks even after camping through TS Fay. But I'm viligant and ready with the silcone when it rains.