TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
coralcruze

Default Anyone have issues with fender well frame rott?

Owner of a 2005 Trailmanor 2720

So had to remove my fender well (see another thread about that) and noticed that the Framing has alot of wood rott. There isn't a single bit of silicone anywhere and is the reason that water was able to enter around the sides of the fender well when driving in any kind of weather or hitting puddles. The pictures you see is after I manually removed the rotted wood. The rest will need to be removed using power tools. Has anyone done this job on thier TM? If so what type of filler material is best for this application? I would think something like a two part epoxy or two part putty. How can I get into this area other than the fender well to remove the wood? I would rather not peel back any of the exterior or underside aluminum skin but can't think of any other way to get at it. Thanks.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
coralcruze

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_175159.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	20713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_175132.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	20714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_175152.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	20715  
Old 04-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Did you loosen the axle to frame mounting bolts? It looks like a gap between the axle and frame that shouldn't be there.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Did you loosen the axle to frame mounting bolts? It looks like a gap between the axle and frame that shouldn't be there.
You have impeccable attention to detail sir. Yes the axle bolts were loosened because it is getting ready for a lift kit upgrade. Maybe you can help with the appropriate choice of material for the fix of the wood rott? You seem to have alot of expierience with this stuff. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

If it were me, I'd take out as little of the original wood as possible. I'd carefully (and squarely) remove all of the wood rot then scarf in a new piece of wood. I'd use a "Multi-tool" or a 4" circular saw (or a combination) and make the cut as square and straight as possible.

See pic and youtube "How to scarf wood" or something. It isn't hard. I had to repair a wood mast on my sailboat one time in Africa. I learned how to scarf from an African shipwright. It was actually fun and when I sold the boat (70,000 miles later) the mast was still perfect. I even sailed through a cyclone with it between New Zealand and Australia in 1995.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scarfb.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	20717  
Old 04-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
coralcruze

Quote:
If it were me, I'd take out as little of the original wood as possible. I'd carefully (and squarely) remove all of the wood rot then scarf in a new piece of wood. I'd use a "Multi-tool" or a 4" circular saw (or a combination) and make the cut as square and straight as possible.

See pic and youtube "How to scarf wood" or something. It isn't hard. I had to repair a wood mast on my sailboat one time in Africa. I learned how to scarf from an African shipwright. It was actually fun and when I sold the boat (70,000 miles later) the mast was still perfect. I even sailed through a cyclone with it between New Zealand and Australia in 1995.
Wow thanks for sharing that story. It gratifying to see work you did last so long. Would love to see it one day.

By scarf do you mean a scarf joint of some kind? I guess I am unsure how someone is able to get deep enough into that area to remove the wood rott and cut a scarf joint. It appears to go in Pretty deep. In some areas it's more than 2".
Old 04-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #7
coralcruze

Quote:

Wow thanks for sharing that story. It gratifying to see work you did last so long. Would love to see it one day.

By scarf do you mean a scarf joint of some kind? I guess I am unsure how someone is able to get deep enough into that area to remove the wood rott. It appears to go I. Pretty deep. In some areas it's more than 2".

Perhaps a tool like this one could get most of the wood put?
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS354...a-820646831002
Old 04-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post

By scarf do you mean a scarf joint of some kind? I guess I am unsure how someone is able to get deep enough into that area to remove the wood rott. It appears to go I. Pretty deep. In some areas it's more than 2".

Perhaps a tool like this one could get most of the wood put?
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS354...a-820646831002
Were you able to blow up the illistration that I posted?

Some manufacturers call that Dewalt "Oscillating Tool", a "Multi-tool". Same tool.

If you have a mini-circular saw "4". I would plunge cut that at about the angle that I illustrated first. That would give you a nice square, straight cut to start from. Then I'd finish the cut with the Oscillating Tool. Then take your new 2x4 and lay it against the 2x4 that is left to get your cut line. Mark and cut that line on a miter saw so that it is perfectly straight. You can then dowel, screw and glue the two together. The dowels are for strength. The screws are mainly there to hold the 2 parts tightly together because you cant clamp them.

If you don't feel comfortable using dowels, just use long, #10 S/S wood screws. The main thing is to pre-drill the new part so the screws don't grip that wood. You want the screws to grip the old wood and draw the new wood into it as you tighten.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
coralcruze

Awesome ideas... yes I did see your pic but it kept closing on me for some odd reason. I will gather some tools and attempt this in about a week or so once I get the lift kit. The TM is in a remote location so I don't have power which furth complicates things. I do have a generator if need be and have an assortment of cordless tools as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was hoping to just use some two part putty and fill in an area instead just because running tools is difficult.

However thanks so much for your suggestions.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Awesome ideas... yes I did see your pic but it kept closing on me for some odd reason.
See if this works:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scarfc.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	20726