TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Thank you to everyone for all of the comments! Regarding the "ease of opening" issue, I was somewhat skeptical of the one-handed opening being the rule rather than the exception. I am definitely "of a certain age" but pretty fit (I do my own oil, tires, etc, am in the process of re-siding the skirt of the house) so strength is probably not going to be a huge issue. I tend to arrange my travel plans to arrive wherever by 5 pm latest (I like to be able to sit around and relax outside before having to pack it in for bed) so arriving in the dark isn't probably going to be an issue - backing in in the dark would be a FAR bigger problem than setting it up, for me at least. And rain, is rain. Once you're soaked through in 5 minutes, doesn't really matter if it takes 15 to set up.

I have a relatively small upright with my 19' Bigfoot, but the problem is the wind resistance. The Casita, or Scamp or Escape would likely be less of a problem (not as wide or as tall as the BF) but still an issue.

An looking at the bathroom and bed scenarios, I agree that the TM is a far superior choice - I want a decent bed, and need a proper bathroom, so that might eliminate the Aliner, unless I find just the right one.

I am looking at my options, and considering how much travel I would actually do in a year. Generally only one major trip every couple of years (might make it once a year if gas goes back down into the realm of realistic!). I might be better to stick with the BF and eat the gas. Would love to get into a TM just to see what it's like in there, and check out the set-up/take down process. I think there are a few up here, but all seem to be back east.

So thanks again for all of the help. You have given me a lot of good information and a lot to consider. Cheers from BC Deb
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #12
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
My TV is also a 6-cylinder 4runner, from the same 'generation' of 4Runner technology. (A 2007 'Sport' V6). My average gas mileage in daily driving is only 18, mostly due to living in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. Towing my TM-2619, in trips to and through the mountains, I usually get about 15 mpg. I am also a pretty aggressive driver, and I tow at higher highway speeds than you do.

With a 2619 or 2720, you'll probably see the same percentage of mileage loss that I do, rather than my lower number. My loss in towing is about 18%, getting 82% as many miles per tank. If you're now getting 21 MPG, that would be about 17.2 MPG while towing my Trailer in your terrain, with your less aggressive driving style.

My 2619 is a custom-built heavy-weight, it's more like a "short" model 3124 in many respects. Unless a 2720 owner adds a lot of solar panels or a bike rack, a 2720 will almost always weigh less than my 2619.
Thanks for this! Hard to compare apples to cucumbers! I love my 4Runner (428K kms and going strong) and the V6 is plenty big for pulling even my BF (about 3200 lb loaded). It's nice to know I could do fair bit better on gas than I am right now if I got into a TM (the 2720 seems like a good fit for me).

Not going anywhere this year no matter what I have - doing the front axle brakes on the BF before she goes anywhere, and some home repairs are taking up a chunk of the "disposable" income (when you're on a pension, there isn't really much disposable income ). So I have a lot of time to decide which way I want to go. Perhaps the right TM, at the right price, will fall into my lap, or at least come by so I can take a look.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #13
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Well looks like one just fell into my lap. A very nice looking 2720SL. Very good price and here in Canada. Only 2-3 days drive. Sent a deposit. I’ll hopefully be showing up in the new owners section soon.
Wish us luck!
Old 05-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #14
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Is it the one in Ontario, Canada? That’s just a couple hours away from me!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Is it the one in Ontario, Canada? That’s just a couple hours away from me!
Actually it’s in Winnipeg. Looks to be very nice condition inside and out. A few nice options - a/c, microwave instead of the oven (might pull that anyway for extra storage space, I’ll see), awnings on the front driver’s side windows, swing away hitch, a Thetford Aqua Magic V toilet upgrade by a PO and what appear to 15” wheels. I’m looking into finding someone local there who could pull the wheels and check the brakes and bearings before I take it on the highway (if I end up taking it, which I likely will). I could do it myself, but not really looking forward to spending at least 4 hours doing a 1 hour job in the sellers driveway. Better to get a pro check it out. Faster and safer. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #16
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
I'm going to adjust my torsion bars this weekend and see if I can get some better lift characteristics, I'm also looking into some mechanical advantage for lifting the front cap.
Dip the nose. The lower the nose, the easier it is to open the front shell. Then, level front to back and open the back shell. You may not need anything else, between tightening the bars and this.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote