TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Default "Y"....Why not?

I've given some thought as to how to make dumping easier...... And TM's having a "black tank" dump connection as welll as a separate grey tank connection makes the whole process harder than I think it should be.

I was thinking about using a "Y" adapter and a very short sewer hose )Cut to about 12" and hose clamped on to a single sided adapter.....

OR maybe redoing the whole thing and doing the LONG black tank tube and incorporating a "Y" in there as well...

Ideas?

Input?
Kory
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

They only did that a few years. Most have the black and gray tied to one outlet with separate slide valves. There was a time where EPA? DEC? was gonna try to make it so you had to dump gray in one place and black in another. Campgrounds pretty much said “yeah good luck with that” and if never took off and RVs went back to the single outlet.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
They only did that a few years. Most have the black and gray tied to one outlet with separate slide valves. There was a time when EPA? DEC? was gonna try to make it so you had to dump gray in one place and black in another. Campgrounds pretty much said “yeah good luck with that” and if never took off and RVs went back to the single outlet.
Wow, I sold RVs for a living (a few years ago) and I didn't know that! Ya learn sumpin every day! Still looking for a good solution though!

Kory
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 05-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Still looking for a solution (if there is one)
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 05-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I think it all depends on your use and desires. If you have and use the Thetford recirculating toilet, and if you think you are going to run into a use situation where additional black tank capacity would be useful, then the "long pipe" redo makes the most sense to me -- if you're going to do it, you might as well DO it. Also saves you from carrying around a tote you may or may not use. That being said, some have been able to fit a tote on the spare tire rack behind the tire, so it's there if you need it and out of the way if you don't. Again, different use model.

If, on the other hand, you don't have that need (toilet swapped for another model, don't stay long enough to need the extra capacity, etc) certainly a local "cut/paste" to add a Y connector is a lot less work.

Our toilet was swapped for a Curve (cassette) partially because we, too, had the separate dump outlets, and also because I felt the cassette would be an easier use model for my family than the recirc.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I think it all depends on your use and desires. If you have and use the Thetford recirculating toilet, and if you think you are going to run into a use situation where additional black tank capacity would be useful, then the "long pipe" redo makes the most sense to me -- if you're going to do it, you might as well DO it. Also saves you from carrying around a tote you may or may not use. That being said, some have been able to fit a tote on the spare tire rack behind the tire, so it's there if you need it and out of the way if you don't. Again, different use model.

If, on the other hand, you don't have that need (toilet swapped for another model, don't stay long enough to need the extra capacity, etc) certainly a local "cut/paste" to add a Y connector is a lot less work.

Our toilet was swapped for a Curve (cassette) partially because we, too, had separate dump outlets, and also because I felt the cassette would be an easier use model for my family than the recirc.
I have considered doing the "long pipe" mod... But I also own a tote... But have never used it. Seems like a gigantic hassle. Does anyone have "step" pictures or diagrams of the long pipe mod? Also here's another silly Q.. How is it employed? Let the recerc get mostly full, pull the handle. Then re"charge" it?
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 05-17-2022, 07:12 AM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
I have considered doing the "long pipe" mod... But I also own a tote... But have never used it. Seems like a gigantic hassle. Does anyone have "step" pictures or diagrams of the long pipe mod? Also here's another silly Q.. How is it employed? Let the recerc get mostly full, pull the handle. Then re"charge" it?
I didn't do it, but that's my understanding. The recirc requires the liquid to function, so you wait until it's full, then "dump" into the pipe and recharge. Depending on the additional pipe capacity, you may be able to dump a second time, and recharge, before needing to actually empty the whole system. Obviously, in this case you'd want to make sure you had a port near the "top" of the extra pipe to be able to flush the pipe out, as you're not going to be able to rely on the "whoosh".

There are some threads somewhere on the board about this, but I don't know if anyone posted pictures. From what I recall, the consensus was "there's only one way to run the pipe, it'll be obvious once you crawl under and look". Obviously make sure there's some drop in the pipe as you go.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I didn't do it, but that's my understanding. The recirc requires the liquid to function, so you wait until it's full, then "dump" into the pipe and recharge. Depending on the additional pipe capacity, you may be able to dump a second time, and recharge, before needing to actually empty the whole system. Obviously, in this case you'd want to make sure you had a port near the "top" of the extra pipe to be able to flush the pipe out, as you're not going to be able to rely on the "whoosh".

There are some threads somewhere on the board about this, but I don't know if anyone posted pictures. From what I recall, the consensus was "there's only one way to run the pipe, it'll be obvious once you crawl under and look". Obviously make sure there's some drop in the pipe as you go.
I was under my rig on Saturday and there is no room for any additional pipe under there. The grey tank takes up most of the available space. Going to have to go the reduce, reuse, recycle route!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Before you even think about doing the "long pipe" mod, check out the price of ABS pipe. I just got back from our local irrigation supplier. I was quoted $93 for a 10' piece of 4 inch pipe. I looked at a few of the elbow fittings etc. I figured I would be in about $400 for all the parts.

I love a good project but I'm going back to finding a standard, 12-15G black tank that I can mount above the axle.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:50 AM   #10
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

HOLLY COW for $400 (if I could do the long pipe mod) it ain't worth it for the
possibility of needing it one time a year. I stick to the tote!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah