TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
AmcFlorida

Default Cleaning and painting and hanging pics

Ok hi everyone!

Made it safe to my destination, and my rig 1998 Volvo pulled the 2720SL model year 2004 just fine!

Needed to add WDH and some boosters on the rear shocks

So, now I am set up. I am cleaning.

I am using fabuloso, some toothpaste for added grit and some bleach cleaners , aka fantastic with added bleach, some water when it runs low, and tea tree oil to make it smell fresh.

It doesn't look like I'm getting anywhere, and if I do progress it's a slow go.

Anyone else solve this problem, or just add lots of elbow grease?!?!😉

There are glue marks.

And there is dirty dusty stuff maybe the start of mold

How do I get rid of these things?

-- bleach water combo?
-- glue be gone?
--Harder chemicals?

Also, I want to paint some walls in here to break up the 'just white' look on the inside.

Can I use any paint, and did anyone here have success with painting inside the Trail Manor?

Also, I want to hand some pics, but I am hesitating putting nails and screws thru the walls.
--- can I do that? What is everyone using to hang decorations?

Thanks!

I am enjoying my new toy, home, office!

I will post up more fun facts that I found out, only by using the TM for about a month or so...

Thanks!

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220202_110208.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	20507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220202_110219.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	583.1 KB
ID:	20508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220202_111005.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	583.1 KB
ID:	20509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220201_114436.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	826.9 KB
ID:	20510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220130_142624.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	20511  

AmcFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Tymanthius

3m makes some picture hanger things that work like their hooks. Where when you go to remove it you just pull the tab.

They are kinda like velcro, really.
SoftStart AC*
Futon Style Couch*

*All done by previous owners
Tymanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
Tymanthius

Had to go look up your car and towing capacity. You're pushing the limits there. Are you a long time tower? or is this the first time?

Do you have trailer brakes? PLEASE tell me you do!

Did you make any other mods to the car?

Did you limit your speed?
SoftStart AC*
Futon Style Couch*

*All done by previous owners
Tymanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You say you are having trouble cleaning. Inside, outside, or bag seals? The answers will be different. If inside, does some of the grime seem like tobacco smoke residue? I restore old telephones, many of which were used in the days when everybody smoked all the time, and I know tobacco residue is one of the hardest things to get off, particularly off the mouthpiece where it piled up thickest.

If some of the bad stuff is lumpy or isolated spots, you might consider using a plastic putty knife to encourage it to pop off. It can be a lot easier to pop off a glob of glue than to try to gradually dissolve it layer by layer as you scrub it off. Even if it doesn't pop off cleanly, at least you have a lot less thickness to try to scrub off. Avoid a metal putty knife.

Sometimes painting over the stuff works well. Look for a post by Commodor47 about color-matching the interior paint. To my knowledge, he (actually his wife) is the only person to do this successfully.

Picture hanging can be done with Command Strips, as mentioned earlier. Try to use shallow ones, so they don't scrape as the shells fold up and down. I'm generally not a fan of velcro, because the strips seem to come off the wall when you don't want them to, and are impossible to remove cleanly when you do want them to. If you don't mind screw holes, the same brackets that support the wall cabinets are great. Another alternative is to put a small metal (steel) plate on the wall, maybe paint over it, and put a strong magnet on the back of the picture. Avoid the ceramic magnets from the dime store. Instead, K&J Magnetics offers all kinds of great rare-earth magnets for great prices. Because they are strong, they can be very small.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymanthius View Post
Had to go look up your car and towing capacity. You're pushing the limits there.
I agree with Tymanthius. The 1998 models all seem to be rated for 3300 pounds of towing capacity. When loaded for camping, your TM almost certainly exceeds this, possibly by a lot. You should pack it for camping, find a CAT scale (they are at many/most truck stops) and weigh it. It is easy - just ask the attendant what to do, they are used to the question. It is ten bucks well spent.

Quote:
Do you have trailer brakes? PLEASE tell me you do!
Again I am right in line with Tymanthius. Unless you added a trailer brake controller to your vehicle, and wired it to a 7-pin connector at the car's back bumper, you are in REALLY SERIOUS danger - not to mention illegal. Your trailer weighs more than your car - it MUST do its own braking!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #6
AmcFlorida

Hey guys! Thanks for the info, and yes I have brakes and I was going very very slow, 40-50 mph, on the way down. The 7.5 hour trip took 15 hrs.

And if and when I move, I will do the truck scale thing. Ten bucks is a good deal for POM piece of mind.

The cleaning I am doing is on the inside walls. Trying to scrape off the glue takes off the paint , but I will get a plastic scraper and try again.

The bags? Ru talking about the seals where the two halves meet?? And the side covers that are inside, the one you lift up when you close the unit down?

Basically the walls and the bags for now. Maybe there is something to :loosen: up the glue, and scrub off.

And maybe there is something to get the dirty stuff off of the bags?

If we don't know, I will just keep experimenting! Wanna make sure all is well inside my new home!

Thank you

Al

I am getting a new tow vehicle, and drove at night to be outta peoples way. Yes, packed light but still on the edge.

The 3M stuff, yes can get those for hanging. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I use kerosene to get the gummy stuff off. Yes, it is probably dangerous, so don't have any flames going at the same time and open up the windows. Sometimes I soak paper towels with it and tape onto the spots that are really gummed up and let it soak in for a while.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #8
AmcFlorida

BD,

Thanks I will give that a try, carefully!

Al
Old 02-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Actually it is liquid Coleman lantern fuel, we've always called it kerosene. We always bring a lot of paper towels with us, also wide masking tape. When we travel I tape the ceiling and walls in the front where the bag seals hit the ceiling and walls and it keeps the marks off of the ceiling and the walls. Every once in a while we need to clean off the bag seals on the ceiling and walls. Fantastic is a great cleaner for road grime.