TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Replace horizontal tank internal parts

Went camping last night. Have two horizontal propane tanks. One emptied immediately, and the gas systems would not work. Switchover valve shows red when pointed to either tank. This is the first time I have tried using gas out of the second tank.

Came home, and put the tank pigtail on the recalcitrant tank. Turned on the gas, but nothing came out of the hose (I had the tank horizontal, and vertical). Put the pigtail on my grill tank, turned on the valve, and gas comes out of the pigtail.

Has anyone had a tank that is full, but refuses to disgorge its gas? I am going to a propane center tomorrow afternoon, but having more information before I get there could be helpful.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Terryl

It sounds like the safety shut off is stuck in the closed position.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

+2 safety stuck.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

My obvious question - how to I "unstick" the safety valve? I have already tapped it on the ground in various positions, but nothing has changed. Is there a trick, or does that call for a new valve?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Update - Went to the propane store (rental yard that fills propane tanks). The technician said it felt like the tank was over-filled. He bled propane for about 10 minutes, and the safety valve could then open.

So, if you have a full tank, but can't get propane to come out, you may need to bleed propane/pressure off for a while. The tech didn't weigh the tank before the other tech started to bleed the propane, so I can't say how over-filled it was.

Bottom line, I didn't have to spend a nickle to get the situation remedied!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #6
eddugo

Wow! I thought one of the features of the new valves is that they can't be over filled.

I am having a difficult time with my horizontal bottles. The Acme connectors leaked so bad after 2 replacement sets that MR Heater gave me 2 POL (old type brass tighten with a wrench) type hoses and connectors to stop the leaks. that worked for the connection leaks, but the threads around the valve stem let gas pour out so right now I have one bottle in for a replacement valve. It's been there three weeks with the typical problems associated with ordering things - supply house has no idea, no call back from Manchester tank, wrong valves shipped. The USA company that made the original valves no longer makes the new valves so they are now all imports.

My furnace exhaust is right over the bottles so I am worried about leaks.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo View Post
Wow! I thought one of the features of the new valves is that they can't be over filled.

I am having a difficult time with my horizontal bottles. The Acme connectors leaked so bad after 2 replacement sets that MR Heater gave me 2 POL (old type brass tighten with a wrench) type hoses and connectors to stop the leaks. that worked for the connection leaks, but the threads around the valve stem let gas pour out so right now I have one bottle in for a replacement valve. It's been there three weeks with the typical problems associated with ordering things - supply house has no idea, no call back from Manchester tank, wrong valves shipped. The USA company that made the original valves no longer makes the new valves so they are now all imports.

My furnace exhaust is right over the bottles so I am worried about leaks.
How mine were fixed: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12913

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

LoveToCamp,

Aside from opening the main valve too quickly, which can cause the safety valve to lock up, there is one more possible reason for the lack of propane flow. The horizontal tank has a sticker stating it should be used in the horizontal position BUT filled in the vertical position. Perhaps the last time the tank was filled, the attendant did so with it in the horizontal position.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4091 (Large).JPG
Views:	21
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	12105  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Commodore, the techs made the same comment. My tanks still have the stickers on them, so it should be simple. And, the place that originally filled the tanks fills all tanks for The Car Show. They should know, but it could have been a new tech the day mine were filled. One worked fine through multiple refills, but when I finally let it run out and wanted to use the second tank, that's when I had no flow.

I have slow-opened the tanks every time, and can hear as the gas starts to flow from the tank. Even the tech did a few slow-opens, and couldn't get any flow. That's when he bled the tank for 10 minutes, and was then able to get flow.

eddugo, the Manchester part number is on the tank, so it shouldn't be hard to order the correct part, I would assume. At work, so I can't tell you the part number.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
eddugo

I called the company that made the original valves and they no longer make them. There is a seller on Ebay that has the replacement valves for about 26 bucks. Just search the Manchester number. That number is V20691.1. The number i called for tank information at Manchester is 800 640-6327
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote