TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Joesplace

Default Time To Go Camping!

Our 1 week maiden voyage to Fontainbleau State Park in Mandeville LA was such a big success, we're leaving in 4 days on a 5,000 mile 2 month camping trip from Louisiana to north California and back. It's time to put our Trailmanor 2720 to the test!

The last few months have been spent repairing our new to us 2005 TM. Here's a list of what we accomplished:
  1. 3 new tires
  2. new weather strip on entrance door
  3. metal screen on exterior openings
  4. re-caulk complete exterior
  5. replace bearings, seals and brake shoes
  6. new louvers
  7. new skirts
  8. change out two light fixtures
  9. new water heater anode, heating element & flush system
  10. new kitchen faucet
  11. new Formica in kitchen, bath and hall
  12. re-certify LP tanks
  13. all new plumbing on gray and black water
  14. clean carpet
  15. repair a few electrical items
  16. 1” thick mud flaps (metal plating w/rubber center)
  17. new batteries
  18. new curtains
We also joined Harvest Hosts RV Camping Club and have several reservations at different wineries and farms along our route. You stay free on their land but in exchange they request you purchase something from your host in appreciation for a free night's stay.

Most of our trip will be exploring National Park campgrounds and boondocking wherever we can. Our route stays off interstates and just explores back country roads and towns. And yes, we have snow chains for the high passes. Our plan is to be out about 2 months but who knows, we may find something that peaks our interest. Life's too short not to explore, see new places and meet new people.

Oh, we also joined Coach-Net emergency roadside assistance but hope we never have to make that call . . .

We will posts some pics along the way and let you know how Harvest Hosts camping works out.

Joe & Jodi
Joesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Nice plans, travel safely.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Sounds like a go plan. We will back on the road Dec 1 taking the back roads to Yuma, AZ with a detour into CA. Still finishing up on odds and ends from our last 8 months on the road.
Pleasant journeys.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Sound like you were busy getting the camper the way you want it. Have a nice trip. We like camping in NC from SMNP to the beaches of the Outer Banks.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Sounds like a go plan. We will back on the road Dec 1 taking the back roads to Yuma, AZ with a detour into CA. Still finishing up on odds and ends from our last 8 months on the road.
Pleasant journeys.
I don't know your itinerary, but if you plan to be well north of Yuma at any time - say, near Laughlin - take a leisurely drive up Rte 68 going east out of Laughlin. Let us know what you think. This is the famous Davis Dam test road for the new SAE towing standard J2807, currently being discussed in another thread. It is more than 10 miles of steady, relentless, 6% upgrade. It is not the worst challenge your rig will ever encounter, but certainly not an easy one either, and in my opinion is a great way to arrive at a realistic rating for a tow vehicle. Your rig, like my 4.6L V-8 Explorer, will manage, but you will know it is being tested.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
wilson

Sounds like a great trip Joe! Be safe and enjoy.

Harvey & Elaine Wilson
'05 2720SL
'01 Tahoe LT
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
moaboy

Look forward to hearing how u like the Harvest Hosts. Something I think I would very much like to do, but have never gotten much feedback.
Good luck.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Joesplace

Just looked at some of the temps where we will be staying this week and next . . . CRAP - it's gonna be cold! I've never been in a travel trailer when the temps are in the teens . . .
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
moaboy

Joesplace, how was the trip? What did think of using HarvestHost?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Joesplace

We are out in northern California now and I can say I do not think this state is NOT very Rv friendly. All water in state and federal campgrounds has been turned off because of the drought problem so many also shut down dump stations. Not many Rv campgrounds with full hookups around unless you want to pay $60+ a night.

Anyway Harvest Hosts works good but a lot of rural winerys are only open on weekends so that's the only time they let you stay. Most are very glad to let you stay on their property in exchange for a purchase. We drink wine but the farms work better because I rather have fresh produce.

Would I join again? YES its worth the money for us and I enjoy meeting new people, touring farms and seeing how everybody makes wine. Most even give you a complete tour when you arrive.

Our trip to date has been great! I plan to post pics when we return home in about 4 weeks. Can't wait to get back to the high desert - it's my favorite . . .