TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
sleepyslo

Default Okay to mount L-Brackets forward of of swing tongue hitch

Is the swing tongue durable enough to allow me to mount the L-Brackets for my E2 WDH hitch's spring bars in front of the hinge or must they be mounted behind it?

I hope this makes sense, I'm a little new to this. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyslo View Post
Is the swing tongue durable enough to allow me to mount the L-Brackets for my E2 WDH hitch's spring bars in front of the hinge or must they be mounted behind it?

I hope this makes sense, I'm a little new to this. Let me know what you guys think.
I don't trust the swing hitch at all, there have been very few failures reported. But you might create one that has been reported.
My brackets are behind the swing hitch pivot points. This required modifying the street side spring bar as it wasn't long enough. I have an older Reese WDH.
You can search for more info under WDH on the site.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
ottfour

Mine too are mounted behind the swing hitch pivot points but no modifications had to be made to the bars. I agree that mounting in front of the pivot points could possibly be unsafe.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Just one more opinion:

Since the length of the spring bars on any WDH pretty much dictates where the L-brackets must be placed, in my case they had to go behind the hinge. And, since we are only talking about a relative small distance in placement (small change in leverage) i am thinking that there would not be that much difference in the amount of torque applied to the hinge.

Tim
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Just one more opinion:

Since the length of the spring bars on any WDH pretty much dictates where the L-brackets must be placed, in my case they had to go behind the hinge. And, since we are only talking about a relative small distance in placement (small change in leverage) i am thinking that there would not be that much difference in the amount of torque applied to the hinge.

Tim
I think the load on the hinge is going to be fairly similar either way and, unfortunately, a worst case from a load-zone point of view (better to have splices in beams at the 1/4 points instead of the load points where the maximum bending moments are). There having been a few people with hinge problems (though most apparently are without problems), it might be prudent to keep an eye on the hinge area and hinge hardware from time to time (red flags might be signs of bent metal or things that don't fit right any more).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
sleepyslo

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to see about mucking with it this weekend.

Tags
typo