TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
dr carver
Site Sponsor

Default Where does the weight go?

Weight distributing hitches do just that - distribute weight. It takes the tongue weight from the hitch and distributes it between the tow vehicle front , rear, and trailer axles.

So I'm curious: has anyone taken weights of these 3 with and without the weight distributing bars/chains connected? It would be interesting to know the real-world difference.
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

It varies, according the "overhang" of your Tow Vehicle's hitch receiver. With my 2007 4Runner TV and my heavy, fully-loaded "31245-like 2619" loaded to present about 450 lbs of unsprung hitch weight on that receiver, I did "before and after" measures of the 3 axles at a nearby truck scale - but I didn't write down those numbers for "future reference".

IIRC, 4Runner rear axle weight went down by over 400 lbs. Before cinching up the WDH, it was carrying a lot of weight from the UNLOADED 4Runner front axle, as well as the full weight of the hitch (in a situation with pretty severe torque at the hitch receiver, due to that front axle "unloading").

I measured before and after, but didn't write down the numbers I obtained for any
"future reference". Cinching up the WDH chains to create level "axle compression" on the front and rear axles of the 4runner (equalizing the measuring change in wheel well height for the TM unattached versus attached) the front and rear axles of the TV were "loaded" by about 250 lbs each, in comparison to sitting with the TM unattached, and the TM axle was increased by about 150 lbs.

Without WDH cinched up, rear axle loading was around 650 pounds higher with TM attached (450 from the hitch, and another 250 created by unloading the front axle of the 4Runner, creating a probably dangerous situation for braking and steering control).

WDH adds a lot of torque at the hitch receiver (in the reverse angle/"direction" from the torque created without one), but my hitch ("RATED" for only 5000 lbs) has not cracked from using this WDH with fairly high tension. I check it quite often.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
dab1950
Site Sponsor

Default Trailer Towing Calculator

I am posting the website to a "Trailer Towing Calculator" in hopes many of the questions
about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptraile...utionhitch.php

Instructions:

Enter tow vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter trailer vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter hitch ratings and weights.

Note, the solutions will automatically be updated when any of the input date fields are modified or changed.
The solution section contains the calculated load and rating for each of the enter truck or trailer ratings. For some loads, the value is simply the entered weight.
In addition, gauge charts are provided to visualize the loads. If the needle is in the green the load is within the rating. Red represents an exceeded load. The transition between the green and red areas represents the rating.

Credit: Jimmy Raymond

dab1950 = Doug and Sue
2006 2720SL, 15" wheels, swing tongue, electric stab jacks(very nice).
New Dometic(Atwood) Aircommand A/C(2019).
2018 Toyota Highlander, WDH, Primus IQ BC.
2008 Dodge Durango-sold
Honda EU2200i Inverter/generator
1996 Playbouy Pontoon boat. 50 HP Tohatsu OB.
"Love to Sail", "Love to fish", "Love to camp".
Albums
dab1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab1950 View Post
[A calculator where].... questions about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.
Done! A copy of this entire post is now in the Technical Library. This will be a very useful tool, but it is not necessarily easy to use because you must know (or assume) many of the weights and measures of your particular rig.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab1950 View Post
I am posting the website to a "Trailer Towing Calculator" in hopes many of the questions
about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptraile...utionhitch.php

Instructions:

Enter tow vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter trailer vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter hitch ratings and weights.

Note, the solutions will automatically be updated when any of the input date fields are modified or changed.
The solution section contains the calculated load and rating for each of the enter truck or trailer ratings. For some loads, the value is simply the entered weight.
In addition, gauge charts are provided to visualize the loads. If the needle is in the green the load is within the rating. Red represents an exceeded load. The transition between the green and red areas represents the rating.

Credit: Jimmy Raymond
The only thing that must be remembered, in order for this calculator to work, one must use "Actual" scale weights. Published gross weights are useless.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
dr carver
Site Sponsor

Thanks all.

Again, this is just satisfying my curiosity... "inquiring minds want to know.."

Thanks rickst29 for your recollections. The 150# additional load on trailer axle probably wouldn't make much difference unless you're living life on the edge!
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes, this has been reported on by a few members, including myself, where the weights with and without the WDH were measured. I can't find my post, but here's one:

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=10652

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

here's a good way to get your accurate tongue weight.

Just follow the directions and double the scale weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03731.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	997.0 KB
ID:	21046   Click image for larger version

Name:	TongueWtScale.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	21047