TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
saltamonte

Default Mattress Height

I have a 2007 2720SL that I'm outfitting for use on my first trip early next year. I've been working without any time off, so my unit has been in storage. I want to change the factory mattress to a thicker one. Does anyone have any experience installing a thick mattress and finding that they're having problems closing the unit? the mattress I want to install is probably twice as thick as the one that came with the unit.

Dan
2007 2720 SL
2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4
Supercharger w/ TJM Bullbar & Winch
Old 10-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Scott O

We use a queen AeroBed. Very comfortable if you like this sort of mattress. Let the air out, and it fits well even with a Travesack on top.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Duane C.

We tried a queen short pillow top cover that we got at camping world that made ours a much better bed. No issues closing the trailer either. It was about $60 but it worked. Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
wboudx

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltamonte View Post
Does anyone have any experience installing a thick mattress and finding that they're having problems closing the unit? the mattress I want to install is probably twice as thick as the one that came with the unit.
I use a memory mattress, that is about 2" thick, on top of the original mattress and I am NOT able to close rear shell. The memory mattress is thinner than the original mattress. We fold memory mattress and store on couch when closing TM.

Walt
Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
lnussbau

I do the same as Walt, a queen size 2" memory foam mattress on top of the original -- really comfortable. At first I tried leaving the foam on top when closing, and I was able to eventually force it to close, but it was a chore, and probably not good for the TM. So now, when closing up, I fold the foam mattress into quarters, pick it up and store on the couch before closing up. Just takes a moment or two.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Carol212

We just ordered a new mattress for our 3124ks 2007 king bed today. It is custom made by Worleybeds factory outlet. http://worleybeds.com/ they have you actually lay down on different options and then make it to fit in our case 78 x 78 x4inches high ( King Size ) I am so excited since we live in our TM from April to Sept. With this special order we will have no problem closing the TM and get our special level of comfort. So if you are in the area or not please check them out. You will not be sorry.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Goodyear Travels

My wife and I have a 1.5 inch thick memory foam topper that we use in our '07 2720sl. It closes perfectly and the topper and TM mattress (together) are just as comfortable as our very expensive home mattress. We got it at Kohls about a year ago. It's also a bit larger that the TM mattress and it helps reduce the cold air that tends to seep in from the edges. We wouldn't trade it for anything. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #8
BrigCA61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
My wife and I have a 1.5 inch thick memory foam topper that we use in our '07 2720sl. It closes perfectly and the topper and TM mattress (together) are just as comfortable as our very expensive home mattress. We got it at Kohls about a year ago. It's also a bit larger that the TM mattress and it helps reduce the cold air that tends to seep in from the edges. We wouldn't trade it for anything. Good Luck.
We've got the same thing (and at Kohl's) and I can't speak any more highly of it. I look forward to sleeping in the trialmanor. We have a pillowtop Thomasville mattress at home (expensive) and it is every bit as comfortable as the one at home. I've also got a standard quilted comforter (not thick) and sheets on the bed and the Trailmanor closes every time with no problems. I do take the pillows off tho and store them up front.

The only problem I have is when we camp in cooler weather and the condensation builds up on the metal sides of the bed. Generally I just line the sides with beach towels which seems to work ok and in the morning hang them up to dry out as they are somewhat damp. Has anyone tried putting up wood paneling in the bedroom area to reduce the amount of condensation? I have noticed that where the wood paneling is in the living area, there is no condensation but it accumulates quite heavily on the windows and metal walls. We do keep two windows cracked but that doesn't help much.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
FightinIrish

I know several people have suggested the little swim noodles tucked under the lip at the exterior around the bed. We are going to be camping in North Carolina for Thanksgiving so it should be much cooler than here in Florida. Got the swim noodles purchased and ready to give them a try.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
BrigCA61

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinIrish View Post
I know several people have suggested the little swim noodles tucked under the lip at the exterior around the bed. We are going to be camping in North Carolina for Thanksgiving so it should be much cooler than here in Florida. Got the swim noodles purchased and ready to give them a try.
I think that would help with the draft coming in through there but probably not much help with the condensation. We also run a heater on low at night which I'm sure only exasperates the problem.